Aluminum build plate update

SandervG

Posted · Aluminum build plate update

I think one the factors wrong that most people have with this is the replacement value, a new glass build plate is like €32 new and thats official ultimaker one, I'm sure an aluminum would have cost a great deal more than that, we ordered a machine with a promise of something and we are not getting that promise now we are being given something i feel of greatly less value as a way to make us feel happy they broke a promise?

When you break a promise you should try and go above to make people happy, this just feels like the min ultimaker could have done and is not a like for like value replacement, i mean i'm happy i'm getting a extra glass even know i already have some due to the delay in the 2nd plate but you could have easy added up the value and the use of it by adding some sheets in also for people that wanted the aluminum build plate to use with filaments that are harder and more likely to damage the glass.

right now it seems like getting out of this without it costing ultimaker anything is more important than our trust as customers. 

you should not have hyped up how great this build plate would be and then tried to convince us it wasnt really going to make a difference. dont you see how that is super shady?

That is the point.

But on the other side Sander has send me an PM. Perhaps we find a solution. For me it is important the promise they made will be get real. Easy print with a lot of different materials.

It must not be an aluminium plate. :-) 

@SandervG Could you not put forward the idea to pack in a box of the adhesion sheets also along with the extra glass? this would:

1) make the value more like for like in terms of whats been lost out by no longer getting the Aluminim build plate, because i'm very sure it would have cost much more than a glass one to replace.

2) Would add back some of the promise that you can print more hard wearing filaments on the machine that are not so kind to glass build plates.

3 hours ago, twuelfing said:

your treating your customers very very poorly and have taken advantage of their trust. 

i started out being on Ultimakers side expecting you to realize your offer was never going to be acceptable.

what i want more than anything is acknowledgement that this entire thing has been bungled, and i want to know your doing to prevent it from happening to others in the future. this is the second time this exact issue has happened after all.

be genuine, be honest, be fair.

right now it seems like getting out of this without it costing ultimaker anything is more important than our trust as customers. 

you should not have hyped up how great this build plate would be and then tried to convince us it wasnt really going to make a difference. dont you see how that is super shady?

i will keep an eye on this thread for the next couple weeks while i think about how i want to pursue corrective action related to this. I spent about 8,000 euro on this printer and the stuff to get it going. this wasn't trivial but your offer trivializes it.

i hope you find a way to do better or at least be more accountable over the next few weeks.

its sad to see Ultimaker not standing behind its claims and promises yet again. the printers are so good, and the trust is so quickly ruined. 

happy holidays all i hope your less let down about how this has been handled than I am.

dude. let it go.

you are treating this like Ultimaker's intention from the get go was to take your money, then take off like a nice cartoon-villain. 

grow up. 

you bought a printer. the printer was supposed to have an alu buildplate. Ultimaker tried really hard to get that to work. They could not get it to work. They tried. They really did. 

so the outcome is not one they liked. nor is it one their customers like. I have 8 Ultimaker S5s. I chip glass plates when printing with engineering materials, and was really hoping for that build plate. do you see me attacking the company? 

I for one have chosen to put my trust in the company that they will continue to deliver great products. and with every few steps forward, there will be a step back. it's called reality. 

please explain to me how reaching out to all customers that have registered for the build plate via email, and doing a very public mea culpa on this forum, then offering something in return for the missed out buildplate, is treating your customers very very (note the double very) poorly? how is that taken advantage of customers trust? 

stop overreacting, count to 10 and think about what has happened. you are fully in your right to be disappointed. if this is a deal breaker for you, i'm sure something can be worked out. and reading back, it seems you now want to send everything backa nd get your money back. looks like Sander even wants to help you with that.. I know many many companies who would have just told you to go take a running jump and even after all the attacks on the company you posted they still want to help you. 

your post makes me sad.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2018 at 6:21 PM, neotko said:

Just buy a neoceram glass plate, cut to size and cheaper than UM parts. Also, from the point of view of giving 1 extra glass, it’s a bit of shameful. UM is aiming at pro market and can’t make their promises. I would understand that from e3d and prusa, but UM thinks of itself as ‘pro’ market. Ofc the buyers could make a legal use of the written promises and ask for more money than just a glass price. Just like what happens to any mayor market seller, if they fail they get sued, clear and simple. Ofc that didn’t happen when was the um2 and the promised second extruder upgrade because that wasn’t Pro market, but now?

From the point of view of finding a good replacement I would buy a neoceram glass or vitroceramic glass, no expansion and very sturdy (many shops around the world sell cut to size hightemp glasses). Ofc the issue would be the bed sensor probably? Dunno. 

first of all, there is no rule that says you need to own an S5 to make comments about it, but as you don't own one, other then trying to throw fuel fuel on a fire and trying to cause loads of negative feedback, what's the point of posting all kinds of nastiness on twitter and here that is also incorrect? 

SandervG is a decent person and replies in a nice why, I for one am not nice. 

some corrections to your post and your twitter-complaints

your post on twitter:

"did promise a Aluminum Plate with the expensive UM S5 and now they will get a ‘free extra glass’ without any money back or price going down. Sorry but that shows a lot of what kind of company is. Specially now that they set themselves as PRO market"

and

"The worst part is IMHO that they drop this on the forum, not a public release note, and their solution is very poor and cheap. They did promise an expensive high quality plate and now users get a silly glass"

corrections: 

-yes a buildplate was promised. they tried really hard, it didn't work out. shit happens.  Ultimaker offers a glass plate instead of an alu plate and if you need an additional solution Sander is actively reaching out as demonstrated above. 

