Flow sensor for the UM2+ (and even perhaps for the UM3) - Call for pilot users

Posted · Flow sensor for the UM2+ (and even perhaps for the UM3) - Call for pilot users

Hi guys,

Sorry again for being unresponsive. Other projects have been taking up most of my time and still will do so (see below 😉 )

So, I will post step files and a very rudimentary BOM within the next two weeks.

You will need to cast tiny silicone wheels and perform some delicate adjustment when mounting the encoder, which used to be a CUI AMT103-V.

image.thumb.png.bb20a9175b91383e81b4a8d4a9b37451.png

Posted · Flow sensor for the UM2+ (and even perhaps for the UM3) - Call for pilot users

Thanks for you input. I will try to make it. The only problem I see is how to make silicone wheels. So, some input what silicone to use and the model for casting would be appreciated.

By the way WOW!! The thing on the picture is beautiful. Mind telling us what it is? A power amplifier?

I'm currently running a test print to see if I selected the correct stl files (after all, that was quite a long time ago). 

If everything fits properly I will post files tomorrow.

Um-Flow-Sensor.zip

Explanations will follow.  

• Like 1

Found this:

Ultimaker Feeder Left Assembly S3/S5 (igo3d.com)

Ultimaker Feeder Right Assembly S5 (igo3d.com)

Not in the US, but maybe a possibility for the UM3. I'm still interested in a flow sensor and it seems like enough time has passed that we should know something more.

25 minutes ago, 3dprntz said:

Found this:

Ultimaker Feeder Left Assembly S3/S5 (igo3d.com)

Ultimaker Feeder Right Assembly S5 (igo3d.com)

Not in the US, but maybe a possibility for the UM3. I'm still interested in a flow sensor and it seems like enough time has passed that we should know something more.

Hi 3dprntz,

there was an interesting post by @CarloK two weeks ago, regarding to using the flow sensor on an UM3:

"

On 9/5/2021 at 1:06 PM, Enigma_M4 said:

Does this mean the flow sensor would be supported by the UM3 if installed? So could I just buy complete S5-feeders and change the UM3 ones with them?

Kind regards

@Enigma_M4 Yes, it's possible and works great on my UM3 but not officially and requires a small change to the printer's software configuration. You could even experiment with 1 feeder first before spending the money on the 2nd feeder.
    When desired I can create a new topic explaining this in more detail.

"

Unfortunately, the explanation of the required software changes has not yet been made; perhaps he's to busy at the moment?

Regards

Thanks! Where did you quote this from? I would love to hear more on the topic and the possibility of implementing or making one. Maybe making a mod for the Ultimaker 3 feeder to be like the newer one. But, purchasing the feeder seems easier if we can get the updates needed.

2 minutes ago, 3dprntz said:

Thanks! Where did you quote this from? I would love to hear more on the topic and the possibility of implementing or making one. Maybe making a mod for the Ultimaker 3 feeder to be like the newer one. But, purchasing the feeder seems easier if we can get the updates needed.

Just a FYI, on desktop, if you hover over the bar for the quote and hit the reply arrow, it'll bring you to the thread. 

Here it is: Clicky Click

Hi guys,
    I didn't get to posting an article on how to integrate the S3/S5 feeder with flow sensor on the UM3, but it will arrive soon. I already collected two S5 feeders.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, CarloK said:

Hi guys,
    I didn't get to posting an article on how to integrate the S3/S5 feeder with flow sensor on the UM3, but it will arrive soon. I already collected two S5 feeders.

Awesome!! I'm excited to hear the article. Just a question? Does the UM3 or S5 printers send a notification and pause the print when it has a filament error, like in the app or digital factory?

The printers are paused on a filament error, but I don't think we can send a notification (great idea though).

Posted (edited) · Flow sensor for the UM2+ (and even perhaps for the UM3) - Call for pilot users
    1 hour ago, CarloK said:

The printers are paused on a filament error, but I don't think we can send a notification (great idea though).

Not sure if there would be a way to implement this, but it would be great for projects that I have (and is it different when the filament runs out?) I think it would help reduce waste and save money, especially if notifications with errors were integrated with the app. But, I have a bunch of filament that have some material leftover, but not enough for some projects. Honestly, I feel like the app, now that there is digital library, has a lot more potential and could be integrated more with the cloud.

Edited by 3dprntz

When I said 'filament error', then it is my normal way of speaking where I mean the whole collection of filament related problems like: running out of material, material blocked by entanglement, blocked nozzle, too much friction by worn out bowden tubes, material slippage because of too hard material or worn out feeder wheel, etc.

in all these problem situations the printer will go into a pause state where you can fix the problem or replace the material and then continue your print.

So yes, the flow sensor is a great help in using up all those spools with little filament left.

I agree that the app in combination with the Digital Factory could be a strong combination. I've forwarded your suggestion.

Found the board for the flow sensor. But, doesn't it need the wheel? 

Ultimaker Filament Flow Sensor PCB Right S5 (igo3d.com)

6 minutes ago, 3dprntz said:

Found the board for the flow sensor. But, doesn't it need the wheel? 

Ultimaker Filament Flow Sensor PCB Right S5 (igo3d.com)

Yes, just the sensor board is not enough. That's why I thought of using the whole S5 feeder assembly (which would also update the abrasion-resistant feeder wheel).

5 minutes ago, Enigma_M4 said:

Yes, just the sensor board is not enough. That's why I thought of using the whole S5 feeder assembly (which would also update the abrasion-resistant feeder wheel).

It would be nice if it were easy enough to just get the pcb and maybe find the other parts somewhere else for cheaper, even if printing some of the parts. Is there another place that sells these parts in the USA?

For USA, check www.fbrc8.com which is the official Ultimaker reseller for USA. @fbrc8-erin is also an active member of this forum 😉.

Regards

Got a hold of their sales department. Says there are two versions. Is there much of a difference between them, or one that would be best for this project?

On 9/23/2021 at 11:40 PM, 3dprntz said:

Got a hold of their sales department. Says there are two versions. Is there much of a difference between them, or one that would be best for this project?

just left and right I guess...

Posted (edited) · Flow sensor for the UM2+ (and even perhaps for the UM3) - Call for pilot users

@CarloK

Please share with us a guide for you mod for the S5 feeder on the UM3.   So many of us I think are wanting this feature.   Totally capable to do whatever edits need to be done in firmware / software or any configs.

Edited by polygonfuture
    username

On 9/25/2021 at 3:12 PM, ultiarjan said:

just left and right I guess...

I think there is the R1 and R2 of the S5.

17 hours ago, 3dprntz said:

I think there is the R1 and R2 of the S5.

I was out of the office last week. 

There was a feeder design update. If you update one feeder, they both need to be updated as there's differences in the boards on them so they need to be running the same one. If you'll email my team back with your serial number, I can tell you which version is on your machine currently.

The discussion of the UM3 flow sensor based on S5 feeder has been moved to its own topic:

• Like 1