Why does my print have tiny zebra stripes?

Wisar

Posted · Why does my print have tiny zebra stripes?

Try another?

Regarding the stripes it is strange that this seems to be typical when #3DBenchy is printed via Cura. Hopefully the Ultimaker team will find a good solution. :)

Test #10 - Slicer = Simplify3D. Resulted in zebra stripes!

ShippyAgain1.jpg

It is starting to feel like the problem is in the boundary where the firmware meets the hardware!

• Like 1

Try another?

Regarding the stripes it is strange that this seems to be typical when #3DBenchy is printed via Cura. Hopefully the Ultimaker team will find a good solution. :)

Test #10 - Slicer = Simplify3D.  Resulted in zebra stripes!

ShippyAgain1.jpg

It is starting to feel like the problem is in the boundary where the firmware meets the hardware!

i'm edging towards the same conclusion. as the side of the boat is not perfectly parallel to the x axis. it might actually be the resolution of the y-motor we are seeing. That's why the 45¨ boat shows no lines. but still need to verrify

Posted (edited) · Why does my print have tiny zebra stripes?

Making a test sequence with the boats each rotated from 0-45 degrees in steps of 5 degrees might provides some valuable insights.

Ok, the slightly obsessed, thankfully retired, guy that started this thread will volunteer ...

Screen%2BShot%2B2015-06-17%2Bat%2B1.58.06%2BPM.jpg

My Simplify3D profile for the Ultimaker 2 is not ready for prime time but should work for this test!

Edited by Guest
    • Like 2

Making a test sequence with the boats each rotated from 0-45 degrees in steps of 5 degrees might provides some valuable insights.

Ok, the slightly obsessed, thankfully retired, guy that started this thread will volunteer ... starting at 15 degree increments of the cabin tops!

ok so i did 3 prints, just the cabin and a little bit of the bow of the boat. (don't pay attention to the broken parts i had some bad bed adhesion. but it finished the important parts)

1th, normal orientation

2nd 90° (facing the front)

3th 45°

(i hope the quality is good enough)

IMG_20150617_144018.thumb.jpg.0000743e0a3e93792831de6b6b9a3aab.jpg

IMG_20150617_144005.thumb.jpg.4dbc129371a5656f8007eabe5fe906a5.jpg

IMG_20150617_144028.thumb.jpg.798c3db24e1b44155a7a1b780c3d67a3.jpg

its seems the pattern is gone at the 45° angle where none of the faces are almost parallel with either the x or y axis.

So that means that the lines you see are actually the motor making 1 step  (as it makes 80 steps per unit) and is similar to the anti-analyzing effect.

IMG_20150617_144018.thumb.jpg.0000743e0a3e93792831de6b6b9a3aab.jpg

IMG_20150617_144005.thumb.jpg.4dbc129371a5656f8007eabe5fe906a5.jpg

IMG_20150617_144028.thumb.jpg.798c3db24e1b44155a7a1b780c3d67a3.jpg

Edited by Guest

Would it be possible for you to provide us the GCode for this print file? That would make it easier to analyse. :)

Which one and from whom?

Here is a link to one of mine that was stripey.

Even with 0 infill it has zebra stirpes, sorry about that! the light was a bit poor and it hadn't quite finished yet.

Edited by Guest

Also angle makes no difference, i printed it at 90 Degrees. i.e. imported it and scaled it to 0.6 i think and pressed print, printed it in 0.06 and my usual 1.2 shell, 0 infill, support everywhere speed 35/mms. Colorfabb PLA Red.

*CORRECTION* even with 0 infill it has zebra stirpes, sorry about that! the light was a bit poor and it hadn't quite finished yet.

the switch to 90° should not make any difference as the stripes are an effect of the plane not being parallel to either the x or y axis, but have a slight angle to them. the striping is the motor doing a step to make that angle in the plane.

the tests @Wisar is doing should show us at which angle (compared to the x axis the effect disappears).

i'll try to setup a similar test tomorrow to try and reproduce it outside of the little boat test.

For those who are interested.... 0 infill

20150617_170023.thumb.jpg.7fa4076e9e287e69f57c07bbb0e138d1.jpg

20150617_170032.thumb.jpg.1e9277e462c9192c034aed3d25fd73b6.jpg

20150617_170037.thumb.jpg.b352d1c664082c2e3f943f562c5a328b.jpg

20150617_170108.thumb.jpg.b3ce0cddefbcd2848dcb8b7c24220912.jpg

20150617_170050.thumb.jpg.9b48cc04c8f27c24bf56c04e3b31ebe1.jpg

Im not printing this boat anymore, too many overhangs, horrible in 0.06, lol.

