A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?

ian

Posted · A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?

Sweet.

Did you just recently get the UM2+?

Around October is when I bought a refurb Ultimaker 2 from Erin and Simon over to Fabrc8. I had purchased the UM2+ upgrade kit over the summer and I upgraded it. It's been quite an adjustment from the UMO (in a good way!) If a print is wonky, my mind doesn't think "what did I screw up in the assembly" :)

• 2 weeks later...

Morning guys.

Little question ?

The last 3 days I was getting professional training in special design software for medical products. At the end of the third day, I told the teacher guy that I was a big fan of ultimaker and I had years of great fun and experiences with them.

He told me something weird... he said enjoy ultimaker now because... now ultimaker has been sold to 3dsystems they will gradually close up all the open source community driven things... eeekkk :(

Is it true that ultimaker was sold to 3dsystems ?

Ian

"Makerbot was acquired by Stratasys in June 2013".... that is a while ago...

"In September 2014, 3D Systems acquired the Belgian company LayerWise."

"In January 2015, 3D Systems acquired the 3D printer manufacturer botObjects, the first company to commercialize a printer using the fused deposition modeling technique." source Wikipedia.

I think the guy confused ultimaker with makerbot and 3dsystems with stratasys. I have the same problem - problems with names.

Posted (edited) · A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?

womensmarchdc.thumb.JPG.09e32a8933217db9127394bb783708de.JPG

My mom, age 87, my wife, my daughter and many others are at the #womensMarchBoston right now.  My other daughter is at the one in Washington DC (you can see here in the photo above.... at the end of the street to the left).  Zoom in and look all the way to the left at the end of the street.  Okay - just kidding - you can't see her.  This photo taken about 60 minutes ago.  #WomensMarch

(photo taken from roof of voice-of-america building).

womensmarchdc.thumb.JPG.09e32a8933217db9127394bb783708de.JPG

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

So how is everyone doing today?

The weekend is almost there, any plans? I have a beer tasting coming up on Saturday, which should be pretty nice! :)

So how is everyone doing today?

The weekend is almost there, any plans? I have a beer tasting coming up on Saturday, which should be pretty nice! :)

Beer tasting sounds like a sensible idea. I think I'll just flop down on the couch myself and do as little as humanly possible. But yeah, the Friday detection unit switched to green so it must be a good day.

FDU.thumb.png.9fab7bf50042fab049139528fffc495c.png

• Like 3

haha that is amazing. The FDU does not lie. Is says S/N 2. Where is No 1? First I have some sports to do on Saturday so I have to feel less guilty tasting all those delicious goods later ;)

Number 1 was slightly primitive since it was invented in about 45 minutes on a Friday afternoon - it worked off NTP and as such required a working internet connection. So if there was a network problem or someone unplugged the ethernet cable, it'd get confused. It led to complaints. So I made the Mark II which just needs 5V. It uses a GPS receiver to determine the time and date, then using the doomsday algorithm calculates the day of the week, applies any daylight saving correction and then shows us if it's Friday or not. And it's got an RTC in case of spotty GPS coverage. Hasn't failed once in what, two years?

• Like 2

lol.... that is a super invention... love it !!

lol.... that is a super invention... love it !!

Hehehe, yeah it has a hidden secondary function too, which is making people laugh and shake their heads at me. Strangely enough, it's probably at the same time the most popular and most useless thing I ever made. Very odd.

• Like 4

There are many species of animals where (usually the male) they put in a ton of effort in mating rituals or offerings/gifts. Women appreciate getting useless things that take effort such as flowers or poetry. There's something impressive about putting a lot of effort into something that isn't needed. It's definitely not always about mating and romance as even competing males appreciate/like seeing this behavior in others.

So yeah, it's more impressive to see this Friday indicator than to see that you now drive a new speedy red Tesla.

There are many species of animals where (usually the male) they put in a ton of effort in mating rituals or offerings/gifts.  Women appreciate getting useless things that take effort such as flowers or poetry.  There's something impressive about putting a lot of effort into something that isn't needed.  It's definitely not always about mating and romance as even competing males appreciate/like seeing this behavior in others.

So yeah, it's more impressive to see this Friday indicator than to see that you now drive a new speedy red Tesla.

Hmm. I'm just going to go ahead and interpret this as a possibility of getting laid if I give it to a woman. Makes sense to me. I'm bloody romantic and stuff. :p

• Like 2

I'm sure we have all done it, but this is the first time i had to rescue a print, the very tall narrow support fell over, and thankfully a bit of bluetac sorted it right out!

ms0a4G.jpg

I'm sure we have all done it, but this is the first time i had to rescue a print, the very tall narrow support fell over, and thankfully a bit of bluetac sorted it right out!

ms0a4G.jpg

Nice save!

Posted (edited) · A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?

Today I had a test of faith and I'm sorry to say I did not do so well.  I understand enough to know to act better, and some of my response to the stimulus was OK, but when the real pressure - fear of death - occurred, I failed.  

I also have made mistakes in other areas like my favorite Christian cross design is actually a credit card holder - money wrapped by a cross!  How did I ever miss that one.  

At this moment I am de-stressing.  It's all voices outside my door and window, so I really don't know what to believe.  I don't know if i will die soon or not, none of us do.  

Les

Edited by Guest

My heart goes out to you @LesHall and I hope you get better.

• Like 1

Destressing is good. How is it going now? Hopefully you will get back in a happier place where it all makes sense again. Your message seemed a bit cryptic, but that you were struggling was pretty clear. Get well soon Les!

My heart goes out to you @LesHall and I hope you get better.

Destressing is good. How is it going now? Hopefully you will get back in a happier place where it all makes sense again. Your message seemed a bit cryptic, but that you were struggling was pretty clear. Get well soon Les!

Many thanks for your well wishes. I do feel better tonight. I am printing a tough print on my Ultimaker and it is doing a fine job! A while ago - this is funny - I referred to it as "a cupcake with a paint job" haha. Of course we all know better than that but it was humorous to me at the moment. Cheers!

Les

Morning guys.

I did a presentation about 3d printinging medical products (my job :) )

Its in... my version of german.. so I hope you can understand it a bit hehe ;)

Enjoy.

Ian :)

• Like 2

Hi @Ian, thanks for sharing your presentation! I think I also saw some tweets about it. How have you been doing? Was it a good event?

Hope everyone has had a good weekend! Any good stories?

Holiday photos are welcome, but please be considerate about us poor souls who are still left in our office spaces.. don't make us cry ;)