-what does this show? that they don't want to release a broken product like many competitors? yes it shows exactly what kind of company this is. a company that only wants to release something if it's good, not if they don't stand behind it. that is exactly what you need if you want to address a pro market. but nice job of trying to spin this super negatively. 

-this forum is pretty public. at least, I just clicked community and then announcements. i did not have to go through a paywall.. if you would have owned an S5, you would have gotten an e-mail. I got one. If you would have been a reseller, you would have been informed. they updated the site. they updated the marketing material. If Audi doesn';t offer a specific option anymore, they don't take out billboards in every city to tell you that color X is no longer offered? did you expect a singing courier with a song-o-gram to tell you the alu plate is not coming? you don't know what you are talking about but yet you blame Ultimaker for not informing the mighty Neotko. 

-yes they promised an Alu Buildplate. Yes they now get a glass plate. it doesn't make me laugh when I use it, so I don't know why it would be silly.

back to your forum post

-they made a promise and couldn't keep it. they are open about it. many companies tell you to take a running jump and offer you nothing. I think UM is handling it nicely. open for discussion, not deleting unhappy responsed, and trying to work out a solution. you are correct, that is not like E3D or Prusa, where they simply turn off promised features, don't deliver on them and then ignore the problem. 

-why would you even suggest that people should take up legal action? you have no stake in this at all, yet you start making suggestions that people can certainly take up legal action for this. let me tell you, any judge worth their salt will laugh you out of the courtroom. because Ultimaker promised something, tried to the best of their abilities, and when they could not keep their promise, they offered fair compensation. perhaps not monetary wise, but they offered another buildplate in exchange for the one not delivered. how the fuck are you going to sue for that? 

-your example of the UM2 has 2 sides. first of all, it's a great example of where they wanted to do something, but in the end couldn't get it to work. the UM3 shows why they couldn't get it to work. so yes, you are right. they overpromised and couldn't deliver on it. from the legal action perspective, once again, a swing and a miss. Ultimaker tried to meet their promise, was open about it, if they would get sued they have all the evidence they need to show how they tried and how they did not succeed, they choose to not release a solution that would suck, and have supported many initiatives from people trying on their own, also helping people that wanted compensation for this. that is why they did not get sued, not because it was not aimed at the pro market. 

enough negativity for today. 

I'm also unhappy about not getting an alu buildplate, but i'd rather take the glass plate and keep using a wonderful printer, then spewing negativity about something that solves nothing.

@korneel I write what I think. And if you want to tak twitter, go twitter. Hugs & kisses

7 hours ago, neotko said:

@korneel I write what I think. And if you want to tak twitter, go twitter. Hugs & kisses

and that is your full right 🙂

just like I write what I think.

• Like 1

Humm. I'm wondering if any one from Innovation at Ultimaker would share their trials and results??? I am probably going to machine an aluminium plate myself to try it on my S5 anyway.

If I do, I'll be glad to share the results with the Forum.

Posted (edited) · Aluminum build plate update

I think you will have issues with bed levelling. The original idea was to have a button on the screen that you select to tell it the alloy plate is installed so it could count for that. But not too sure.

Also you may have some issues trying to machine such a large area and get the correct flatness as it will tend to try and warp on you. The tolerance on stock MIC6 is 0.125mm which is not so ideal. 

But yes. Do try. You might get what you're wanting. 

Edited by Labern

Hi @SandervG   Did I miss the update as to when those of us with an s5 will get the second glass plate?  Not sure if I was supposed to officially request it or make sure my address is on file.

On 2/22/2019 at 5:27 AM, chuckmcgee said:

Hi @SandervG   Did I miss the update as to when those of us with an s5 will get the second glass plate?  Not sure if I was supposed to officially request it or make sure my address is on file.

If you haven't already, you should fill out this form

3 hours ago, SandervG said:

If you haven't already, you should fill out this form

Perfect.  I have done so.  Thank you!

Hello

I live in the uk and I requested a new glass build plate over two months ago for the S5 as aluminium build plate has been cancelled. I was wondering what sort of time frame the glass build plates are being sent out as a second plate would be very handy for me on quick turn arounds for my 3D printing.

thank you

Thank you for information

Hello, when can I expect the glass build  plate? (Registered in Oct 2018 for aluminium plate)

I would also like to say that I am disappointed about the result of the aluminium build plate. 

Many people still assume that it is coming, I am frequently asked about it for the S5.

More information about glass build plate distribution would also be great, I have not had any information since registering recently.

It would be very nice to see different build surfaces appear, comparable to other machines.

I registered our Ultimaker last summer for a build plate, and I got the email saying that we would be receiving the second glass build plate. But we are still waiting on the second build plate. Should I re-submit the form?

Posted (edited) · Aluminum build plate update
    On 12/19/2018 at 4:34 PM, SandervG said:

since we're talking about quite a number of glass plates we aim to have all additional glass plates shipped out before the end of Q1. 

So, you should be getting before May 1st.

Edited by Brulti

So, you should be getting before May 1st.

Q1 ends at 31.03....

You're right, my mistake.

can i leave this here?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DXcQfq6DHkns8ekg6

My vision of what an advanced built plate should look like. hint, hint

@SandervG Any update on when the plates will start to ship out to people?