Ultimaker Cura | a new interface

SandervG

Posted · Ultimaker Cura | a new interface

We're not only trying to always make Ultimaker Cura better with the usual new features and improvements we build, but we're also trying to make it more pleasant to operate. The interface was the focus for the upcoming release, from which we would already like to present you the first glance. 

Because we're still working towards the stable version we would really like to receive your feedback! Do realize it's an early beta version and we can't guarantee the same print reliability as our stable versions.

preview-mode.thumb.jpg.3cd4f12743f844cb30dadb1de3efdeca.jpg

So, what is new exactly with Ultimaker Cura's new interface?

- Based on user research we've build a smoother, more logical workflow

- New user account control panel for plugins that need a login (like Cura backups)

- Quick and easy access to the Marketplace

The workflow

In the new UI you can find three steps in the header: Prepare, Preview and Monitor. 

Prepare is where you configure your settings or profile, Preview shows you the layer preview and time specifications and in Monitor you can send and monitor your print via Cura Connect. 

The header contains of collapsible panels that don't take up any space or distractions when you are not using them. 

User accounts and Marketplace

The Marketplace has received a more prominent location in the interface, because we believe this will be of great value in the future. We've also integrated a new module for user account control, which some plugins require as the Cura Backup plugin you may already use. And more will follow in 2019 🙂

Curious to give it a try? Download it here.

And when you have, please let us know what you think below 🙂

Just did a quick download.

At a quick glance, this looks nice. AND, of course, I tested one thing that drove me crazy in the last release: When merged models were reloaded by way of 'Reload all models', it would jump. It does not do so now!

I look forward to the other doodads to see how it works. :)

• Like 1

I just took a look. I think it is a matter of screen size. For instance I am on a wide screen set at standard HD and, not on a laptop. It does jump a bit, but not to the middle of the screen.

I am wondering why the move of the slider to the right of the settings dialogue.

I do like the fluid movement of the dialogue boxes though. Maybe if the slider went back to the left it would be less intrusive. And, if the settings were closed, the slider could jump all the way to the right.

But for the most part, when I am viewing the layers, I have closed the settings to maximize the viewing area anyway.

41 minutes ago, joestefano said:

When I switch from Layer view to X-Ray view the Printer settings window moves to the center of the screen blocking the part.

Could you add a screenshot?

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Cura | a new interface

I installed  4.0.0 without uninstalling older versions ( 3.2.0 up too  3.6.0  ) 

I hade enabled multiply build plates in 3.6.0.

The placement is a bit off in 4.0.0

image.png.654d9838098576ce1b766a5f3990b1a1.png

Edited by varazir

Another feedback is to have the list of Print settings (windows/drop down) flexible so you can enlarge it. 

A expend all settings button as well. 

image.thumb.png.7bffb90c2a2457b7aebad168a2dbff3c.png

Edited by varazir
    • Like 6

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so here is my picture. It works even worse if you scale the window as small as it can go.

What is up with the current trend of putting huge amounts of useless whitespace everywhere and shrinking all the user interface to as tiny as they can go? Cura has hundreds of settings to tweak, but now I can only see 12 of them at a time for no reason whatsoever?

• Like 1

This would be a standard 4:3 aspect ratio. This would pretty much take up the same room with just a small shift to the right in older versions. In this version, you can close the settings interface and see the whole space.

3 minutes ago, varazir said:

I think he means like this 

image.thumb.png.0b1a647927adb3d3838d5617a0a125ef.png

6 minutes ago, varazir said:

Another feedback is to have the list of Print settings flexible when you like to see all settings ( I normally do that )  

I have all my settings set to visible as well. It would be nice to pull the interface sown a bit to see more of it when in a section. Is this what you refer to?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

This would be a standard 4:3 aspect ratio. This would pretty much take up the same room with just a small shift to the right in older versions. In this version, you can close the settings interface and see the whole space.

I have all my settings set to visible as well. It would be nice to pull the interface sown a bit to see more of it when in a section. Is this what you refer to?

I saw that  I could minimize the settings  that is nice but it should made easier to see that you can do that.  

I have 1920 x 1200 resolution 

Yes, to make the settings window/drop down larger would be nice so you don't need to scroll all the time

Edited by varazir

33 minutes ago, varazir said:

I saw that  I could minimize the settings  that is nice but it should made easier to see that you can do that. 

"Yeah, I agree, but honestly, I do not have anything that comes close to a suggestion on how to do that.

24 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

"Yeah, I agree, but honestly, I do not have anything that comes close to a suggestion on how to do that.

could it minimize by it self on x-ray and you have a pulsing glow where you can click to get the dropdown back again ? 

Edited by varazir

Another layout but. 

I didn't see that I had plugin settings still enabled as before and when I checked the process plugin screens I see this. 

image.thumb.png.146c0276d7b7ba237881364ac83be0b5.png

1 hour ago, varazir said:

I think he means like this 

image.thumb.png.0b1a647927adb3d3838d5617a0a125ef.png

Yes, that is exactly what I see. I have a 27" monitor set at 3840x2160

25 minutes ago, varazir said:

could it minimize by it self on x-ray and you have a pulsing glow where you can click to get the dropdown back again ? 

No pulsing. Ughhhhh....pulsing things really bug my eyes out. Same thing with the lights on the machines. It really is an issue with me. I can see the flicker on TV screens and such.....

• Like 1

Prints well! Generic PLA

4.0 print.JPG

2 hours ago, kmanstudios said:

No pulsing. Ughhhhh....pulsing things really bug my eyes out. Same thing with the lights on the machines. It really is an issue with me. I can see the flicker on TV screens and such.....

The bar changes color when you do a mouse over. I mean when the drop down with settings get minimized the bar flashes with the mouse over color 2 times 

image.thumb.png.e611b8c3e408ada9ad2b95a814281351.png

It shows mm/s at first but when I touch the model it goes crazy.

Same here with part of the menu off.

Capture.PNG

15 hours ago, joestefano said:

Yes, that is exactly what I see. I have a 27" monitor set at 3840x2160

We tried aligning it to the right. It looks horrible 😞

As for adding extra space; I personally don't show all settings. I know most of them, so i just search for it. I think most other devs also do this, which is probably why it didn't really come up earlier. But feedback like that is why we're doing 2 beta's this time around. So we're checking out some options now. Stay tuned! 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, nallath said:

As for adding extra space; I personally don't show all settings. I know most of them, so i just search for it. I think most other devs also do this, which is probably why it didn't really come up earlier.

As I can't remember what the settings are called, I normally do show all settings and just accept that I have to scroll up and down a lot.

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, smartavionics said:

As I can't remember what the settings are called, I normally do show all settings and just accept that I have to scroll up and down a lot.

I think that is what most of the people do. 

This is my suggestion for the new interface.

Screenshot_2.jpg

Edited by amagro
    • Like 2

I cannot select the layer view range any more.

That means I cannot scroll through the layers using my arrow keys anymore, while viewing a range of layers.

The functionality used to work in 3.4.1image.png.30212b79c98f857b45390b38a3733a51.png

Got partially broken in 3.5, and now the functionality is gone:image.png.a686ca001f8f003452759ddbb5de8f34.png

Dragging the layer range still works, though, but it doesn't give the same level of fine control.

Edited by bagel-orb

32 minutes ago, bagel-orb said:

I cannot select the layer view range any more.

It's still possible to drag the middle of the "dumbell" with the mouse but it doesn't retain the focus as far as keys are concerned.

Edit: just read that you have already said that, duh!

Edited by burtoogle