Sharing some exciting news: the Ultimaker 2+

SandervG

Posted (edited) · Sharing some exciting news: the Ultimaker 2+

Hi All,

It is CES time, which means we have some exciting news to share with you!

You may have already seen the teaser online and on top of that you probably all heard (or started :p) the rumours, gossip and predictions about what Ultimaker will be launching next, and when.

The when is an easy question which I can now finally answer; now!

The what though, will require some more effort explaining.

What.

Directly available from the launch (right now people!) we have replaced the Ultimaker 2 and Ultimaker 2 Extended with their successor; Ultimaker 2+ and Ultimaker 2 Extended+.

An Ultimaker 2+ is an improved version of the Ultimaker 2. These improvements are the result of the interaction and insightful feedback we received from you and the rest of our community.

Printhead.

In the printhead you’ll find a new and more accurate PT100, a stronger heater cartridge and a pre-installed Olsson Block so everyone has the opportunity to use different nozzle sizes and we improved the fan shroud for optimized airflow and cooling. The PTFE isolator is made from TFM, which has a longer life span. We have also removed the spring and implemented a spacer, this has less pressure on the PTFE isolator which also expands its life span.

And, maybe most important of all.. new clips to hold the glass plate in place that won’t mess up your finger!! :D

What I personally really like is the fact we are still holding on to our modular machine strategy, i.e. backwards compatibility. This means for our current Ultimaker 2 users we’ll have an Extrusion upgrade available to convert their Ultimaker 2 into an Ultimaker 2+. The Extrusion upgrade will be released later in Q1 in 2016.

2016-01-05.thumb.jpg.77cc030008c00996cb95f295dd3e55d7.jpg

The geared feeder.

The stronger geared feeder allows you to easily swap filament and choose the correct pressure for your filament. Just like the old feeder it has a lever through which you can choose your ideal pressure. For example with a softer filament you’ll need to choose a lower pressure. Such control increases the success rate of your prints. It also features a lever, when raised, you can manually insert or remove filament.

5a3315e68359d_Ultimaker2Detail2.thumb.jpg.2580e19e876c0161d18dfa8cfeab1a37.jpg

Combined with the Olsson Block which is now by default installed in the Ultimaker 2+ and a stronger cartridge heater the build speed volume can go up all the way to 24mm3/s with a 0.8mm nozzle.

The prize for these successors will remain the same as you have grown accustomed to with its predecessor. Check out our new product pages here!

We have also captured this information in this informative video

We are curious to hear what you think of these improvements! :)

2016-01-05.thumb.jpg.77cc030008c00996cb95f295dd3e55d7.jpg

5a3315e68359d_Ultimaker2Detail2.thumb.jpg.2580e19e876c0161d18dfa8cfeab1a37.jpg

Edited by TheDeugd
  • Like 1

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't wait for the upgrade. :)

Great job to stay with the design and allow for existing users to keep up to date

instead of releasing a new one.

I noticed the head stil has room for a second nozzle.

As it was modified anyway, will it allow for an actual dual-head upgrade now?

The second mount in the UM2 whas never oficially used.

Have the spacers for the timing belt pulleys been fixed?

The belts are always grinding on one side and not centered because the spacer is 0.5-1.0mm too short.

That was the case with my older Ultimaker II and my newer Ultimaker II extended and I noticed it consistently on a few other UM2 machines.

You'll notice dark timing belt shavings on the stepper, below the belt, after a few thousand hours of operation.

(No affect on reliability though but not just a cosmetical issue either.)

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Posted · Sharing some exciting news: the Ultimaker 2+

I do hope you think throught the upgrade option

Extrusion upgrade available to convert their Ultimaker 2 into an Ultimaker 2+. The Extrusion upgrade will be released later in Q1 in 2016.
as I already have an upgraded heater and Olsson block but I am very interesed in the new geared feeder and maybe the fan shroud too

congratulations on a good evolutionary step

Actually, the printhead doesn't have room for a second nozzle anymore.

At least, it used to have a hole but that has been closed.

That should give you a clear answer on the prospect of dual extrusion, right?

And you are welcome for the upgrade! :)

I really like that as well.

• Like 2

How is the usability with the newer materials like nylon (or basicaly any filament from taulman)

Will there be a stainless steel nozzle for the more abrasive materials ?

