Ultimaker 3 Firmware update: 5.2.17

SandervG

Posted · Ultimaker 3 Firmware update: 5.2.17

We’re happy to announce that we’re releasing a firmware update to the popular Ultimaker 3 and Ultimaker 3 Extended. Firmware 5.2.17 will contain:

• material profiles for the new Ultimaker PETG
  • improved Digital Factory integration
  • bug fixes, among others improved networking packages

Ultimaker PETG

• With firmware 5.2.17 your Ultimaker 3 will support the new Ultimaker PETG material. Your Ultimaker 3 will recognize Ultimaker PETG via NFC and you will be able to select PETG from your material selection screen. 

Digital Factory

• The connection to Digital Factory has received the pin code connection, bringing it on par with the S-line 3D printers. Admins in the Digital Factory can secure settings and prevent unwanted changes to devices by unauthorized users. 

• Secondly, the camera stream is now also available in the Digital Factory. The stream is a series of images that will be updated every 10 seconds by the camera in your Ultimaker 3. 

• Lastly the print queue for the Ultimaker 3 can now be modified in the Digital Factory. 

Bug fixes & improvements

• Improved networking packages - We fixed some networking bugs that causing print stuttering.

• Screen bug – We fixed an issue that could, in certain cases, cause the screen to appear garbled or shifted.

• Active leveling improvements – We fixed some active leveling issues caused by reusing old probing data, which could lead to printing too close or too far from the build plate.

• UI Interface – Updated all copy to correctly reflect the Ultimaker platform and the Digital Factory

• Italian translations – We fixed some strings that were incorrectly translated in Italian. Special thanks to Alessandro from Crea3D for reporting! 

Official release notes  you can find here

Instructions on how to download the new firmware for the Ultimaker 3 you can find here

Thanks, have a great day! 

• Like 3

Yes, this release is for both the standard UM3 and the UM3 Extended (the firmware for both is identical and switches settings based on an internally stored machine identifier).

And there are a whole lot of other changes that didn't make it into the official release notes because those are not applicable to most users.

A small list:

- copied firmware installation routine from the S-line. Reducing the firmware file size from 125Mb to 75Mb

- fixed webcam API. Tweakers can access the webcam again.

- Improved logging by removing a lot of useless messages and processes now log their names instead of a number. Dumping the log files also saves the dmesg file for extra info.

- Updated Connman from v1.32 to v1.36. Solves a lot of networking issues

- fix the webcam stream freezing occasionally 

- several other small changes

• Like 2
    • Thanks 1

Hi, I just update firmware 5.2.17.20210723.But something wrong happened.

My Ultimaker cura 4.10.0  can't connect the printer Ultimaker 3 via internet cable.

Even cura can detect printer's IP,and it just disconnect after connect for a short time.

How to solve this problem? It drived me crazy.....

Thanks

Can you use the UM3 with Digital Factory? It provides the same functionality as a direct connection but then with access from outside your building as well.

10 hours ago, Starflashbully said:

Hi 🙂

is it also for the UM3E?

Thanks a lot! 🙂

Good point/question. I've added it to the post. Thanks! 

1 hour ago, CarloK said:

Can you use the UM3 with Digital Factory? It provides the same functionality as a direct connection but then with access from outside your building as well.

Thanks for replying.
    I re-updated the firmware 5.2.17.20210723 by connecting Wifi and this time Cura could connect printer by internet cable. I were still not sure what happened to it...
    But it still had the same problem that the language still can't show Chinese on LED monitor.

Hope later will fix this bug.

@lavi Great to hear you got it working.

The Chinese language problem is new. We'll look into this.

Is it possible to use Digital Factory without signing in, or up for, an Ultimaker account?

No it is a cloud service like Gmail which can also not be used without an account.

Smithy,

Thank you for a clear answer.  That is unfortunate.  Can we use our printers without using Digital Factory (Print over network)?

If we can't remotely print to our printer without an ultimaker account, it will likely run afoul of many policies which may lead to no more Ultimaker in our organizations future.  As I said, unfortunate.

@Morandir it is also possible to directly print over the local network from Cura, for this no account is needed.

