Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
SandervG

CC Print core Red 0.6mm

Recommended Posts

Today we're at the TCT show in Birmingham UK, and we have the first CC Print core Red on display. If you are in the area, please come and check them out. The CC print core Red has wear-resistant ruby cone insert that protects the nozzle from highly abrasive composites like XSTRAND and DSM Novamid ID1030 CF10. 

 

The CC Print core red fits in both the Ultimaker 3 and Ultimaker S5, however if you want to use it to print abrasive materials the Ultimaker 3's feeder is not wear resistant enough to withstand these materials, and the knurled sleeve will wear off. The Ultimaker S5 feeder (knurled sleeve specifically) is enforced and coated, and therefore it is recommended to only use the CC Print core Red with the Ultimaker S5. 

 

It will be available to purchase in just a few weeks, but since it's on display now I wanted to share this news with you already. If you have any questions about it, feel free to post them below 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For Ultimaker 3 users it might be interesting to know you can actually use the new core on an UM3. But as Sander pointed out wear on the standard feeder there might be a problem. This could be overcome for the time being with a third party product such as the Bondtech DDG feeder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, ahoeben said:

Can UM3 users order and use the S5 knurled sleeve once their stock knurled sleeve has worn out?

 

Correct me if I’m wrong but afaik UM since the um3 doesn’t sell small parta in general, but if you ask your UM friends for the correct part number you might be lucky.

 

Ofc you could buy a new feeder for an affordable 95€ (motor-less?)

 

http://ultimaker.utopica3d.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=625

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty awesome!

 

Ive run a spool of Matterhackers NylonX through my UM3 (using the 3D solex SS nozzle) and it is some strong stuff!  I also just ordered some of their new NylonG.  Does Ultimaker have any plans to offer a hardened knurled extruder for the UM3?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding upgrading your um3 to Bondtech feeders to get a abrasive resistant setup be aware afaik in the um3 firmware there's only one entry for the steps/mm so you need to upgrade both feeders.  I would really like to be able to upgrade only my main feeder....

 

And regarding replacing  the knurled bold in the um feeder... Early feeders on the um2+ had this as a separate replaceable part but current models have it fixed to the gears and it's no longer replaceable..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2018 at 5:21 PM, Jakeddesign said:

Does Ultimaker have any plans to offer a hardened knurled extruder for the UM3?

 

Not specifically as of right now. It depends on what material you use how fast your knurled wheel will wear off, so depending on your own findings you have to decide whether or not it's worth running that abrasive material through your Ultimaker 3. You have already been using these abrasive materials, do you detect any differences on your feeder?

What we do know, at some point it will wear down and cause under extrusion. Since the feeders are press-fit, you can not simply replace the worn down knurled part, but you'll need to replace the entire feeder housing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2018 at 2:18 AM, Shadowman said:

What layer heights has this Print Core been calibrated in Cura for?

 

More profiles may be added in the future, but the print core CC Red will have the profiles for 0.15mm and 0.2mm ready. It may depend slightly on which material you plan on using, I believe XSTRAND only has 0.2mm from the start for example. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SandervG said:

 

Not specifically as of right now. It depends on what material you use how fast your knurled wheel will wear off, so depending on your own findings you have to decide whether or not it's worth running that abrasive material through your Ultimaker 3. You have already been using these abrasive materials, do you detect any differences on your feeder?

What we do know, at some point it will wear down and cause under extrusion. Since the feeders are press-fit, you can not simply replace the worn down knurled part, but you'll need to replace the entire feeder housing. 

 

You can always try other shops...

 

 

Anyway I doubt you couldn’t buy just this parts to an official reseller...?

7894B255-6FD2-456D-88FD-A28668B32C03.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is not possible (or let's play it safe; very very difficult) to remove the worn down parts in an Ultimaker 3 feeder without breaking anything else, and install a new set correctly. I'm sure one could find any component online, official or not official. But do make sure, if you want to go that route that you can actually install it and you don't end up with some parts you can not use. I think this is a fair 'warning'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, SandervG said:

It is not possible (or let's play it safe; very very difficult) to remove the worn down parts in an Ultimaker 3 feeder without breaking anything else, and install a new set correctly. I'm sure one could find any component online, official or not official. But do make sure, if you want to go that route that you can actually install it and you don't end up with some parts you can not use. I think this is a fair 'warning'.

