Ultimaker 2 Dual extrusion

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
Posted · Ultimaker 2 Dual extrusion

No news yet, although Ultimaker did have some sample dual extrusion prints done on a UM2 at the New York 3D PrintShow a couple of weeks ago, and they looked pretty good. They're still refining the design, though, and as far as I've heard there's no definite timeline yet.

Okay thats clear, but they are defiantly working on it and it will become available?

Thats I don't have it right away isn't a disaster for me, but it is important to me that it will come over time.

This because of the future development of 3D printing and to be ready for this future!

Yes, they are working on it, and it will be made available when it is ready. I presume it will be an add-on kit - that's how UM handled upgrades in the past, and the UM2 already had places prepared for the second extruder drive and nozzle.

Bump.

Is this info still good? Are they on track with a July release?

I'm thinking of getting the U2, but I might hold off if I can get the dual extrusion kit in the same order.

i cannot wait to get this feature added

I am also very interested in this!

I have been printing some custom made materials for research projects lately which has attracted some attention.

While single extrusion of these materials is already interesting, the dual extruder kit would open up completely new possibilities.

If there would be a possibility to get a pre-production version of the UM2 dual extrusion kit, it would be very interesting for me.

dual extrusion...dual problems? :???:

dual extrusion...dual problems? :???:

The problems do actually more than double up. In addition of the problems with two extruder you get the issues with swapping extruders.

I'm currently working on the UM1 dual extruder to get things working with volumetric extrusion and firmware retraction without getting a complete mess. So I can imagine what kind of problems Ultimaker is working on for the UM2 dual extrusion.

Me too... Sometimes I get great results, sometimes complete mess...

Hope that the development on UM2 also affects the things with UM1 - at least from Cura and firmware side...

The firmware of UM1 and UM2 work slightly different for the firmware retraction. And they will stay separated in future...

So, I'm currently working on a combination of Marlin improvements together with some gcode tweaking in order to get the same http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/3511-auch-no-dual-extruders-anymore/&do=findComment&comment=28535 with firmware retraction and volumetric flow as I got with standard distance-based extrusion and explicit retraction gcode.

The problems we are facing for dual-extrusion UM2 are mechanical right now, not software. Due to a mis-calculation the teflon gets too hot with 2 hotends in there.

You mean the teflon of one hotend has a problem with radiated heat from the other hotend? What about puttting some ceramics in between? Or are the machined aluminum parts conducting heat between the hotends?

With all due respect, I think they should get the kinks worked out to make the UM 2 into a reliable machine first before even thinking to add dual extrusion. When I read about all the problems I am glad I have two well working UM 1 machines.....

Just sell the dual extrusion kit with two new hot ends that can reach 300°c and have changeable nozzle sizes.

With all due respect, I think they should get the kinks worked out to make the UM 2 into a reliable machine first before even thinking to add dual extrusion. When I read about all the problems I am glad I have two well working UM 1 machines.....

Also, this. Fixing the extrusion problems that we have will most likely also fix problems for dual-extrusion. So that's what we are focusing on, fixing the current issues first.

(And it is the alu plates that are conducting heat. They are acting as radiators, and when there are 2 hot hotends in there they have to radiate for both, which they cannot handle)

(And it is the alu plates that are conducting heat. They are acting as radiators, and when there are 2 hot hotends in there they have to radiate for both, which they cannot handle)

Paint them for a test. In serial production you may (partially) anodize them if it works... the amount of radiated heat should significantly more than double up... but maybe you tried that already?

Hi!

I would like to know if the dual extrusion kit will be able to be totally integrated in the UM2 or if it will need a UM3.

I'm intersting to buy one UM2 but dual extrusion is already a necessity for me (and not for bicolor PLA/ABS!!! only for dissolvable support!!!)

I already have a MakerBot 2x with an experimental dual extrusion but I'm afraid they won't continu to devellop it (because Statasys buyed MakerBot last year and they already sell dual extrusion professionnals 3d printer with owner filament : 1kg of ABS = approximatly 100€).

Ok, I just need to have some information on Ultimaker's strategy concerning dual extrusion...

Thanks for answers!

Hi remycarl

Welcome to the Ultimaker forum!

Would an Ultimaker Original with a dual extruder extension be an alternative for you? It already exists although it is also experimental as the one of your printer.

However, as Ultimaker also thinks that Makerbot is not continuing on the dual extruder, serious efforts are made to equip the UM2 with a dual extruder. But there are still some issues to be solved. So nobody actually can give you a release date. I'm not sure there will be an upgrade kit for single extruder UM2. Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe the dual extrusion machine will be called UM3. Maybe UM2 plus. Or UM2 dual extrusion.

So, if you need dual extrusion right now, the UM Original would be your machine. That's all what's for sure.

Hello!

I was watching UM1 from the start and i saw how it grow ed through time till dual extrusion so i started to save money. Then UM2 came out i was in love. i saw 2 holes in head and i sad that is it and i both it. But now i am afraid due to dual extrusion problems i really need support from second exstruder due to complex objects. i am still waiting for my UM2 to arrive. Should i be afraid that i did wrong decision and spend my money on UM2.

RE Primož

I have my own deduction about. I have a Ultimaker 2 from three days ago, I was looking for a precise printer to make prototypes of jewelry and clothing color to other parts. The print quality is as good as expected, but in most parts of errors occur because of the parts in the air. This is solvable with the second extruder and adding support material.

I'm sure the engineers will draw soon Ultimaker kit for Ultimaker dual extrusion 2, which is already prepared for the second extruder, although in my opinion I'd rather wait to have fully refined.

It would be absurd to sale a Ultimaker 3 when Ultimaker 2 has still much untapped potential. The design and mechanics are good and precise, just a matter of continuing to develop mechanical upgrades, hardware and software, to reach 100% of their potential.

The successful development of Ultimaker 2 will be the best test to get a great Ultimaker 3 also have the support and advice from a Ultimaker community discuss their daily experiences. My advice is that we bring our experience and expose possible upgrades for the Ultimaker team to develop improvements to most of the community.

Excuse my English, I'm Spanish: p

A greeting.