Ultimaker Cura | a new interface

SandervG

Posted · Ultimaker Cura | a new interface

Hi,

It should be good to know when there is a post code in the interface. For instance, you have printed something with a pause at height or something else. A day after, you want to print something else and here, since Cura is remembering your setting, the pause is still there but you do not remember it.

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Cura | a new interface

Thanks but not sure I have done that but will keep it in mind.

So I guess I need to edit my Start GCODE.  It does show G28 Z0 ;home Z  but it does not go home on any prints.

I suppose the following needs changing some how?

G21 ;metric values

G90 ;absolute positioning

M82 ;set extruder to absolute mode

M107 ;start with the fan off

G28 Z0 ;home Z

G1 Z15.0 F840

G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length

G1 F200 E3 ;extrude 3mm of feed stock

G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length again

G1 F840

;Put printing message on LCD screen

M117 Printing..

Maybe someone can list their Start GCODE and maybe I can use or modify it.

Edited by Firepower

Anyone list a Start GCODE that does go home and maybe I can modify it or use it.

Appreciated if someone can list theirs..

Edited by Firepower

Thanks.

I copied someone else Start GCODE and now it goes to the home position but it prints at the home position which is not good.

This is what I have copied and taken it to the home position.  Now to work out to get it to print in the middle of the bed.

;Filament used: {filament_amount}m {filament_weight}g

;Filament cost: {filament_cost}

G21 ;metric values

G28 X0 Y0 ;move X/Y to min end-stops

G28 Z0 ;move Z to min end-stops

G1 Z15.0 F{travel_speed} ;move the platform down 15mm

;M117 My Print...

G28 X0 Y0

G1 E4.0 ;prime extruder

G92 E0 ;reset extruder length

M420 S1 ; Bed Leveling On

M420 Z4 ; Level at Z Height / no further Z-Axis Corrections

;M420 V1 ; Print the leveling grid

Edited by Firepower

In Machine Settings, is the "Origin at center" box checked? It shouldn't be (unless you have a Delta-style printer).

The Origin at Centre is checked for my Cocoon Create/Wanhao Duplicator i3 v2 printer.with a heated bed 214mm by 214mm.

Someone said to change the Start GCODE to include:following but it still prints at the home position.

G28 X100 Y100 ;move X/Y to 100X100

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is what I have at present at the Start GCODE.

;Filament used: {filament_amount}m {filament_weight}g
    ;Filament cost: {filament_cost}
    G21 ;metric values
    G28 X100 Y100 ;move X/Y to 100X100
    G1 Z15.0 F{travel_speed} ;move the platform down 15mm
    ;M117 My Print...
    G28 X0 Y0
    G1 E4.0 ;prime extruder
    G92 E0 ;reset extruder length
    M420 S1 ; Bed Leveling On
    M420 Z4 ; Level at Z Height / no further Z-Axis Corrections
    ;M420 V1 ; Print the leveling grid

Quote from the G-Code manual:

The X, Y, and Z parameters act only as flags. Any coordinates given are ignored

this means that these three lines:

G28 X Y

G28 X100 Y100 ;move X/Y to 100X100 

Will do the same the same.
    You can find all the G Codes and what they do here: https://reprap.org/wiki/G-code

The Start G-Code does not effect what Cura see as the center of you build plate, that is set in the Printer settings.

In Preferences->Printer->Machine Settings->Printer  there is a setting Called Origin at center, that one have to be unchecked if your 0,0 is in the front left corner of the build plate, (you see that when you home the beast).

Another thing is that it doesn't make much sense to prime the extruder before bed leveling, that filament will just ooze out during the leveling process.

Best regards

Asger

Edited by Asger-P

It seems you all know a lot about the G-code.

I am wonder is it possible to display on the LCD screen of my CR-10 controller what layer is being printed?

I am using Cura 4.0

1 hour ago, Firepower said:

The Origin at Centre is checked for my Cocoon Create/Wanhao Duplicator i3 v2 printer.with a heated bed 214mm by 214mm.

It should be unchecked.

Asger-P    -  Thanks for the reply and the big list of G-codes.

With the old Cura and the proper Profile it has always primed the extruder before doing the print.

Anyway I have it working now but it is not quite printing in the middle of the bed.

I'll put a photo here where it is printing on the bed.  That should fix all my current problems.

1 hour ago, ahoeben said:

It should be unchecked.

Thanks for that.  I unchecked it and it now prints fairly close to the middle of the bed.

I'll put a photo here of the position when the print has finished.

5 minutes ago, Firepower said:

With the old Cura and the proper Profile it has always primed the extruder before doing the print.

I did not say that you shouldn't do that, I said: that it doesn't make much sense to prime the extruder before bed leveling. It should happen as the last thing in the script, just before it starts to print. Ooo! I now see that it doesn't matter at all because your extruder isn't hot yet, so the line of code won't actually do anything except make the extruder grind on the filament, unless of course you preheat it using the menu system..
    You need to heat up both the extruder and the bed with code like this:

M140 S{material_bed_temperature_layer_0} ; set bed temp

M104 S{material_print_temperature_layer_0} ; set extruder temp

M190 S{material_bed_temperature_layer_0} ; wait for bed temp

M109 S{material_print_temperature_layer_0} ; wait for extruder temp

When everything is hot you can level the bed and you can then prime the extruder.

