A different multi-extrusion approach - UM tool / printhead changer

Posted · A different multi-extrusion approach - UM tool / printhead changer

No news? houlàlà, I saw a print made by conny_G, is that some results?

Yes, it's my first "perfect" print, the third or fourth iteration on the 3D Benchy. Found out that my issues with that actually wasn't the calibration (as I though initially), but the print temperature of the magenta PLA...

For me the core issue is currently is that the docking process is not completely reproducibly stable yet - the head can tilt by 1-2mm in the dock. For me 100 picks-ups of the second head work, 1 doesn't. Curious how the new version of the dock will work that I just printed.

• Replies 1.3k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No news? houlàlà, I saw a print made by conny_G, is that some results?

Yes, it's my first "perfect" print, the third or fourth iteration on the 3D Benchy. Found out that my issues with that actually wasn't the calibration (as I though initially), but the print temperature of the magenta PLA...

For me the core issue is currently is that the docking process is not completely reproducibly stable yet - the head can tilt by 1-2mm in the dock. For me 100 picks-ups of the second head work, 1 doesn't. Curious how the new version of the dock will work that I just printed.

very exciting, I hope the new design works better. Great work, thank you for the news!

Beta testing update

The first tool changer upgrades are running.

We already changed two things. First, there is an alternative, super rigid dock version. Due to some manufacturing tolerances with the UM2 frame panels (e.g. thickness 6.0 mm vs 6.1 mm) the first version's click-on mount may not fit tight enough on every printer. Second, I added a small "life-saver" device, providing an additional mechanical interlock when picking up the head.

Moving ahead

I don't know your plans for the upcoming holidays and the first beta round isn't finished yet. But if some of those who showed interest on the doodle poll intend to use some free time to work on this at the turn of the year please send me a message. I'll update the documentation soon, so there should be an opportunity to join.

• Like 3

Posted (edited) · A different multi-extrusion approach - UM tool / printhead changer

Beta testing update

The first tool changer upgrades are running.

We already changed two things. First, there is an alternative, super rigid dock version. Due to some manufacturing tolerances with the UM2 frame panels (e.g. thickness 6.0 mm vs 6.1 mm) the first version's click-on mount may not fit tight enough on every printer. Second, I added a small "life-saver" device, providing an additional mechanical interlock when picking up the head.

Moving ahead

I don't know your plans for the upcoming holidays and the first beta round isn't finished yet. But if some of those who showed interest on the doodle poll intend to use some free time to work on this at the turn of the year please send me a message. I'll update the documentation soon, so there should be an opportunity to join.

I'm on holidays from the 25 december up to the 8 january and I stay home most of the time. If I can help, let me know.

Edited by Guest

With this 8h overnight print I tested the effect of the "live-saver device" that @foehnsturm has created yesterday. No fail in the docking process. For me that was the break-through to a new level of reliability. Now it needs to be stress tested for a while.

fullsizeoutput_dc7.thumb.jpeg.3ad1b7e0fe395933a02bcca67a175c7b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_dc7.thumb.jpeg.3ad1b7e0fe395933a02bcca67a175c7b.jpeg

• Like 3

WOW !!!!!

first print as part of the beta....

needs a bit more calibration, and a bit less temperate.... but looking damn good for a first print....

2plus.thumb.png.5b159db2ad189edc78f4b0767b6d80da.png

• Like 5

Imperial sized magnets would work as long as their holding force is in the range of 900 gr. But we would have to modiy the couplings to accomodate the larger diameter. The small difference in height shouldn't be an issue.

I just saw this paragraph! I missed it first time. D'oh!

If the magnets are press-fit, then the difference between 6.0 (+/- 0.1) and 6.35 (+/-) is huge. In which case I would suggest having version that accommodate North American people. If it is hard to locally get metric magnets in Canada, which is officially a metric country, just think of how difficult it would be for Americans. :) Then again, they have more scientists, so who knows, but still...