20150617_170023.thumb.jpg.7fa4076e9e287e69f57c07bbb0e138d1.jpg

20150617_170032.thumb.jpg.1e9277e462c9192c034aed3d25fd73b6.jpg

20150617_170037.thumb.jpg.b352d1c664082c2e3f943f562c5a328b.jpg

20150617_170108.thumb.jpg.b3ce0cddefbcd2848dcb8b7c24220912.jpg

20150617_170050.thumb.jpg.9b48cc04c8f27c24bf56c04e3b31ebe1.jpg

Edited by Guest

Here is my print (#27 btw) that was done at 50% infill.  If you squint you can almost, just almost, make out some stripes.   Is infill masking the problem?

P1030011.JPG

And here is an army of boat cabins, at 5 degree offsets, rising from the proverbial mud.

P1030015.JPG

Edited by Guest
    • Like 2

P1030015.JPG

Err, did you leave the plastic film on your heated bed?? I'm pretty sure you're suppose to remove that before putting the glass on.

I believe that is Klapton Tape and if I were into self inflicted pain I could actually be printing on it instead of the glass. Pain because I have enough trouble replacing it on the small build platform of the Duplicator much less the big U2 platform. Which is why, even though printing on Klapton is nice, I don't much like it. It is, however, thermally very conductive so leaving it on the bed should not be an issue me thinks.

I think that I may have shot myself in the foot in the interest of speedy prints, but, based on what I did print I would say that the zebra stripes are largely gone as soon as you rotate the piece, and pretty much completely gone at 15 degrees:

Zero:

P1030018.JPG

Five:

P1030019.JPG

Ten:

P1030020.JPG

Fifteen:

P1030021.JPG

Full Ship at Fifteen Degrees versus one at Zero Degrees:

P1030023.JPG

The stripes are more noticeable as image quality improves so I may print another couple of cabins tomorrow at higher resolution and slower...but...I am finally getting tired of the little shippy. Also, my wife thinks I may be ready for a padded room.

• Like 2

I printed the cabins using better filament and Cura at the normal setting (as opposed to superfast using Simplify3D and a profile that I am not happy with). I think the results confirm the 5 degree increment prints though:

P1030024.JPG

P1030025.JPG

P1030026.JPG

The zebra effect is gone at 15 degrees of rotation. Previous prints would suggest that it goes very soon after any rotation as it faint at 5 and seems gone at 10 (and we know it is gone at 15).

ob·ses·sion - əbˈseSHən/ - noun - noun: obsession

the state of being obsessed with someone or something.

"she cared for him with a devotion bordering on obsession"

an idea or thought that continually preoccupies or intrudes on a person's mind.

plural noun: obsessions

"he was in the grip of an obsession he was powerless to resist"

Gee, sad when you put it that way. It's not like I am not getting other stuff done at the same time. Honest!

• Like 3

It's an obsession that helps the state of the art forward, so it's not all bad ;)

Good work @Wisar ! this really helps us understand the pattern! hopefully other people can benefit from it as well

Edited by Guest

So basically if you don't want zebra lines rotate it 15 degrees. Will this work for anything, or just the boat?

Edited by Guest

I assume it will work for anything.

So basically if you don't want zebra lines rotate it 15 degrees. Will this work for anything, or just the boat?

Yeah, the effect is because we try to print a line that is nearly parallel to one of the axis. If this the case, the resolution in the x-y motors becomes visible. As we rotate away from the axis and the line has an angle of 15° or more compared to either the x or y axis, the motor resolution becomes high enough and the effect becomes invisible.  

It's a bit similar as in this picture. where drawing the line at a slight angle makes it have jumps in it and when the jumps become small enough they are no longer visible.

5a330ecd45e00_linesexplained.png.4e4f5342322afb85d1253496060891ff.png

5a330ecd45e00_linesexplained.png.4e4f5342322afb85d1253496060891ff.png

Edited by Guest

I don't really print ultra straight stuff but thats good to know! thanks

Something else @IRobertI can add to his guides :p

• Like 1

Definitely!

@Wisar, if you have found an answer to your problem, would you be so kind to select the answer that helped you as 'Best Answer'. It would help future readers to get to the answer faster.

Thank you!

So it was somehow caused by the infill after all. Thanks for the multiple prints it's very helpfull to the community!

The 45degree twist was added a long time ago ;) But yeah, I can certainly expand it with more of an explanation as to why it can work.

Personally I'm more curious to know if we could get rid of this without resorting to finding the perfect angle to print at though. Plenty of objects will have walls that will "conflict" with each other so that you can't rotate the part into a perfect sweet spot for all walls.

Can something be done on a firmware level to get rid of these lines? Can the microstepping be increased for example? The guy who contacted us about this issue last week or so had printed the same print on a makerbot (not sure which model) and it didn't show this problem at all.