DXU - Efficient Dual Extrusion Upgrade for UM2+

Posted · DXU - Efficient Dual Extrusion Upgrade for UM2+
On 3/21/2019 at 3:17 PM, Turbo-Power said:

Sanbrother sells parts for DXU on ali.

thank you !!. this is the link, perhaps faster than using an agent (still waiting for one part)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3D-Printer-Upgrade-Ultimaker-2-UM2-Extended-Newest-Olsson-Block-Nozzle-Hot-end-Kit/32988128287.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.79084c4dR7XwgC

2 hours ago, Garufa said:

Well i had a small part to play in that..... cause they actually got me the parts from taobao 😉

2 hours ago, danielkrice said:

Is this mod still only for 1.75 filament?

I went looking for a version of the hardware for 2.85 mm filament and had trouble. I'm going to order the 1.75 mm hardware on ali and see what I can make or modify for 2.85 mm filament.

Really like the look of this design which Firmware are you using is this custom,, also what slicer I use S3D and find the Mark 2 a little awkward to use with it... VERY Good work though highly impressive.

On 4/7/2019 at 10:55 AM, danielkrice said:

Is this mod still only for 1.75 filament?

On 4/7/2019 at 1:19 PM, burdickjp said:

I went looking for a version of the hardware for 2.85 mm filament and had trouble. I'm going to order the 1.75 mm hardware on ali and see what I can make or modify for 2.85 mm filament.

On 4/7/2019 at 12:19 PM, burdickjp said:

Any luck?

Hi, you could buy a "Ultimaker 3 printcore AA 0.4"  for disassembling. Than you could use the 2.85mm parts an the Olson lock

(https://www.igo3d.com/Ultimaker-Core-AA-fuer-UM3)

ummmmmm not a bad idea but was hoping for a cheaper option...

My 1.75 mm parts are on the way from alibaba. I'll report back when I've had a chance to investigate them.

• Like 1

My parts came in. They look really good!

I'll take measurements, put together some solid models, and write up a description sometime this week.

Posted (edited) · DXU - Efficient Dual Extrusion Upgrade for UM2+

Here's my first blog post about the hot ends:

https://burdickjp.gitlab.io/2019/05/14/dxu-1.html

Verdict: I think I've found an easy way to run 2.85 mm filament.

Edited by burdickjp
    • Like 1

Posted (edited) · DXU - Efficient Dual Extrusion Upgrade for UM2+
    On 5/15/2019 at 9:39 AM, burdickjp said:

When you buy on Taobao you have the option to buy PI rings so the tube is not in contact with the hot end

yyh1002 wrote:

I added a PI ring between the nozzle and PTFE tube for heat resistance, similar to the one by 3D Solex

Edited by Garufa
    To quote text

On 4/8/2019 at 1:37 AM, bob-hepple said:

Really like the look of this design which Firmware are you using is this custom,, also what slicer I use S3D and find the Mark 2 a little awkward to use with it... VERY Good work though highly impressive.

Thanks. Software side it works basically the same as Mark 2, hence similar CURA and E3D profiles. 

On 5/15/2019 at 11:39 PM, burdickjp said:

Nice post.

The 1.75 hotend runs with a custom 6.35 OD 2 ID PTFE bowden tube, sold by the same Taobao seller. The major advantage of this PTFE hotend is that there is pretty much no chance of nozzle jam or clog for PLA even with frequent long retractions. With the PI insulator ring applied, the PTFE last much longer and can also handle high temp materials. As for using E3D heatbreak, the current heatsink probably won't be able to cool it down properly because the surface area is much smaller. 

You can consider trap a piece of 6.35 OD 3.2 ID or 5 OD 3 ID PTFE tube inside the heatsink. I think the 4*3 PTFE would deteriorate pretty quick due to thin wall thickness, and it is also too soft to hold up to the compression from filament. Making 1.75 and 2.85 hotend components swappable isn't all that necessary. You would need to make compromise on both sides to achieve that. I think it would be better to make two entire printheads with 12pin connector for quick swapping. That would be much less hustle, much more reliable and cost very little. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, yyh1002 said:

The 1.75 hotend runs with a custom 6.35 OD 2 ID PTFE bowden tube, sold by the same Taobao seller. The major advantage of this PTFE hotend is that there is pretty much no chance of nozzle jam or clog for PLA even with frequent long retractions. With the PI insulator ring applied, the PTFE last much longer and can also handle high temp materials.As for using E3D heatbreak, the current heatsink probably won't be able to cool it down properly because the surface area is much smaller. 

You can consider trap a piece of 6.35 OD 3.2 ID or 5 OD 3 ID PTFE tube inside the heatsink. I think the 4*3 PTFE would deteriorate pretty quick due to thin wall thickness, and it is also too soft to hold up to the compression from filament. Making 1.75 and 2.85 hotend components swappable isn't all that necessary. You would need to make compromise on both sides to achieve that. I think it would be better to make two entire printheads with 12pin connector for quick swapping. That would be much less hustle, much more reliable and cost very little. 

I'm not necessarily looking at being able to swap between 1.75 mm and 2.85 mm with the same hot end. I'm looking to use the same form factor for both. The same, or mechanically compatible, external dimensions.

• Like 1

Looking forward to a 2.85mm solution for this mod, as I simply don't like using 1.75 in a bowden setup.  Cheers and great work.

On 6/6/2019 at 6:09 PM, artistebot said:

Looking forward to a 2.85mm solution for this mod, as I simply don't like using 1.75 in a bowden setup.  Cheers and great work.

I am, too!

It will be a short while as I am in the middle of a move. I've got some new ideas, but they're not mutually exclusive ideas.

