Ultimaker S5 | impressions & opinions

SandervG

Posted · Ultimaker S5 | impressions & opinions

When's the release date?

I've been nagging/begging/asking/hoping Ultimaker would offer a larger scale printer....I hope that's what this is and then some!

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker S5 | impressions & opinions
    7 minutes ago, Swissengineer said:

I don't see a top enclosure...

What would you use a top enclosure for? Do you print nasty things like ABS and do not have a ventilated area?

Edited by Dim3nsioneer
    • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Dim3nsioneer said:

What would you use a top enclosure for? Do you print nasty things like ABS and do not have a ventilated area?

Well, it does make the outside world influence your prints less. If your printer is sitting in a drafty area, you will notice the difference.

10 minutes ago, nallath said:

Well, it does make the outside world influence your prints less. If your printer is sitting in a drafty area, you will notice the difference.

I would have said most of those effects are eliminated by a front door as e.g. in the advanced 3d printing kit of the existing UM printers.

40 minutes ago, Dim3nsioneer said:

1) Less noise (Desktop printer is close to your desk...)

2) Stable print whatever material (yes we use ABS)

3) Stable print whatever climatic situation (wind coming from window or from ventilation) also UVs

4) No dust inside the printer (and attaching to oily rods)

5) Overall less external variations between prints

6) Better mechanical structure : more rigidity

7) Futureproof: I think the goal is to put a 3D printer in every office (maybe every home one day), So a fully enclosed printer is the way to go....

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Dim3nsioneer said:

So you must have quite some dilithium left... offer please... :'D

You can get all the warp speed you want at http://emptyepsilon.org (shameless plug)

Also note that dilithium is an actual thing, but it's just 2 lithium atoms in a molecule. Seeing where it is in the periodic table, between "mr explosive gas" and "mr I look like metal but will burst into flames when touching air", it won't do you much good unless you want to set things on fire. (Yes, I'm a science nerd)

On the big news, we are obviously finally launching our lawnmower.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Swissengineer said:

3) Stable print whatever climatic situation (wind coming from window or from ventilation) also UVs

7) Futureproof: I think the goal is to put a 3D printer in every office (maybe every home one day), So a fully enclosed printer is the way to go....

Sounds like good reasons (not sure if #6 will have a noticeable impact, but still). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Daid said:

@Daid , we talked about this! We wouldn't tell we were going into the subtractive business! 

• Like 2

ok so based on my calculation the print bed is 360 x 325mm  (+-20mm) (if same ratio as UM3 is applied) or 360x360mm if square

woop woop, looks like a larger UM3, which in itself already brings enough problems. You can't simply scale things up and expect it to work.

Following this one for sure. I mean, it is obvious that we are being trolled and it is actually a laser dual laser cutter, didn't you see the glass fiber tubes going into the laser head?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Daid said:

You can get all the warp speed you want at http://emptyepsilon.org (shameless plug)

Also note that dilithium is an actual thing, but it's just 2 lithium atoms in a molecule. Seeing where it is in the periodic table, between "mr explosive gas" and "mr I look like metal but will burst into flames when touching air", it won't do you much good unless you want to set things on fire. (Yes, I'm a science nerd)

While we are at it :)

I hope this Ultimaker has an ACME  Inverse Time dilation option, where the print will be finished, before you push the button.

Edited by xeno

3 minutes ago, xeno said:

I hope this Ultimaker has an ACME  Inverse Time dilation option, where the print will be finished, before you push the button.

But then.. why would you push the button if the print is already finished? And if you are not gonna press the button.. will the print ever start even? *| :O

3 hours ago, Swissengineer said:

not sure I agree

1)that would ease the symptoms, not solve the problem. it would be a lot more efficient if they made the printer itself quieter, not just isolated it. don't need a top for that.

2)front-doors should be enough. down side of a top would be that you are now blowing hot air on the parts. you need to compensate for that, makes it evne more complex.

3)agreed but front door should be enough

4)should not make that much of a difference. most of the dust i find in my printers is from the actual extruded material and belts

5) could be

6)looking at the flexibility needed to allow for the shaft, i don't think it would matter much

7)notsure if i get that. what would be the advantage?

just trying to play devils advocate here ;)

• Like 1

This is fun and timely!  I was just this week starting the hardware plan for 12 months out.  Maybe a new player in that mix.

I can see the reluctance to go with dilithium.  But really, if being unstable was a serious ban to getting involved in 3D printing and disruptive solutions, this forum would be a very quiet place ;-)

Agree with the scalability concerns.  It is just my reading, or are there more reports of issues here wrt the UM3 Extended over the UM3 standard?  If that's so, and this newest member is larger, some of the engineering development behind the new device might hold promise for the older machines.

I'll look forward to seeing how print cores are implemented in the new unit as well.

Congratulations to the team on a new milestone.  Best wishes for a successful rollout!

John

• Like 2

On 4/17/2018 at 3:25 PM, Fulv said:

When is this new one becoming available?

April 24th you'll be able to see it from a facebook live feed straight from Rapid Event in Texas. The day before the Hannover Messe starts in .. Hannover :)

• Like 1

Hmmm.  You know, a product like this will need testers.  lots of testers.  Long term stuff.  You really want to get it right.  Yup.  Safety first and all of that.

Now, where are you going to find testers :-)

John

From what i see it will use the entire build plate no matter what combination of nozzle and material you choose ? (i did recommended that)

I want to believe in the bigger size printer, but I feel like they’re playing with the perspective. The new guy is at the front of the table and the 2+ and 3 are shifted back. I personally doubt that they’re making a printer that has a crazy long Y-axis. But if it is a 300 or 400mm^3 then... man. That’d be awesome.

Darn wish the filament was finally placed in a location much easier to access other then the rear ( I know other options exist but would have been nice from factory). Larger size has me intrigued, maybe even a heated build plate? I currently have the Lulzbot  TAZ 5 with the updated tool head and the series 1 type A machines ( no longer in business as of q4 of last year :( ). The only thing that has stopped me from getting an ultimaker ( in which i really would love to have with its incredible features) has to do with its build volume since some of the parts I have built have had pretty large build volumes that the ultimaker currently isn't capable  of handling. 

I will stay tuned 

14 hours ago, memory556 said:

I want to believe in the bigger size printer, but I feel like they’re playing with the perspective. The new guy is at the front of the table and the 2+ and 3 are shifted back. I personally doubt that they’re making a printer that has a crazy long Y-axis. But if it is a 300 or 400mm^3 then... man. That’d be awesome.

300mm^3 is ~7x7x7mm. But yes, a clever play on perspective, it's actually an UM3go! But if you mean 300x300x300mm => 27000000mm^3, that would mean 3x the volume of the UM3, that would be crazy! Right?

6 minutes ago, Daid said:

300mm^3 is ~7x7x7mm. But yes, a clever play on perspective, it's actually an UM3go! But if you mean 300x300x300mm => 27000000mm^3, that would mean 3x the volume of the UM3, that would be crazy! Right?

I'm dreaming of 400x400x400 THAT would be crazy..... But I'm pretty sure of my measurements of 360 x 325mm  (+-20mm) (if same ratio as UM3 is applied) or 360x360mm if square, about the height I suppose the same as UM3E maybe a bit higher.... let's hope....

3 hours ago, Daid said:

And as it is a GO model it has to be light. I assume the frame is made from Balsa wood?

Edited by Dim3nsioneer