Sharing some exciting news: the Ultimaker 2+

SandervG

Posted · Sharing some exciting news: the Ultimaker 2+

Resellers knew about this something like a week ago... so he might have been honest with you

Sorry but even if that's true this doesn't make me feel much better about spending 5K a week and a half ago, to buy outdated equipment, when i could have purchased a newer model literally a week and a half later for the exact same price.... whats the return policy for ultimaker?

It's true (at least for me) i received a detailed mail the 28th of december.

This is an issue to talk about with the reseller that has to negotiate it with Ultimaker IMHO

• Replies 285
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah not yet but i will be calling them tomorrow morning, and i will either be getting a discount or returning this or something, I'm really not happy.

There is going to be an upgrade kit, so it's not like everything is lost (even if you get no compensation)

Posted (edited) · Sharing some exciting news: the Ultimaker 2+

Yeah not yet but i will be calling them tomorrow morning, and i will either be getting a discount or returning this or something, I'm really not happy.

There is going to be an upgrade kit, so it's not like everything is lost (even if you get no compensation)

I didn't say everything was lost did i? but when you purchase something this large (sorry but 5k for me is alot) I expect to not have to pay another (guessing) 500-1k in upgrades a week and a half later, its kind of a hard pill to swallow...when i could have just waited 1.5 weeks and had that extra cash in my pocket... If i don't get some sort of compensation or refund I know for a fact i wont be purchasing anouther ultimaker if this is how they do business, as i don't think its the right thing to do , mostly to a brand new customer.

Put yourself in my shoes and tell me honestly that you wouldn't be a little upset.

Edited by Guest

I like what UM did. They have listened to people and improved their products. True to the principal; don't fix it if it ain't broke.

And, as I have understood, we are able to upgrade our old machines. I feel this strategy is very fair to customers.

Thank you UM.

• Like 2

question about the upgrade kit though;

will it be possible to buy separate portions?

I don't care about the feeder, but I do care about the fans and the aluminum spacer.. would be great to get my spacer replaced by a machined one..

I have ordered a Ultimaker 2 direct from Ultimaker website on 24 Dec (Hey UM has a special for a free Olsson Block until Christmas). As far as I know, the Ultimaker 2 has not been shipped yet. So am I going to get a new 2+ or the old 2?

Thanks!

Regarding the "I bought a machine X days/weeks ago" and being disappointed. Yes, it sucks, that's fully understandable. But, they have to do the switch sometime, right? Regardless of when they do it, someone is going to get mad. If they were to compensate "late" buyers, how far back should you go? A week? Two weeks? A month? Every customer has a different "pain threshold" so to speak and it's sort of impossible to make everyone happy.

If you feel cheated I would get in contact with your reseller and see if you can work something out. Just please be respectful, remember that the resellers are caught in an awkward position as well with stock of old printers that will now be a lot harder to sell. They'll likely have to take a heavy loss to clean out stock.

• Like 2

Regarding the "I bought a machine X days/weeks ago" and being disappointed. Yes, it sucks, that's fully understandable. But, they have to do the switch sometime, right? Regardless of when they do it, someone is going to get mad. If they were to compensate "late" buyers, how far back should you go? A week? Two weeks? A month? Every customer has a different "pain threshold" so to speak and it's sort of impossible to make everyone happy.

If you feel cheated I would get in contact with your reseller and see if you can work something out. Just please be respectful, remember that the resellers are caught in an awkward position as well with stock of old printers that will now be a lot harder to sell. They'll likely have to take a heavy loss to clean out stock.

totally agreed

I know you're one of those resellers (I'm always open to buy Um2s on the cheap ;) ) and yeah, where do you stop?

I've been caught on the bad side of the equation enough times,. and i simply reason with it by thinking about the fact that when i bought the machine i thought it was worth the money and it was a great machine. the fact that there are some improvements now doesn't change those facts. so you're still going to get that great machine..

• Like 1

I didn't say everything was lost did i? but when you purchase something this large (sorry but 5k for me is alot) I expect to not have to pay another (guessing) 500-1k in upgrades a week and a half later, its kind of a hard pill to swallow...when i could have just waited 1.5 weeks and had that extra cash in my pocket... If i don't get some sort of compensation or refund I know for a fact i wont be purchasing anouther ultimaker if this is how they do business, as i don't think its the right thing to do , mostly to a brand new customer.

Put yourself in my shoes and tell me honestly that you wouldn't be a little upset.

\

Hi @Mayo,

thank you for joining the forum :)

I understand your frustration, lets see how we can work towards a solution together.

How I see it you have several options, lets see which one you feel most comfortable with.

a) you could continue to have this order and once the upgrade is released you can upgrade your Ultimaker 2 to an Ultimaker 2+. I don't think if we talk to your reseller we can make this work in a reasonable fashion.

b) you are entitled to cancelling your order 14 days after receiving it, and you have the option to buy an Ultimaker 2+ instead.

About how we do business; our sole goal is to satisfy our customers and in this case we'll work with you to find a reasonable solution. Eventually, you have to sort it out with the reseller but I can't imagine we won't come to some sort of solution.

Try to stay calm and enjoy your step into the 3D printing scene. I'm sure soon you'll be comfortably and happy printing from your own home :)

I don't care about the feeder, but I do care about the fans and the aluminum spacer.. would be great to get my spacer replaced by a machined one..

Some parts will be available as spare parts, like the PT100, heater cartridge and PTFE TFM coupler. But the entire extrusion upgrade pack won't be split up in feeder / printhead seperate packages.

