ULTIMAKER 3 (DUAL EXTRUSION?)

nerdwarrior

Posted (edited) · ULTIMAKER 3 (DUAL EXTRUSION?)

The main reason why it took so long to get the UM3 out was that we were shooting at a moving target (that and multiplying your size every year also puts a whole ton of overhead on an organisation!)

If we would have known in advance that it would take us 2+ years to build the thing, we would have made different choices. The most important thing I would have changed is the display; swap that thing out for a colour / touch interface and tilt it a bit.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 2

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · ULTIMAKER 3 (DUAL EXTRUSION?)

The main reason why it took so long to get the UM3 out was that we were shooting at a moving target (that and multiplying your size every year also puts a whole ton of overhead on an organisation!)

If we would have known in advance that it would take us 2+ years to build the thing, we would have made different choices. The most important thing I would have changed is the display; swap that thing out for a colour / touch interface and tilt it a bit.

2+ years! Wow.

And true I wish that the newer ultimakers have a tilted screen. I have used (but not owned) UM2+'s before, and I actually find the angle of the UMO+'s Ulticontroller much easier to use. The flat screen just seems awkward.

The most important thing I would have changed is the display; swap that thing out for a colour / touch interface and tilt it a bit.

I'm fine with a non-touch display as long as it has that size. A touch display has to be much bigger...otherwise it's a PITA to operate it if you don't have tiny fingers...

The most important thing I would have changed is the display; swap that thing out for a colour / touch interface and tilt it a bit.

I'm fine with a non-touch display as long as it has that size. A touch display has to be much bigger...otherwise it's a PITA to operate it if you don't have tiny fingers...

I agree with @Dim3nsioneer. The display is great as is. I have a printer that has a large touch display, and there are times when I have to really press on it, with both my finger and the stylus, and it makes me a little nervous.

The one thing I want back is onboard control of the brightness of the LEDs. Having it in my room and having a 1 day 10 hour print going... Kinda rough to sleep with those bright LEDs on. :) lol

True I'm also fine with a nontouch screen. But I would really have added a full external control of the machine since this days anyone has a photo. And I don't mean an app to launch prints but full screen control on a phone, basically there's no need to make a touch screen if you have one on your pocket that can be paired by wifi with your printer and it could allow you to set a new layer of security (for the owner) to remotely block a printer (on a school), control the leds, do technicall gcode tests for ideas or adjust fan/heat/flow on the fly without touching the printer.

The one thing I want back is onboard control of the brightness of the LEDs. Having it in my room and having a 1 day 10 hour print going... Kinda rough to sleep with those bright LEDs on. :)lol

You can darken the lights with a gcode added to your gcode file. That means though you probably want the entire print dark - can't easily change it part way through. This is discussed on Daid's wonderful post about gcodes I think.

The one thing I want back is onboard control of the brightness of the LEDs. Having it in my room and having a 1 day 10 hour print going... Kinda rough to sleep with those bright LEDs on. :)lol

You can darken the lights with a gcode added to your gcode file. That means though you probably want the entire print dark - can't easily change it part way through. This is discussed on Daid's wonderful post about gcodes I think.

You can darken the lights with a gcode added to your gcode file.  That means though you probably want the entire print dark - can't easily change it part way through.  This is discussed on Daid's wonderful post about gcodes I think.

Yes it was covered there, and is possible to change with the M142 gcode. I just miss that simple feature being already in the printer.

• Like 3

Yes please.

hallo forum.

i've readed the ability of the new U3 of detecting the kind of filament that is loaded (only spools from the brand Ultimaker). do you think that in a near future other materials from other companies can also be detected by the u3? because here in Germany waiting from 3 to 4 weeks to get spools from ultimaker... thats a long time when you take in count that theres filament companies that are sending their orders in two days time. waiting 4 weeks or 6 for a printer to arrive is smth different... but filament?

• Like 1

hallo forum.

i've readed the ability of the new U3 of detecting the kind of filament that is loaded (only spools from the brand Ultimaker). do you think that in a near future other materials from other companies can also be detected by the u3? because here in Germany waiting from  3 to 4 weeks to get spools from ultimaker... thats a long time when you take in count that theres filament companies that are sending their orders in two days time. waiting 4 weeks or 6 for a printer to arrive is smth different... but filament?

It has a pcb in the spool so the sensor (on the printer) can pick up the data from the spool and therefore tell what kind of filament is loaded and what the optimal settings are. Most brands don't incorporate this into their spools because most printers don't have the sensor, and it would just add extra cost. Possibly printers a few years from now will all be able to detect filament type, and having self-identifying spools will be normal, but that's the future :)

hallo forum.

i've readed the ability of the new U3 of detecting the kind of filament that is loaded (only spools from the brand Ultimaker). do you think that in a near future other materials from other companies can also be detected by the u3? because here in Germany waiting from  3 to 4 weeks to get spools from ultimaker... thats a long time when you take in count that theres filament companies that are sending their orders in two days time. waiting 4 weeks or 6 for a printer to arrive is smth different... but filament?

