Aluminum build plate update

SandervG

Posted · Aluminum build plate update

Given that Ultimaker gave up on the aluminum build plate, would it be possible for them (as an open source company 🙂 ) to release the data and specs that lead them to that conclusion? There are enough engineers/designers etc on here that someone could make this work in much the similar way to the olssen block/dual extruders that were made for the ultimaker2's?

Surely that has to be more of a compromise position than 'we cant get it to go, so you cant have it'? and gives people the option one way or the other? You never know, you could even solve these 'issues'.

I'm pretty sure that those that absolutely want an aluminum build plate could get their own made and possibly work around any issues that Ultimaker came upon?

On 3/24/2019 at 5:18 PM, Carla_Birch said:

@SandervG Any update on when the plates will start to ship out to people?

Hi thank you for your post. This week glass plates should be being shipped to our partners and they'll then ship them to you. So I would expect that you should receive it somewhere next week. Hope this helps! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SandervG said:

Hi thank you for your post. This week glass plates should be being shipped to our partners and they'll then ship them to you. So I would expect that you should receive it somewhere next week. Hope this helps! 

Many thanks for the update 🙂

On 3/26/2019 at 11:59 AM, SandervG said:

@SandervG We greatly appreciate the update and look forward to the new glass plate.  Our original plate has suffered a little from harsh removals, so a new one will help a lot.

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

I spec'd the S5 for my client and they purchased based on my reputation and claims of Ultimaker's excellent reputation for quality and service.  Now I eat crow.

Funny, I had not heard about the cancelled aluminum plate until today when I thought to investigate why it had not shipped yet.  Very disappointed to hear it is cancelled.  I have read through all the exchanges and have to say that it strikes me odd that a second glass sheet would be an equal replacement for what was suppose to be vastly superior aluminum sheet.  If the glass is (and always has been) as good as they are saying it is now, why ever have started designing/marketing the aluminum?  Clearly they were trying to improve some poor qualities of their existing glass (performance or cost or both) and they came up short.  I do appreciate the honesty that they failed to meet their own standards.  I'm even glad that they have their own standards.  However, offering an inexpensive glass sheet to customers who paid a premium for a printer that now doesnt deliver what was promised is poor form.  A second glass build plate is not a solution for everyone and others have proposed very very (note the double very) reasonable alternatives like build sheets, or nozzles, etc.  There could have been many possible offerings to make it right.  I dont understand why Ultimaker has picked this one and tried to make it sound like a good solution.  A good solution is the one that makes the customer happy.  Refunds should be offered to those who have now found out that this machine will not allow them to experiment as advertised.

The printer I had purchased was sourced through an Ultimaker dealer, which is probably going to make this even more problematic. 

I am disappointed and will now have to look into how to return this printer.  My $749 Prusa at home has a better build sheet and the difference in price speaks for itself (even given smaller build tray size).  Not good.

My understanding is that there are many grades of aluminum but only MIC6 grade is flat and stays flat.  But after you heat it and cool it for months it starts to warp.  Worse than the glass.

ALSO the aluminum wasn't for PLA or most other materials - only a few of the new materials work better on aluminum.

I could be wrong about these things - I'm really not an expert.  Ultimaker doesn't like to release something unless it works very very well and consistently.  I think they have learned their lesson about announcing things early.

• Like 2

Hi Ben,

Thank you for your message. You or your client should have received a request to register yourself upon unboxing your Ultimaker S5, so we would know where to send the aluminum beds to when they were ready, back when everyone was still under the impression that it was going to be released. This database was used to reach out to our users and inform them about the regretful, but understandable, decision to cancel the development of the aluminum build plate. 

As you may have read in our earlier communications, initial results from testing an aluminum bed seemed very promising and it seemed like they could add some 'ease of use' to our customers 3D print experience. This does not mean that without an aluminum frame, the same materials can not be printed. Instead, with a glass plate you may need an adhesion sheet or additional adhesive. 

Since an additional build plate was promised, we decided to send everyone a second glass plate, because even though it is made of a different material, it still provides higher uptime by being able to swap build plates after a print is finished. 