If the magnets are glue-on, then designing for imperial would cover all bases, I would imagine.

@SyntaxTerror has offered to hook me up, which is great, but I would still advocate for supporting imperial magnets just for ease of purchase worldwide.

Just my $0.02.

Thanks very much!

WOW    !!!!!  

first print as part of the beta....

needs a bit more calibration, and a bit less temperate.... but looking damn good for a first print....

I can see a ghost image of a calibration pattern in that photo!

Minimum orders being what they are, I have overflow. If you want, I could send you a set?

Hi @SyntaxTerror,

(I love your handle, BTW!)

I am interested in taking you up on your offer. I will PM you and we can hammer out the details.

Thanks very much! You are very kind! :)

Posted (edited) · A different multi-extrusion approach - UM tool / printhead changer

Minimum orders being what they are, I have overflow. If you want, I could send you a set?

Hi @SyntaxTerror,

I am interested in taking you up on your offer.  I will PM you and we can hammer out the details.

Thanks very much!  You are very kind! :)

Ah, no worries. I'd love to see a video of my face as I was trying to place the order. First I put 12 in the cart. Multiples of 10 only, it said. Fine, 8 more in. Then I ran into the minimum order amount. Fine, I did a quick calculation and learned I needed 50. So 30 more in the cart. Then because of the amount of magnets, it gave me a discount that put me below the minimum again. In any case, now I have enough magnets to do this thing to 10 printers.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Ah, no worries. I'd love to see a video of my face as I was trying to place the order. First I put 12 in the cart. Multiples of 10 only, it said. Fine, 8 more in. Then I ran into the minimum order amount. Fine, I did a quick calculation and learned I needed 50. So 30 more in the cart. Then because of the amount of magnets, it gave me a discount that put me below the minimum again. In any case, now I have enough magnets to do this thing to 10 printers.

You know, I have seen some nice magnet-based project on Thingiverse and YouMagine. Maybe it's time to make some magnetic (and dual-printed) gifts for family and friends! :D

Hi @SyntaxTerror,

I am interested in taking you up on your offer.  I will PM you and we can hammer out the details.

Thanks very much!  You are very kind! :)

LOL!!!

Ultiarjan

could you tell me what the test file was ?? is it a Thingyvers file??

Thank you

Thanks very Much will try it 8)

Finally I replaced my TFT couplers, now back to printing

50% size, 11 hrs printing

gyro-dodo.thumb.jpg.cb624c58fd77341814308fcbfc46a2d9.jpg

• Like 6

And one of my first very good prints with the tool changer

IMG_20161214_212223.thumb.jpg.a81f3d42552be27b2c4c98caec9ecf2e.jpg

Really nice results, still needed some fine tuning on the calibration but very happy for the moment

• Like 4

And one of my first very good prints with the tool changer

Really nice results, still needed some fine tuning on the calibration but very happy for the moment

is it so difficult to tune? this print is really nice! you're a lucky man to be part of the testers...

Finally I replaced my TFT couplers, now back to printing

50% size, 11 hrs printing

Hi foehnsturm,

Looks excellent!

So I guess this means you have PVA working and adhering successfully. And tips for PVA on the UM2(+) (i.e. *not* UM3)?

Thanks. :)

Well honestly, PVA on PLA without any help is still kind of an issue no matter what machine. The "secret" is to have either large flat top PLA surfaces for the PVA (obviously not the case here) or an  interconnecting PVA structure ("horizontal expansion" in Cura) so that the PVA on top of the PLA doesn't form an island. Ofc there are still geometries where this is difficult/impossible to achieve.

Edited by Guest

And 'nozzle wise' I guess a 3Dsolex Jet nozzle has more resemblance with a BB core than f.e. an E3D nozzle.

That's kinda funny. My impression is that @swordriff 3dsolex 0.4 mm works better for PVA than a standard nozzle. Most likely the internal, two-channel geometry helps to prevent agglomeration of burnt PVA in some way.