Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade

...but when i print, as soon as the print starts, it goes to 250mm/s and 6 or 7mm. Is there some preset or setting i miss?

Many thanks!!

The gcode sliced from cura contains a lot of acceleration/jerk command to get better quality.

If you read the gcode you will find a lot of M204/M205 commands.

Ok, so i can accept this as a normal thing with the new Cura?  Anyway, at this moment, seing how well things work and prints, i will gladly accept this, together with the intelligent temperature control, it amazes me that it can do a dual color print, without prime pillar, without color contamination.

So good is just ordered a UM extrusion upgrade kit to get things 100% !!!

Edited by Guest

Posted · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade

Cura has a ton of speed / acceleration / jerk settings for travel, infill, walls support etc.

If you like you can activate these in the "manage printers - settings (speed section)" window and set your own values.

As for me, I got the docking and print head parts printed ready for my UM2+ to arrive so I can start tinkering with it.

Just checking....  "or my UM2+ to arrive"  I hope you don't mean you're waiting on a NEW um2+ to arrive?    Did you read the latest Ultimaker 2's are MISSING THE 5th DRIVER so you can not control the 2th extruder?

It's mentioned on the site and in the BOM, but just thought I notice it again to be clear. ultimaker can not give an exact moment they changed the electronics, but roughly on machines from end 2016 - 2017 you should check if you still have the 5th driver on the main board.

I think an important nuance is, it may be missing. Getting exact clarity on this has been difficult.

In any case, it's reasonably easy to tell whether or not you have an afflicted board, as the E2 plug is not mounted on the board (so there's nowhere to connect the second extruder stepper). It's just a matter of removing the cover and counting how many stepper motor connectors are present. 5 is good. 4, not so much.

Hi,

I have a question about printing the needed parts. In the manual it is recommended to print the parts in high temp PLA. That is ok, but will it deform when I want to print something in PC? If yes, is it better to print all the parts in PC?

Also somewhere it says that it is a good option to print some parts with semiflex material. What do you recommend and is easy to order for someone living in the Netherlands.

Thanks in advance!

Really looking forward making this Mark2 upgrade on my Ultimaker 2+ Extended (with 5th motor driver, I checked!)

If you've got well working settings for PC I see no reason against it.

As for the flexible, something in the range of shore 95A is ok (and well printable). I'm using Formfutura's (which ia actually a Dutch copany) Flexifil.

Also somewhere it says that it is a good option to print some parts with semiflex material. What do you recommend and is easy to order for someone living in the Netherlands.

NinjaTek stuff seems rather hard to source in Europe for some reason. I was hunting for some SemiFlex myself not too long ago and finally managed to track it down at iMakr... only to have them tell me that they couldn't supply it any longer because it's going out of production. They did however instead supply me with Cheetah, which supposedly is the replacement product.

Get 20% OFF your next order

Code: #TPUFLEX6

https://extrudr.eu/collections/tpu

If you're buying the high temp PLA..... they now also have 3 types of flex. The medium seems best for a bowden type machine.

And about FormFutura, I may be wrong but I think they are a trading company, branding stuff, but not a filament producer...

I buy my NinjaFlex from bol.com (or reprapworld.nl -- same source) or amazon Germany...

I Decided to give it a go printing the Parts so I've printed the flexible wedges in nGen Flex ?? and I am about to order some "Extrudr MF PetG" this would be ok for the main Parts ??

I think so. I also ordered Extrudr MF PetG for the first time yesterday ;)

Edited by Guest

I'll hang off until I know if its good enough.. got a lot of other things to get on with..

Update 10 May 2017

My old converted UM2 is now a UM2+ mark 2-I am very happy!!!

I printed all my parts in Polymaker Pla, strong and no problems with it, even the wedges are superstrong.

I started with the old UM2 head + bowden + old um2 feeder, but soon felt there was room for improvement. (skipping / bowden problems / 2 different settings makes it even complicater)

For the wiring, and the control of all the fans, is used the mark2 print + wiring, piece of cake, and best of all, the fans of the second had are "inteligent", when the head is cold, no fan turning, quiet. (firts i had all the fans wirde together, and it was a lot of noise)

Then spend the extra 500€ for a second UM2+ extruder upgrade kit, and the complete hardware of the printer is now working nicely, easy settings, stable calibration.

Just one issue left, i had 2 prints where the print stopped with the out of print area message.

At this moment, and with the info found on the internet, i am trying to avoid this with another sd card, and wiring the second extruder motor thru the ferrite core found in the right side of the printer.

At the moment i am printing with polusupport as suport material, but i have the feeling PVA is the way to go.

Any tips on good pva? + settings?

Many thanks to the community!