If you or your client is having any difficulties printing certain materials, of which you had hoped that an aluminum build plate would bring salvation, please let us know and we will figure out how you will be able to reliably use those materials with a glass plate. 

If you already own a second glass plate and therefore it would not bring you an increased uptime, please send me a DM and we can look for a reasonable alternative that would work for you and your client. Again our apologies for this outcome, we also would have preferred to release it. But as you mentioned, our quality standards prevented us from doing so. Thank you for your time. 

Out of curiosity what have other people been getting as an "reasonable alternative" to the plate?

That varies depending on the user and how they're using their Ultimaker. Depending on which materials or challenges someone has, it could be that we added some adhesion sheets to overcome a specific issue or if someone already purchased multiple glass plates we could consider reasonable alternatives like filaments and the likes of that. In general I believe this is something between Ultimaker and the users we spoke with. Our goal was to look for common ground that brought satisfaction for both parties involved. Given the situation we've tried to be as flexible and reasonable as possible with each individual case that contacted us. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited) · Aluminum build plate update
    On 3/26/2019 at 3:59 PM, SandervG said:

Hi @SandervG,

Have still not heard anything about the glass plate, should i contact the company who i got the printer from?

Edited by Carla_Birch

Hi Carla, your best bet would be our sales partner in your region has more information. Since you are from GB that would be 3DGBIRE.

(A sales partner is our partner in a certain region that we work together with very closely. They sell our products, but also appoint all resellers and should ensure a good customer service regionally. So it may not not be necessarily your reseller, but it could be.

I'll share our other sales partners here below as a reference:

GB - 3DGBIRE

DE, AT, CH - iGo3D

Nordic + Baltics - 3DVerkstan

FR - Makershop

NL, BE, LU - Trideus

As far as I know, iGo3D hasn't received the glass plates yet but will give a try and contact them.

3 hours ago, SandervG said:

DE, AT, CH - iGo3D

I just asked iGo3D about the status and when they should arrive, but iGo3D said the glass plate is shipped from Ultimaker directly and not over them. So at least for iGo3D, they will not send the plates to the registered customers.

Just now, Smithy said:

I just asked iGo3D about the status and when they should arrive, but iGo3D said the glass plate is shipped from Ultimaker directly and not over them. So at least for iGo3D, they will not send the plates to the registered customers.

That does not seem right. Let me share this with our channel managers and sort it out. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks!

I just phoned with my suplier "Reichelt Elektronik" in Germany. They also say they know nothing about it....

Reichelt is only the "box mover", for Germany it is iGo3D.

Until today, still nothing received. 😞

We just received our exrta Glass buildplate Friday.

Minnesota, USA

• Like 1

igo3d told me that they got the glass plates and that they will send the plates at KW 18 or KW19. 

5 hours ago, zungara said:

igo3d told me that they got the glass plates and that they will send the plates at KW 18 or KW19. 

That's interesting, thanks for the update. So it seems that not all employees there have the same information.

On 4/15/2019 at 9:00 AM, SandervG said:

Hi Carla, your best bet would be our sales partner in your region has more information. Since you are from GB that would be 3DGBIRE.

(A sales partner is our partner in a certain region that we work together with very closely. They sell our products, but also appoint all resellers and should ensure a good customer service regionally. So it may not not be necessarily your reseller, but it could be.

I'll share our other sales partners here below as a reference:

GB - 3DGBIRE

DE, AT, CH - iGo3D

Nordic + Baltics - 3DVerkstan

FR - Makershop

NL, BE, LU - Trideus

Contacted 3DGBIRE and they say they don’t have the plates and it’s still being discussed far they know.

On 4/16/2019 at 8:58 AM, zungara said:

Got an update today from iGo3D and they confirmed KW18/19.

23 hours ago, Carla_Birch said:

Contacted 3DGBIRE and they say they don’t have the plates and it’s still being discussed far they know.

Thanks for the update. I checked with our channel manager and I can confirm a significant batch has been picked up already by 3DGBIRE. I'll ask them to ensure their entire team is up to date to make sure you get the correct information as a customer. Our apologies for the inconvenience. 

Got mine today from Trideus. (NL/BE/LUX)

• Like 1