A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?

ian

• 2 weeks later...
Posted · A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?

Well the fabric has taken a different path what i had planned failed due to other colours and the fabric being too thick.

but in the meantime the S5 and dry ice, lol. why not, i just had some left over from a film shoot.

IMG_8200.JPG

• Like 4

Guess how my day was....

IMG_20190117_31875.thumb.jpg.af5af02f8167ba801a3e8e616d449023.jpg

Have gutted my print head.

Constant blocked print cores was driving me nuts. Could print only a few minutes then extrusion stopped. Couldn't move material manually either. 

Cold and hot pull and it was fine, for a minute or two.

Found that end of filament swelled causing the stops.

IMG_20190117_23426.thumb.jpg.183004d9e10ff1f27f30ba738d143d1a.jpg

The front fan has stopped working.

Its not seized but won't run, not even with an external 5V power source.

Waiting for a replacement fan now, none in stock of course.

IMG_20190117_33758.thumb.jpg.5137d65dba0d65a381a788a288148449.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Smithy said:

Very nice when it is so small. What about the noise?

I don't know yet; I plan to order it on next month's purchase list.  Good point though, something to consider.

Les

29 minutes ago, LesHall said:

Good point though, something to consider.

Small fans are often very noisy, so test it before you buy more.

Wicked cool!  I recall seeing a short article on this, how difficult was it to print?

There is SO much goin on you just can't keep up with it all! 

Les

On an (almost) unrelated topic, Here is a photo of four Chainmaille crosses that I designed and created in 12 gauge wire rings.  

Les

Four Crosses.JPG

• Like 3

Looks great and looks like a lot of work.

Are they flexible a little bit or completely rigid?

Posted (edited) · A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?
    5 hours ago, Ghene said:

IMG_8102.thumb.JPG.18f8bbcdb181ad4968a8048ce9a4db93.JPG

yay! It was a pain to hold the fabric. my clips are either too big or too small. 😞

Have you tried using water based glue stick to attach the fabric to the print bed? If you have a removable bed, you could soak it loose without causing any damage to the print or the fabric mesh.

I have used this method to attach plastic bags to cardstock for use in my Silhouette digital craft cutter, and for adhering prints to my glass bed on my 3-D printer. 

I love the color and the shiny smooth finish you have attained. Will we get to see the finished product when it is all done? Is it going to be a dress?

Edited by MrMaint

11 hours ago, Smithy said:

Looks great and looks like a lot of work.

Are they flexible a little bit or completely rigid?

They are somewhat flexible, not much.  The center, however flexes tremendously as the central ring arrangement acts like a four way hinge.  It's actually a little bit freaky the first time you see it.  The four branches rotate back suddenly (or slowly if you want) and emerging is this Alien Predator maw shaped thing. Kinda weird on a cross!

Les

18 hours ago, Ghene said:

It was a pain to hold the fabric. my clips are either too big or too small. 😞

BTW, What glue are you using? Im having trouble finding a glue I can wash off easily after. Will need to look into water soluble glues....

I've gone waaaaaaaaay to detailed and bits are falling off here and there. each colour needs tweaking to print fine and its well annoying, not to mention the sheer amount of objects to slice in cura and two layer colour separation.😢 loads of fails but I can see potential. I've done loads of these now and have a few methods of doing them, im using regular non pourous fabrics now, and printing one side only. but the problem is no reflective top layer!!

...was going to do fish scales as well! haha great minds think alike!

Edited by cloakfiend

Google for 'shoreydesigns' , I guess your info comes from this guy, super busy with printing on fabric.

32 minutes ago, peggyb said:

Google for 'shoreydesigns' , I guess your info comes from this guy, super busy with printing on fabric.

lol, yes indeed I initailly saw a still of his work using tulle and then did my own stuff from there on, I hadnt seen his videos, but damn he needs to learn how to hold a camera better!. Im doing different stuff, where unfortunately there is much more room for failure as one single mistake on the inital layer ruins everything! well annoying! especially when using multiple colours!! double room for failure!! 

....and @MrMaint you dont stick the fabric to theplate as then you dont get the shiny surface which is thewhole point. I meant you can, but it gives no benefits whatsoever. Ideally you want it sandwiched between the print material. 

Edited by cloakfiend

3 hours ago, cloakfiend said:

BTW, What glue are you using? Im having trouble finding a glue I can wash off easily after. Will need to look into water soluble glues....

I've gone waaaaaaaaay to detailed and bits are falling off here and there. each colour needs tweaking to print fine and its well annoying, not to mention the sheer amount of objects to slice in cura and two layer colour separation.😢 loads of fails but I can see potential. I've done loads of these now and have a few methods of doing them, im using regular non pourous fabrics now, and printing one side only. but the problem is no reflective top layer!!

...was going to do fish scales as well! haha great minds think alike!