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

the Ultimaker PVA is very nice, but super expensive.... I've made a few prints with Makerpoint M-PVA, also works fine, but you notice it's a bit more sticky.

KEEP IT DRY, I even keep it dry when printing...

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/drybox-for-pva-ultimaker3

for settings just have a look at the UM3 settings i think? to be honest I have not tried pva on the mark2 .... but @foehnsturm did..

I haven't tried it yet, but I found the PVA (removal) that Joel demonstrates

interesting. (like I said, dunno if it is any good.)

the Ultimaker PVA is very nice, but super expensive.... I've made a few prints with Makerpoint M-PVA, also works fine, but you notice it's a bit more sticky.

for settings just have a look at the UM3 settings i think?  to be honest I have not tried pva on the mark2 .... but @foehnsturm did..

I think i will start with the UM pva, just to be sure i have the right stuff.

You say keep it dry (in the past i already printed with PVA, without succes on a Leapfrog Creator, and in the end i left the roll in a zipbag, placed it in such a way the filament could be extracted out of the bag without tangling. Other solution i tried was measuring the length i needed + some extra, and unrolling that from the spool.

You solution is better ofcourse. But where to find the sillicagel i sufficient volume?

I have made a start on doing this upgrade on my UM2ex+ (fitted with upgraded extruder kit) with head parts and stepper motor mount printed and waiting for the interface board which 'SyntaxTerror' is kindly sending me.

Reading through the Mark 2 BOM I see that the firmware will need to be altered for my set up - Using the upgraded extruder kit as the main feeder, with the original UM2 extruder/stepper motor as the new addition - Olson kit fitted on old extruder.

I would be most grateful if someone could point me in the right direction (commands etc to use) so that this combination would be usable.

Many thanks for your assistance.

Andy

Edited by Guest

ERROR printing out of printing area

Had this again, with another part.

Until now 3x, and what is see is that the second head is always connected at the time of error, the head goes to the home position..

Used the tinker expansion board non extended version.

I was one of the people who also had the power problem with the recenet tinker version, maybe connected?

I have made a start on doing this upgrade on my UM2ex+ (fitted with upgraded extruder kit) with head parts and stepper motor mount printed and waiting for the interface board which 'SyntaxTerror' is kindly sending me.

Reading through the Mark 2 BOM I see that the firmware will need to be altered for my set up - Using the upgraded extruder kit as the main feeder, with the original UM2 extruder/stepper motor as the new addition - Olson kit fitted on old extruder.

I would be most grateful if someone could point me in the right direction (commands etc to use) so that this combination would be usable.

Andy

I think the only additional thing to do is setting different esteps for both extruders in the firmware menu: Advanced->Preferences->Motion settings->Axis steps/mm

ERROR printing out of printing area

Had this again, with another part.

Until now 3x, and what is see is that the second head is always connected at the time of error, the head goes to the home position..

Used the tinker expansion board non extended version.

I was one of the people who also had the power problem with the recenet tinker version, maybe connected?

In Cura check: Travel->layer start x/y and set it to something like 100.0/50.0

Then you could activate the Mart2Tweaks Plugin.

And use the S3D gcode viewer (still better display of movements) to check for weird moves to the borders of the printing area. There shouldn't be any except for the very first and very last layer.

for settings just have a look at the UM3 settings i think?  to be honest I have not tried pva on the mark2 .... but @foehnsturm did..

I think i will start with the UM pva, just to be sure i have the right stuff.

You say keep it dry (in the past i already printed with PVA, without succes on a Leapfrog Creator, and in the end i left the roll in a zipbag, placed it in such a way the filament could be extracted out of the bag without tangling. Other solution i tried was measuring the length i needed + some extra, and unrolling that from the spool.

You solution is better ofcourse. But where to find the sillicagel i sufficient volume?

I more or less copied the UM3 pva settings (temp, speed, accel, jerk, retraction, cooling, support pattern, x/y/z distances, support interface)

I've got some kilos of silica gel bags (each one 450 gr), enough for many years. If you need some, let me know.

Edited by Guest

But where to find the sillicagel i sufficient volume?

here in the Netherlands, but probably everywhere, you have these cheap "euro stores" where they sell drugstore stuff, I picked up these big bags there for around a euro.

you can also get it at DIY shops, camping shops etc, but more expensive.

Andy

I think the only additional thing to do is setting different esteps for both extruders in the firmware menu: Advanced->Preferences->Motion settings->Axis steps/mm

If you keep the old (black) UM2 feeder as 2th feeder, you also need to change the rotation direction for this feeder, it's in the same menu.

Many thanks foehnsturm and ultiarjan for your assistance - will give that a try when its all set up.

Andy