First check that the bed actually is the size that it is set to in the printer setting, if so then you can adjust the center in the extruder setting using x and y offset, negative values moves the center to the right and to the back.

Ooo! I now see that it doesn't matter at all because your extruder isn't hot yet, so the line of code won't actually do anything except make the extruder grind on the filament, unless of course you preheat it using the menu system..

Marlin has a mechanism to prevent cold extrusion.  It won't move the extruder unless it is at least 170C, so no grinding the filament.

But since you mentioned the preheat commands, I always let Cura insert the appropriate temperature commands ahead of my start gcode so the bed and nozzle were at temperature for printing before my start gcode was processed.  At some point, Marlin started letting the nozzle temp drop about 10 degrees (for PLA.  ABS was more like 25) while running the G29 bed levelling.  The bed temp stays very stable, but the nozzle temp dropped. So I added

M109 S{material_print_temperature} ; wait for extruder temp (Note: not layer_0)

right after the G29 command so the printer would wait until the nozzle temp was at the correct temp again.  This works, but screws up everything.  Cura no longer put the M109 command ahead of my start gcode so the nozzle was cold until after the G29 command.  I guess this is a good and bad thing.  Good in that the nozzle isn't just baking the filament during probing and oozing it out.  Bad in that I have to remove this statement if I use another slicer which is a whole other issue (think supports  😡 ).  I used a G4 S10 before I found the Cura snippet, but it has to be changed for each print temp.  The higher the print temp, the more dwell is needed.

Is this the intended way for Cura to work?

Wayne

26 minutes ago, Xeddog said:

Marlin has a mechanism to prevent cold extrusion.  It won't move the extruder unless it is at least 170C, so no grinding the filament.

Yea, I forgot, thanks.

4 hours ago, RocketNut said:

I am wonder is it possible to display on the LCD screen of my CR-10 controller what layer is being printed?

It does display the Z height, at least my Ender 3 does, but you can have a look st post processing, there is a script called: Display filename and layer on LCD, I haven't tried it though.

11 hours ago, ahoeben said:

It should be unchecked.

ahoeben    Thanks for that.  I unchecked it and it now prints fairly close to the middle of the bed.

I'll put a photo here of the position when the print has finished.

Xeddog and Asger-P             

Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately we are going away for two days and will check out the information when I get back.

I am pleased as I have it printing on the bed but not quite in the middle as in the photo.

I'll get back to it on Sunday.

Thanks.

IMG_2861.JPG

7 hours ago, Asger-P said:

It does display the Z height, at least my Ender 3 does, but you can have a look st post processing, there is a script called: Display filename and layer on LCD, I haven't tried it though.

Yes, my machine (CR-10) shows Z but jumps around while printing, so if the LCD screen displays the layer would be nice

Where can I find the script.you mentioned?

Cura Menu -> Extensions -> Post Processing -> Modify G-Code

Thanks everyone for your help.  It is great I got so much help here.

My initial problem was I could not slow down the Support speed in the old Cura and it came out all broken up.  Someone mentioned that in Cura 4 you can slow down the support speed and that is where the fun started.

I needed to select a printer so the Cocoon Create Modelmaker did not work and there was nothing just for a Cocoon Create printer.then I got one I named Cocoon Create from somewhere and the Start G-code did not work properly.  This is where you all helped and nearly got it to work good but after watching some more youtube videos I actually found the Add a Printer then Other.

I recently found in Other Wanhao Duplicator i3 which my printer is apparently copied from.  After loading that all is working great.

So now my Supports are printing great for the first time in three years, as in the photo.  Guess you call that progress.  🙂

I have so many questions in Cura V4 but I'll give someone else a go here and do some more reading before I ask more questions.

Thanks again everyone that helped.

IMG_2888.JPG

Edited by Firepower

The new UI is not an improvement. The settings (which is most of the work you do in a slicer) are not there by default, and when the are enabled they take up quite a bit more room than before. What is the point of covering so much of the screen - then you actually have less room for your design. Of course you can make a "cleaner" interface by removing all the necessary functionality. The new UI is not cleaner - it is more messy - it just looks cleaner initially when it is useless.

A normal workflow requires you to iteratively adjust settings while looking at the slicing result.

Dear Ultimaker,

The change is simply too big. You have introduced more new elements creating issues than fixing old issues. I'm sure you have GUI / UX people who likes to "make a difference" - but they should be more focused making improvements and less on making a personal footprint / statement. Some of us are stuck with Cura because we bought an Ultimaker. It would have been much better to work on getting e.g. three-support to work properly, increasing slicing speed (e.g. only reslice changed parts), fix the super-slow multiplication of parts, fix the sub-standard part placement algorithm, fix the constantly breaking network connectivity issues (might have been fixed in latest FW have not checked yet), improve / introduce free support placing and so on, than smearing new make-up on.

@hoegge you might like the Sidebar GUI plugin that is available in the Marketplace. It reverts some of the UI changes and rearranges some functionality for those who think the sidebar interface is superior.

34 minutes ago, ahoeben said:

@hoegge you might like the Sidebar GUI plugin that is available in the Marketplace. It reverts some of the UI changes and rearranges some functionality for those who think the sidebar interface is superior.

Thanks @ahoeben - I'll try that.

Edited by hoegge