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

I was hoping they would upgrade the design to center the nozzle which would increase build volume and provide even cooling. The offset nozzle don't make sense if dual extrusion is never being implemented.

• Like 2

I assume the new feeder will be a huge improvement, just seems not to solve the ease of cleaning the driving nut. Is it easy to unscrew the top plate for cleaning? Is is possible to see the driving nut through the hole in the top plate? (can't see it in the picture).

Regarding the fan mount, I assume you made extensive tests? why is the design still not symmetrical versus the nozzle?

All in all I like the update, but considering the issues with the old feeder its a bit late ... at least a year too late imho ..

Looking at the issues people have with PTFE's a real improvement on the hot end would have been nice too... so there's still a few things too wish for ...

• Like 2

The nozzles remain the same, it comes with a 0.25 / 0.4 / 0.6 and 0.8mm brass nozzle.

It is a pretty common size, so I would not be surprised if third parties offers a stainless steal nozzle.

I don't think you need that for Nylon do you?

@Labern; YES! :D

• Like 1

Darn.... I planned on having 2 Olsson blocks for 2.85mm and 1.75mm filament and remove the unused nozzle to not have it hit anything and keep things perfectly reliable.

I'm sure you'll be able to drill a hole in aluminum :)

edit: actually in the video all holes are still open, only the hole in the fan shrout is missing, so indeed very easy to drill a hole.

Edited by Guest

Not for nylon, but colorfabb xtf20 is known to destroy brass nozzles

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

It is a pretty common size, so I would not be surprised if third parties offers a stainless steal nozzle.

http://e3d-online.com/E3D-v6/Extra-Nozzles/V6-nozzle-hardened-steel-3mmx0.4mm

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

What is TFM? Still PTFE of some sort?

I was hoping they would upgrade the design to center the nozzle which would increase build volume and provide even cooling.  The offset nozzle don't make sense if dual extrusion is never being implemented.

Impossible, the filament needs to pass the side of the XY axis, maybe a few mm extra can be done but it will be minimal.

It's the Olsson block.

So the stell nozzle still fits.

But I guess the default will still be a brass one.

from what I have seen the new machine comes with four nozzles 0.25, 0.4, 0.6 and 0.8mm

the Stainless nozzle from 3DSolex is 0.5 mm

Regarding the fan mount, I assume you made extensive tests? why is the design still not symmetrical versus the nozzle?

Yes they have done a lot of testing will quite a few different designs and have come up with some really good results.

There are manufacturing limitations to get the symmetrical design but I think you will find that the new one will be pretty good.

• Like 1

Summarizing:

Olsson block

25W went to 35W heater?

New fan shroud with new fans

New feeder

Those are the differences right? Not being negative, just summing up everything I could find. I assume the shroud and feeder are a huge step in the right direction for consumers that are not tinkering with their machine. Also the preinstalled Olsson block should be quite nice. I think the UM2+ is pushing towards common homes, rather than to power users. For them there is almost nothing new right? Many of the members here were running custom feeders and shrouds and Olsson blocks. Only the 35W heater and the fans (shroud). I was hoping for something really cool and unexpected ;) Something I could spend money on and mod to UMO(+). That being said I'm curious how good the fans are, both silent and powerful and if the shroud can be adapted to work on UMO(+).

And I read something about those finger saving clips, got any of those to give away at an ulti-evening :p?

• Like 3

Good work Team Ultimaker. Hope the Extrusion upgrade can be available asap. What about the geared feeder and glass clip? Upgrade able? Available for upgrade too? Thanks Team Ultimaker for your hardwork. :)

• Like 1

so many questions! :p

@UltiArjan, Since the previous feeder was partially open it was easier to clean by just blowing in it.

This feeder is stronger, and has a more closed housing. It is easier to take apart than the previous feeder because the motor doesn't fall off on the other side. That is secured.

So it is a matter of loosening 4 screws and take the cover off which is pretty accessible. It shouldn't be a daily part of maintenance.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 2

maybe a stupid newbie question...

will the 2+ that I buy in US work in Europe also? Are they using the same voltage?

reason for asking is that I currently live in US, but will in coming years be back in europe....

SandervG or someone else can you please confirm before I pull the trigger?

thanks.