I have ordered a Ultimaker 2 direct from Ultimaker website on 24 Dec (Hey UM has a special for a free Olsson Block until Christmas). As far as I know, the Ultimaker 2 has not been shipped yet. So am I going to get a new 2+ or the old 2?

Thanks!

Could you forward me your ordernumber in a direct message? I'll have a look at it!

Agreed; there is no way we can never make everyone happy. But it is our intention to always look for a mutual and reasonable solution when someone feels mistreated. And so far I think we have always been able to. I would like to emphasise the request to stay respectful, as getting angry and rude won't help or benefit anyone. We all have good intentions.

Edited by Guest

So if you make TFM UMO/UMO+ Couplers:

- Happy users

- Users stop buying at china clones

- You show you keep giving love to the original machines

- Ultimaker makes revenue.

- Happy dance :)

I second that!

I wouldn't like it if that happend to me. Especially not if your reseller told you a week ago that there was no issue in ordering the machine. In the Netherlands we have laws for this which allows you to send back stuff you bought over the internet for 2 weeks after you got it an get a full refund, so this hasn't happend to me.

So if you make TFM UMO/UMO+ Couplers:

- Happy users

- Users stop buying at china clones

- You show you keep giving love to the original machines

- Ultimaker makes revenue.

- Happy dance :)

You had me at happy dance. ;)Let me have a look around and see what the options are in this regard!

Please add to your list new PT100 for UMO+ !

Sounds like the accuracy would be a great improvement too.

I will!
    • Like 1

Resellers knew about this something like a week ago... so he might have been honest with you

Sorry but even if that's true this doesn't make me feel much better about spending 5K a week and a half ago, to buy outdated equipment, when i could have purchased a newer model literally a week and a half later... whats the return policy for ultimaker?

Did you ask Ultimaker if they would do anything to compensate you?

@SandervG  I got similar questions via PM, do you have any policy for people who bought end of 2015? any sharp discount on the upgrade?

Such a question should be aimed at your reseller, not Ultimaker. But since we select our resellers carefully, we should all share the same passion and devotion in satisfying our customers and looking for a mutual solution.

(How did such a question end up in your DM?)

@SandervG, I have a question about the 'new' PT100 sensor. What is actually new? Until now, the UM2 had a PT100 class B with two-wire circuit? Does the new sensor differ in any of those two specs? If not, the change is for nothing IMHO.

A change from class B to class A would improve accuracy for about 1.5°C at 250°C. That's not crucial. A change from two-wire circuit to four-wire circuit might bring some more improvement.

quick question about the upgrade kit when it comes to the pt100 how will i know it is the new one( more accurate) will there be a specific model number / Part Number??

if Im stripping the machine again I may swell fit one.

@mayo77 dont worry, the changes seem minor and just make your life a touch easier and the fan shroud may improve youre prints a touch, but nothing too drastic thats its worth loosing any sleep over. A um3 and id also be upset, i bought mine (um2) only 4 weeks ago so im in the same boat as you. If it works well id leave it, maybe as a beginner the feeder might bother you, but i dont ever print on the roll anymore so the feeder is a non issue for me. The in built ob is handy though as even though i have one, i doubt ill  ever get round to installing it, for fear of damaging or ruining anything even though i got all the spare parts, lol. The fan noise also doesnt bother me as much as the mechanical noise so again thats a non issue unless they are actually more pwerful.

I have everything stock on my machine. But have found that bending the right fan shroud slightly upwards improves the airflow enough for me to not bother printing a new fan shroud out. I only foundhis out as my work machine had it bent as it arrived and it printed great so when i bought mine its one of the first things i did.

Edited by Guest

quick question about the upgrade kit when it comes to the pt100 how will i know it is the new one( more accurate) will there be a specific model number / Part Number??

They're easy to tell apart as the new ones have two separate wires going into the metal can as opposed to the single wire on the older variant. That goes for both PT100 and heater.

i doubt ill ever get round to installing it, for fear of damaging or ruining anything even though i got all the spare parts, lol.

I've installed about 30-40 blocks and only broken 4 sensors, one of which was because I was rushing. You'll be fine. I have a couple of tips in the installation guide I wrote.

I had hoped you just leaked the installation guide für the + kit :)

• Like 1

Some parts will be available as spare parts, like the PT100, heater cartridge and PTFE TFM coupler. But the entire extrusion upgrade pack won't be split up in feeder / printhead seperate packages.

So let me make sure I completely understand...

Olsson Block - Already got it (just not installed yet - Christmas present)

Improved Shroud - Have a similar printed model

Removal of spring - Have a similar printed model

TPM coupler - Have a small supply of TFT coupler from gr8

Improved glass clips - ehh

35W heater - Already got it (just not installed yet - Christmas present)

Improved PT100 - can buy as replacement part

Feeder - only available in upgrade kit

I'm still using the stock feeder (it's never really failed me and my printer has nearly 2000 print hours, but I also almost always print ABS). I am VERY interested in the new feeder. BUT because I was willing to keep up with the community "upgrades" (minus the feeder), I doubt it will make a lot of sense to purchase the upgrade kit. Why penalize the person wanting to improve their printer by not offering this separately?

• Like 1

I doubt it will make a lot of sense to purchase the upgrade kit. Why penalize the person wanting to improve their printer by not offering this separately?

You don't know what exactly will be offered later this quarter.

You will be able to buy any part as the rest you just have to ask your reseller about it