Flow sensor for the UM2+ (and even perhaps for the UM3) - Call for pilot users

Posted · Flow sensor for the UM2+ (and even perhaps for the UM3) - Call for pilot users

@gr5 I tried as you suggested and ran the filament through by hand facing the way it would be go normally and it seems to get caught and stop the rollers each time. 

I had tried with some straight filament and it was fine. With the curve like normal it gets stuck. 

I tried to file down the teeth a bit but it didn’t help. 

Posted · Flow sensor for the UM2+ (and even perhaps for the UM3) - Call for pilot users

With "gets stuck" do you mean the filament can't be moved anymore or the filament keeps moving but the sensor gear doesn't turn (sensor wheels slipping)?

• 2 weeks later...
    On 5/14/2019 at 2:26 PM, foehnsturm said:

PM with shipping address so far:

@Nomo

@gr5 (new)

Other guys, come on!

I need a little more feedback to place the parts order. 

Sent you a PM

On 7/16/2019 at 5:17 PM, foehnsturm said:

So now it's:

@Nomo

@gr5

@Scrat82

@deisengard (3 units)

Almost a reasonable number. However due to holiday season here the new estimated shipping would be late August.

Don't forget about me 😉 (I already sent you a pm)!

Count me in UM2+

On 7/16/2019 at 11:17 AM, foehnsturm said:

So now it's:

@Nomo

@gr5

@Scrat82

@deisengard (3 units)

Almost a reasonable number. However due to holiday season here the new estimated shipping would be late August.

Any updates on this? I would still like to get 3 of these, and maybe even a 4th or 5th because i plan on getting a few more um2+'s in the near future.

Well this is a very interesting topic, but while reading this I lost track of the development progress for the UM3 version of the sensor, does anybody have an update?

Maybe now that the S3 is released (and the UM3, S5 and S3 run on the same code base) it would be a bit easier to implement the sensor for the UM3 since there is already a woring implementation for the S line printers.

So now it's:

@Nomo

@gr5

@Scrat82

@deisengard (3 units)

On 9/13/2019 at 10:58 AM, Scrat82 said:

Any updates on this? I would still like to get 3 of these, and maybe even a 4th or 5th because i plan on getting a few more um2+'s in the near future.

I'm also wondering about any updates on this... How many orders would you need in order to move forward?  Thanks!

... same for me. I´ m running a Um3e and I´ m wondering if there is any progress to get an implementation of a sensor that comunicates with the hardwäre of my printer. Especcially because that would render my recent topic useless and would save me alot of braincells for solutions that are already in the makeing or about to get finalized...

If something however gets in the devstate of testing (UM3e only) pls count me in for it.

Thx.

Posted (edited) · Flow sensor for the UM2+ (and even perhaps for the UM3) - Call for pilot users

Hello,

I'm also interested in.

I'm using UM2+ with dual extrusion, so I need two of the sensors.

How much does the package cost. Which firmware version do I need for the dual extrusion.

Regards

Ralf

Edited by rawafn

Hi All. Also interested. UM3 extended. Very interested indeed!

So now it's:

@Nomo

@gr5

@Scrat82

@deisengard (3 units)

I now have 5 um2+ machines that I really need filament monitors on each one. I am going to reach out to you to see if your still going to do this or not. Other wise I will find a different way to get this done on my machines.

I'm interested in this as well. Would likely need two since my UM2+ is a dual extruder. 

Posted (edited) · Flow sensor for the UM2+ (and even perhaps for the UM3) - Call for pilot users

Has anyone used the flow sensor with Cura 4.5? If I only set to print with Extruder 1 and turn off Extruder 2, Extruder 2 will still warm up to printing temp and continue to be in standby mode. The flow sensor will work no problem.

Normally if I print with one extruder, I would use the Ultimaker 2+ Machine settings. Using version 3.2.1, I can select Ultimaker 2+ and everything will print without a problem. 

If I do the same using Cura 4.5, the flow sensor will work during the priming and then when it begins printing, the sensor will detect a material transport issue.

How is everyone printing with one extruder using 4.5?

Edited by henry-tong

@foehnsturm

Is this project dead?

There seems to be enough interest, but no response...

With the S3 out now does this change anything? I am still interested in one for my Ultimaker 3.

On 5/14/2020 at 10:08 PM, Frogger said:

With the S3 out now does this change anything? I am still interested in one for my Ultimaker 3.

Apart from the S3 having filament sensors (so there is now a printer with smaller build size and filament sensor) it does not change anything for the previous models. The firmware of the Ultimaker 3 and the S-line remains partially closed (means only the Marlin part is available upon request). That said it is not possible to adapt the Ultimaker 3 firmware and publish it legally.

On 5/14/2020 at 7:57 PM, reprogue said:

There seems to be enough interest, but no response...

Afaik that interest was never large enough to make a small series production worth to be ramped up.

I would consider the project to be silently terminated.

Hi,

If the project is terminated is there any chance to get the the information how to DIY the kit?

I have an S3 but also an old UM2+ and don't want to sell it as it prints so much faster and nicer because of the lighter head, but the flow sensor presented here would put it on another level… I really want one!

Not exactly what you asked for, but JFYI:

www.ibrieger.de/pimped-ultimaker-2.html#feeder-flowratesensor

On 5/16/2020 at 3:15 PM, Dim3nsioneer said:

Afaik that interest was never large enough to make a small series production worth to be ramped up.

I would consider the project to be silently terminated.

Doubtful, because foehnsturm mentioned in a post he needed at least 5 binding orders.

Looking at this thread, I count at least 10:

@Nomo
    @gr5
    @Scrat82
    @deisengard (3 units)
    @scenic01
    @rawafn (1 or 2 units)
    @dfrez (1 or 2 units)
    @reprogue
    @Frogger
    @AndrejV
    @HaryPlotter (for UM3)
    @wtfastro (for UM3)

foehnsturm hasn't been very talkative, so it's everyone's guess what's going on with this.

Too bad this isn't continued.

2 hours ago, reprogue said:

Doubtful, because foehnsturm mentioned in a post he needed at least 5 binding orders.

The 5 binding orders were for testing the sensor at the start of the project. I refered to a small series production of something like 100-150 pcs.

His last post was an answer for 6 orders:

On 7/16/2019 at 5:17 PM, foehnsturm said:

So now it's:

@Nomo

@gr5

@Scrat82

@deisengard (3 units)

After first initial prototypes a 100-150pcs next order is a bit unrealistic… So probably something changed his mind, or he does not own a UM2 anymore and lost interest… I think it still would be nice if he did lost interest to give the BOM and source files, so somebody else can continue… It is clear that S3 already has the sensor and UM3 is closed firmware but there are still quite some UM2, UM2+ printers in operation out there that would greatly benefit from it...

Would be in with one too

BR

Luchador