The Digital Factory solution provides similar functionality but then over the Internet, so great for when you work on multiple locations.

1 hour ago, Morandir said:

If we can't remotely print to our printer without an ultimaker account

As CarloK already mentioned, direct printing via network is always working (except UM2+Connect) but only in your local network. If you need remote printing capabilities then you need a VPN solution to connect Cura with your local network. 

If you use the Digital Factory, then it is working out of the box, all over the world. But it is up to you if you want to use it or not, both is possible.

Unfortunately I'm having trouble updating. It downloads the firmware, checks the packet, installs it, asks me to restarts the printer... And it's stuck on the splash screen... 🙄

@CarloK Awesome that you're here answering questions on your time off man!

• Like 1

@mrcgomes If a firmware update is done via network, it should not ask you to reboot. This happens automatically. 

Looks like your printer is bricked now, we would recommend to send us a support ticket via this link so we can provide you with the instructions on how to fix it. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/5/2021 at 10:15 PM, Morandir said:

Smithy,

Thank you for a clear answer.  That is unfortunate.  Can we use our printers without using Digital Factory (Print over network)?

If we can't remotely print to our printer without an ultimaker account, it will likely run afoul of many policies which may lead to no more Ultimaker in our organizations future.  As I said, unfortunate.

Hi,

Ultimaker is moving towards a cloud-first platform strategy (which brings many benefits for both users and Ultimaker, for example a greatly reduced cycle of delivering new features), but it will never become cloud-only as we're very aware of the IT policies of some companies in this industry. Printers will always be usable via either local network and/or completely offline (USB stick), but sometimes with reduced functionality. In similar fashion, we still store the print queue of Digital Factory on the printer itself. This means that in the unlikely event of a service disruption of our cloud, you can still continue to print everything that's in the queue, resulting in higher uptime of the total system.

However we'd still be interested to know why it would not be possible in your company to use cloud services. Is it just hard policy? Are you not satisfied with the security documentation we offer? Feel free to contact me via direct message as well if you prefer that.

Chris

@mrcgomes - Often I have seen people on this forum where the upgrade gets stuck (nothing after 30 minutes) but if they power off and on again it often recovers the second or third time you power on.  I have no idea why.

@ctbeke, @CarloK, and @Smithy

Thank you both very much for the clarifications.  My initial reading was that Digital Factory was replacing the other services, so I relieved to hear that the rebrand of Ultimaker Connect doesn't force cloud only printing. 

I also appreciate the concern as to why it would be an issue.  I am not in IT though I am familiar with their policies and work closely with them, so I'll try my best to summarize.

1. We would not want our corp IP data to be sent outside our organization. (The cloud is just someone else's computer.)

2. Potential attack vector to have network connections routing outside, then back into our systems.

3. I would expect they'd make a hard policy if asked the question. They have repeatedly defaulted to a hard NO on any network related questions or suggestions.

I already feel like I'm on thin ice as it is with the local network printing on our current Ultimakers.  Keep a low profile, and it isn't a problem. Start having issues or ask too many questions and the simplest solution would be for them to revoke all network access to the printers.  (I'm sure they'd also give a litany of reasons that I'd like to avoid finding out.)

Thank you again.

I have UM3E that is connected to network by LAN cable.

It detects new firmware 5.2.17 (currently 5.2.16) when powered up. 

Once instructed to update, it downloads, checks then reboot and splash screen is garbled with vertical lines then freeze.

After power recycle, it repeats the same, i.e. detects new firmware.

Tried twice and the same happened.

@merongi We are looking into this problem. The vertical lines show up at a moment we show an informative message for the update being in progress. Can you tell me what happens when you wait 5 minutes with these lines showing?

I have the same issue of vertical lines. No change after 10 minutes. UM3 latest firmware. 

PXL_20210818_124924858.jpg

@TheoM Thanks for the extra info that the lines remain for more than 10 minutes. This is an indication the update process has stopped.
    I can't reproduce the error here, so I depend on info from users like you to narrow down the problem cause.
    So far, we got 3 other users reporting this problem. All on a UM3 Extended. Is your machine a normal UM3 or the Extended version?