 

Indeed and I would agree on that except:

 

a) You propose a full replacement solution (ergo doesn’t matter if you break the old one)

b) Isn’t that difficult (specially because um3 feeder doesn’t have filament sensor) & there’s a nice step by step guide here https://support.3dverkstan.se/article/64-disassembly-of-the-ultimaker-2-plus-feeder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @SandervG,

 

apart from the feeder-topic, is there already an answer for @Dim3nsioneer s "question"?

On 9/25/2018 at 1:25 PM, Dim3nsioneer said:

For Ultimaker 3 users it might be interesting to know you can actually use the new core on an UM3.

 

Will the UM3 detect the Red Core 0.6 correctly? Otherwise I could go with a 3D Solex UM3-hardcore 0.6. (And Bondtech, of course. But we're preferring the Originals 😀)

 

Cheers,

dxp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, dxp said:

Will the UM3 detect the Red Core 0.6 correctly?

ah sorry, missed that one. An Ultimaker 3 should recognize the print core CC, however the machine will also prompt you a message that says it is not compatible. But you can overrule it. 

 

Cura may also give you a warning which you probably have to bypass. 

 

A question for you guys; what do you want to use the print core for? Is there a specific material with certain properties you want to print with? What type of things / application do you need it for?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SandervG said:

An Ultimaker 3 should recognize the print core CC, however the machine will also prompt you a message that says it is not compatible. But you can overrule it. 

Thanks, Sander!

 

1 hour ago, SandervG said:

what do you want to use the print core for

Engineering parts. The moment my boss reached the first part, he wanted to put pressurized air on it 😯. And he did.

A Lot of stuff we print is to find the proper shape for the later aluminium-machined part. Sometimes the printed part is the final part 🙄🤩 !

There was still no testing, but I have a strong belief, Nylon with Carbon-fibers will fulfill almost all our needs - it will miss just the 200°C-stability. And there will be much lesser warping. I had an eye on XSTRAND, 3DXTech and XT-CF20 a few months ago, so the announcement of the Red Core made me happy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SandervG said:

A question for you guys; what do you want to use the print core for? Is there a specific material with certain properties you want to print with? What type of things / application do you need it for?

 

Mainly carbon or glass fiber filled Nylons, also for engineering parts. Besides the improved strength and stiffness, also the reduced warping tendency as well as the improved surface finish is quite interesting - hopefully the print quality will at least come close to the Markforged printers, which also print a CF-reinforced Nylon.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same here, carbon and/or glass filled nylons.  I dont use it a lot, but we had one particular bracket that really needed to be made from aluminum, but our shop was too busy to make it - and our outsourced partners were 2 week leadtime or so.  So I printed in NylonX from matterhackers, which survived until we were able to replace with aluminum. (prior to this I had printed the bracket in PLA, then ABS, both broke within a day of use.  the nylon part never broke - but we replaced it anyways to be safe.  No point in having an unexpected downtime!)

 

Next use will be brackets for our fancy new ShockDyno machine.  None of the devices we intend to test on this machine have "standard" cylinder mounting eylets (if they have eylets at all!) and being that our machine shop is crazy busy, I intend to print with NylonX/NylonG (Matterhackers) to make the necessary brackets.

 

Recap here would be that Nylon by itself is not rigid enough, PLA or even PC is not strong enough.

 

--- edit

The knurled feeder looks to be some sort of stainless steel, so I suspect that it will hold up to the volume of abrasive materials that I intend to run though it.  When it wears out noticeably, I will take a look at the part and maybe I can machine something new, out of a harder material.

 

-- edit

Down the rabbit hole: For those interested, the knurled feeder/screw/wheel is detail 1960, and is made of some 303 stainless steel, weighing in at 230 Brinell (20RC).  From the drawings (https://github.com/Ultimaker/Ultimaker3/blob/master/BOM/BOM Ultimaker 3.pdf) it looks like this wheel is in fact pressed (maybe even heat set) into the main gear.  Maybe it can be removed very carefully, or maybe buy a new gear, which should be feasible.  Not sure of your equipment @P3D and @dxp but with a lathe and CNC mill, I think this should be no problem. 🙂 

Edited by Jakeddesign

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community of 3D printing experts. Visit the following links to read more about our Terms of Use or our Privacy Policy. Thank you!