I intend to test the hotends in my ultimaker as it is before changing to the DXU.

On 9/22/2018 at 5:41 PM, yyh1002 said:

Hey guys,

I would like to share a lever action dual extrusion solution I came up with for Ultimaker 2+.

The approach is based on the great effort everyone put into Mark2 and Ultimaker 3. 

The print head holds two hot ends, which are originally to be installed on standard UM2 head for 1.75 filament. The right nozzle move up and down for nozzle swapping. 

This compact dual print head can achieve single extrusion print area of 220x223x205, and dual extrusion print area of 202x223x200.

DSC08349.thumb.jpg.1891fb711f1d9255a4a239ee340d14e0.jpg

DSC08350.thumb.jpg.a9e1d69c10c74a5ca472a6f9861e081f.jpg

IMG_3484.MOV_20180923_015524_315.thumb.jpg.85ff785990b9447b985c1b35cb9e49c4.jpg

DSC08623.thumb.jpg.f2e73609b183e2e2b5663

DSC08631.thumb.jpg.7f13684f0e7cb1c1b9461

Video clips:

Files and instructions available at:

https://github.com/yyh1002/DXU

Credits:

Lever lifting mechanism is inspired by Ultimaker 3.

The firmware is modified based on Mark2 version of Tinkergnome firmware by @tinkergnome.

CURA profiles are modified based on the Mark2 profiles by @tinkergnome and @foehnsturm. Used Mark2Tweaks plugin for CURA by Krys Lawrence.

is this upgrade also possible on the UM2?

Yes it is possible. You couls do it on UMO, UMO+, UM2.

I upgraded my UMO+ to UM2 DUAL+

http://www.jtronics.de/werkstatt/3d-drucker-ultimaker-umo-upgrade/

Next time I will upgrade it to DXU.

The printing results are the same like with my Ultimaker 3.

• Thanks 1

I cant seem to find the PI insulators on Ali express. I tried ordering from TaoBao but they held my order and never shipped it, they also kept my payment. So I bought what is on Ali and the Heat sink is different, although dimensionally the same, the fins are thinner and more of them. So the heat sink clamps in the files don't fit.  

D77AE148-9AB8-4C64-983B-A382A9415C08.png

Hi all,

I just bought an Ultimaker 2+ Extended and since I have used a CR-10 for about 2 years I still have a lot of 1.75mm filament and the 1.75mm filament is highly available in my country, therfore I would like to convert the UM2+ to 1.75mm.

I would also like to try out dual extrusion and direct drive, and I found this thread, which seems to include the 1.75mm part and also the dual extrusion part. It also seems to do it for around the same price as it would cost to only do the 1.75mm conversion.

I have looked a lot into the BOM and the seller from Taobao's store and found that almost all that is needed is possible to buy from this seller. Are there any reasons why you choose not to do that? Bad quality or something like that?

Here is the list I have created:

Item Amount Price/Item Total Price (RMB)  
    UM2 1.75 Hotend Kit (Heatsink, Bowden Coupler) 2 35 70
    UM2 1.75 Hotend Heat Block 2 25 50
    290°C High Temp Print Hotend Insulator 2*4*1 2 32 64
    UM2 Heater Cartridge 2 55 110
    UM2 PT100 Sensor 2 42 84
    2*6.35 PTFE Bowden Tube 2 15 30
    6.35 Bowden Coupler 2 1 2
    1.75 Filament Feeder 2      
    NEMA17 42*48 Stepper Motor 1 49 49
    3510 12v Blower Fan 2      
    3010 5v Hotend Cooling Fan 1 7.5 7.5
    Linear Bearing LM6LUU 6*12*35mm 2 16 32
    Total:     498.5

Can I still use the original feeder but with a 2*6 PTFE Bowden tube and then buy this extruder: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.3-c.w4002-9900754940.72.2ada2d37ndiKyj&id=525270842166 and use a bowden tube made for 1.75mm or would that cause problems? Maybe it's better to buy two of the metal feeder? If so, I guess I only need two "normal" 1.75mm bowden tubes? The 2*4*1 insulator is out of stock right now, I guess 2*4*1.5 wont work, so I need to wait until it's back in stock before I can order anyway.

One of the reasons I would like to order everything or most of the stuff from the same seller is that we pay a fixed tax/package here, the other is to save on shipping, and also that I get all the items at the same time 🙂

Hi again,

It doesn't seems like it's possible to edit a post, so I have to create a new one. 

I asked a chinese colleage to ask the seller about the 2*4*1 insulator, and the seller said that he will not restock it. Do someone know if it's possible to order it from somewhere else?

12 minutes ago, hakkattakk said:

Hi again,

It doesn't seems like it's possible to edit a post, so I have to create a new one. 

I asked a chinese colleage to ask the seller about the 2*4*1 insulator, and the seller said that he will not restock it. Do someone know if it's possible to order it from somewhere else?

I asked the seller. PI insulator is still available. The stock from now on is 2*4*1.5, which also works with DXU. 

• Like 1

I got it working with 2,85mm filament, i ordered 26mm Stainless Steel heat break with teflon PTFE tube for 3mm filament ( 26mm heatbreak withe PTFE on aliexpress ) , 

Teflon PTFE tube OD 4mm / ID 3mm on aliexpress 

Have it working for a few weeks now without problems

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, klaasie said:

I got it working with 2,85mm filament, i ordered 26mm Stainless Steel heat break with teflon PTFE tube for 3mm filament ( 26mm heatbreak withe PTFE on aliexpress ) , 

Teflon PTFE tube OD 4mm / ID 3mm on aliexpress 

Have it working for a few weeks now without problems

Why the heat break?