It has a pcb in the spool so the sensor (on the printer) can pick up the data from the spool and therefore tell what kind of filament is loaded and what the optimal settings are. Most brands don't incorporate this into their spools because most printers don't have the sensor, and it would just add extra cost. Possibly printers a few years from now will all be able to detect filament type, and having self-identifying spools will be normal, but that's the future :)

well, PCB is perhaps a big word.. it's really an RFID tag.. once the specs get released, you can even create your own with your phone :)

hallo forum.

well, PCB is perhaps a big word.. it's really an RFID tag.. once the specs get released, you can even create your own with your phone :)

Oops, my bad! Lost the word for it:P

Yes it was covered there, and is possible to change with the M142 gcode. I just miss that simple feature being already in the printer.

Note, that you can use M142 like it currently works is actually a bug. A future release will change it into M142 with HSV values instead of RGBW. Once that version is released I will put in the details of this change. Until then, see this as a workaround.

hallo forum.

It's incredibly easy to load a non-ultimaker filament. Just go to the menu and tell it what type of filament you just loaded. But these NFC chips can be recycled - I believe you can actually write to one with a gcode - not sure - but someone will come out with a hack to do that. Than you can just pull the chip off an old used-up UM spool, reprogram it, and tape it to a non-ultimaker spool. Or buy a whole bunch of these chips. And like Korneel says you should be able to program them with a droid phone if someone writes an app. Do iphones do nfc?

hallo forum.

It's incredibly easy to load a non-ultimaker filament.  Just go to the menu and tell it what type of filament you just loaded.  But these NFC chips can be recycled - I believe you can actually write to one with a gcode - not sure - but someone will come out with a hack to do that.  Than you can just pull the chip off an old used-up UM spool, reprogram it, and tape it to a non-ultimaker spool.  Or buy a whole bunch of these chips.  And like Korneel says you should be able to program them with a droid phone if someone writes an app.  Do iphones do nfc?

Windows phones do :)

No offense to windows (I love windows) but most people don't use windows phones......

• Like 2

2.5 years product development? LOL you should have used one of those companies that do that 3D printing thingy; they claim to do prototypes really quickly. Never mind always next time but if you can find one that makes printers, writes slicing software and supplies filament I am sure you could trust them to do a good job for you.

2.5 years product development? LOL you should have used one of those companies that do that 3D printing thingy; they claim to do prototypes really quickly. Never mind always next time but if you can find one that makes printers, writes slicing software and supplies filament I am sure you could trust them to do a good job for you.

I believe Ultimaker actually used their own Ultimaker 2+'s to prototype parts for their UM3! And it's kind of hard to beat Ultimaker when it comes to making awesome stuff......

I believe Ultimaker actually used their own Ultimaker 2+'s

Ultimaker 2 even :) I have a couple of early feeder prototypes that I got ages ago that were printed on 2s as far as I know. I also have prototypes of all metal hotends with about 10 combinations of coatings and materials on the parts (that, just like they have said, didn't work very well). I also saw an early version of the cartridge system that looked very different and was SLS printed IIRC. I've seen piles of extruded PVA, test jigs/rigs for testing extrusion forces etc. And I've only seen a small part of the dev process. It's been a long road...

I believe Ultimaker actually used their own Ultimaker 2+'s

Ultimaker 2 even :)I have a couple of early feeder prototypes that I got ages ago that were printed on 2s as far as I know. I also have prototypes of all metal hotends with about 10 combinations of coatings and materials on the parts (that, just like they have said, didn't work very well). I also saw an early version of the cartridge system that looked very different and was SLS printed IIRC. I've seen piles of extruded PVA, test jigs/rigs for testing extrusion forces etc. And I've only seen a small part of the dev process. It's been a long road...

That's kind of true for any project. After all, Thomas Edison himself had to try 1000 times before perfecting the lightbulb.

It's no wonder Ultimaker is as popular as it is.

Hello!

I'm an owner of the good old UM Original, and now I'm interested in the new model.

I've got a question regarding the new model: What type of material is the new cable thread besides the bowden tube?

chrome_2016-11-12_21-54-51.jpg

Hello!

I'm an owner of the good old UM Original, and now I'm interested in the new model.

I've got a question regarding the new model: What type of material is the new cable thread besides the bowden tube?

chrome_2016-11-12_21-54-51.jpg

Is a shielded cable that carries the 3 fans, 2 pt100, 2 heaters and level sensor that plugs to a mini board on the printhead.

finally int arrived u3 :)and im soo happy...very awesome features... i have a few questions...

theres a way to make the camera work faster?---> it is kinda slow.... i thought i can make speed runs with it... and there will be a way to control the printer remotely, i.e my mobile phone? up to now i only found that i can see what the camera sees trough Cura.... but, my printing is standing 30 Cm away from my computer... so its like... redundant... :)

theres a way to adapt the u3 build plate to an 2+?

any way of changing retractions speed and length  while printing wirelessly from cura?

Edited by Guest

finally int arrived  (u3) and im too happy...very awesome features... i have a few questions...

theres a way to make the camera work faster?---> it is kinda slow.... i thought i can make speed runs with it... and there will be a way to control the printer remotely, i.e my mobile phone? up to now i only found that i can see what the camera sees trough Cura.... but, my printing is standing 30 Cm away from my computer... so its like... redundant... :)

You can link directly into the video stream, also from your phone;

yourIP:8080/?action=stream

There will be a phone app for control, but for now in closed beta.

For both options you need to be on your local network, so find out how to setup a VPN, took me only a few minutes, but how easy it is is depending on your router.

Edited by Guest