I didn't use glue. I just gaffer taped my fabric. I am testing out thicker fabrics since that's what I use a lot for my crafts. As for shiny top layers, I print them front side down.

cloakfiend, I just use washable Elmer's School Glue Stick. I rub it on to the surface of the glass then put a quarter sized drop of water in the center and rub it around using my hand. When I get it all dissolved into a micro thin, consistent layer, I wipe off the excess and let it dry for a minute or two while I heat up the bed and hot end. If I am using the whole bed, it will take several water drops over the surface to get it all consistent. Too much water and it doesn't stick. Too thick a layer and it doesn't stick well. It only takes a couple of tries to figure out how thick is thick enough. To keep items with high warp, I add a drop of Super glue at the corners after the first or second layer has finished printing. I then dab the excess glue away with a rag so it leaves a very strong, but micro thin attachment. When it cools off, the super glue usually releases, and a little water will soak loose the glue stick. 

If you want a better hold, I found the cheapest glue sticks from Office Depot work well, but do leave a little residue.

Yes ive tried thicker fabrics and they simply dont fold easily enough so are no good for my purposes. And i also simply tape my material to the plate, but was wandering what glue you used for the bed for the filament to stick to. After all we all want super adhesion with a shiny bottom layer. I got lots of amusing fabric prints now, ill post them later in my thread when i get home..!

@MrMaint thats good advice about the superglue. I admit ive done that afew times but its not alway possible with most of my designs, especially when there are hundreds or corners...😣

Edit....I think I've solved the filament not sticking to the bed issue and my stuff is all going well now, but I have other issues..... print core failure. and flow failure.....

Edited by cloakfiend

My  main problem now is either a firmware upgrade for the S5 or I don't know. I solved my filament not sticking to the salt plate issue now but I though before that the sub objetcs i had created in 3ds max were causing a problem in cura, but after I remade the design from scratch and checking everything and double and triple checking, I now found that the S5 is responsible. For some bizzare reason the flow sensor in head 2 is simply not working, the material has ground at the feeder and has burnt out the nozzle. So here i am on my night shift with nothing to look forward to showing you lovely people in the morning. I am a bit upset to tell the truth! I hope I can clean that nozzle, any advice to clean these cores would be appreciated.

Another thing I noticed which definitely needs to be changed (not sure if it has already though as I am running slightly older firmware) but to be able to have full control of the cores and be able to heat them up/down and move material during pause mode as if you have a problem like me, them you simply wont be able to fix it. Makes pause mode far less useful than it should be.

Hopefully I'll be able to fix all this and show you some wicked stuff..... but knowing me I'm going to try to upgrade the firmware and end up bricking the machine completely!!!.....UM2 and single colour was so easy...... 

....maybe I have a fan issue as well....depressing.. oh well back to my night shift!!

Edited by cloakfiend

cloakfiend: Don't the Ultimaker's have snap-in quick change heads? It seems it would be advisable to have a spare handy for just such situations. I know... the only argument against is $$$. 

I have found that I get really nice prints using MakerGeeks Raptor High Heat PLA. It holds up great in the sun, dishwasher, microwave (250 Degree F.), and it is food safe! It prints better than PLA and is really strong. I subscribe to their $30 monthly geekbox subscription. You get 2 rolls 2.2# each (1KG ea.) of some random selection of filament in your chosen size (1.75mm or 2.85mm), a tool of some kind, a link to a downloadable monthly project, some stickers for the kids, and a discount coupon for the next month of usually 15 to 40% off the purchase of anything (except the next GeekBox). Usually you will get about $50-100 worth of stuff. One month, we even got a $100 gift card to buy whatever we wanted. It is great filament and the price is fantastic. They have a micro-fiber line that even includes carbon fiber. It prints like a dream!

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the info, but i dont happen to have a spare head at the mo. I have a diff size but need to learn to clean them. I am doing a lot of experimenting and with fabrics i feel i may have clogged it by printing 'into the fabric' i had loads of out of filament errors then which is odd, because now its not giving any errors at all as if the sensor is dead or something? Weird. Ill keep trying untill i get this one print done. Dont care how many times i fail. No pain no gain. Im fairly new to dual colour so need to get over this hurdle....then ill be good! I just ordered a cleaning kit and filament for shizzles and giggles, so ill see how that goes as well and will review whatever i buy as well. Never tried cleaning filament before. One of my .4AAs was badly blocked many months ago using experimental filament so im kinda cautious whether i cleaned it properly back in the day hence the problems in it. Im not used to cleaning nozzles anymore as once you get temps down you generally dont need to. Its just when things go pear shaped you need to be aware of how to fix it. No biggie but new learning on a new printer. I knew id have to do this eventually!

So far so good, in updated the firmware and all appears good so far after cleaning the nozzle fot about 40mins with an airbrush needle and accu needles and then a few hot cold pulls.

I noticed that if i pumped the pla in the core like mini hot pulls, then the filament came out expanded? like injecting air into it, It would be like 3 times thicker. then settle down a few seconds later.

20190122_194024.jpg

Edited by cloakfiend