Ultimaker2 Feeder System - Improvements and Ideas

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted · Ultimaker2 Feeder System - Improvements and Ideas

I am currently *trying* to print the arm from Robert's latest feeder. I say "trying", because the large, unsupported radii on the bottom surface are curling up as the print proceeds. The table is actually deflecting visibly as the nozzle passes over them. And... Yes, the nozzle just passed over one of those curled up edges, and knocked the unfinished part loose. The print died at 1.26mm thick.

I'm adding material to the base there to get rid of most of the radii on that side of the part, then I'll try again. Might not look as good without those radii, but I don't expect I'll be spending much time looking at the back of the feeder arm.

Has anybody else had this issue with the feeder details, or am I doing something wrong?

Have you tried with a brim?

What unsupported radii? Are you printing it in some weird orientation?

I had the same problem with this part - one method is to print it on a room-temperature printbed (not heated). (I'm assuming PLA)

Pieces this small never have a chance for the plastic to cool quickly and freeze in place during the print even if you have the fan on high immediately after starting the print. It takes several seconds for the plastic to get solid, and having a heated printbed right under the overhangs makes the problem worse.

So try using gluestick for adhesion, and printing without heating the printbed.

Been wanting to print one these |Robert| feeders for a while now, but the heat, work. a little flooding (during very heavy rain) in my bedroom I have not come around to it. Maybe tonight is a good time to start :-)

Have a nice white roll of PLA just waiting to be used.

Yes, had a brim. And glue stick.

Printed it in the default orientation.

It has radii on all the edges, and as the instructions said not to activate "support", they are unsupported. On my machine they start curling up.

The altered version, without any radii on the bottom edges, is printing just fine so far.

I think I'm cursed. No matter how much I try to make that bloody thing easier to print people always find problems... *sigh*

Speaking as a design engineer, that's fate. I send perfection to the shop, and they come back with complaints. ;)

Weird. Printed it on my um2 without brim or anything, not a single issue.

Make sure fan is at 100% by 1mm Z height. That will greatly help with the curling/lifted/raised overhang.

Hey Robert don't worry. It is not the same for everybody. For me the print came out beautifully. I printed it with settings similar to those you suggested on the YouMagine description (0.1 layer height, 40 speed, 210°) with Ultimaker PLA and 30% infill.

Robert

Hey guys, long time lurker here. I've been following some of the alternate designs here for a replacement filament feeder as I've had a lot of filament stripping and/or underextrusion issues on prints.

I've been working on my own replacement for the filament feeder and I've finally gotten it to the point where it actually works better than the original feeder design. This is more of a proof-of-concept design if anything, so I wouldn't recommend actually trying to assemble the current version. I'm still working on improving the design, but in the meantime I'd like to put what I have out here for critique.

Full developement history, design files, other details, and pictures + video can be found at my post here: https://0x7d.com/2014/07/improved-ultimaker-2-material-extruder/.

Filament Feeder Rev. C

I Want this!

Looks cool (reminds me of lan's design posted a while ago).

I couldn't spot it but is the filament only pushed by the printed gears or is it also pushed with the curled wheel?

Nice work ;)

Hey guys, long time lurker here. I've been following some of the alternate designs here for a replacement filament feeder as I've had a lot of filament stripping and/or underextrusion issues on prints.

I've been working on my own replacement for the filament feeder and I've finally gotten it to the point where it actually works better than the original feeder design. This is more of a proof-of-concept design if anything, so I wouldn't recommend actually trying to assemble the current version. I'm still working on improving the design, but in the meantime I'd like to put what I have out here for critique.

Full developement history, design files, other details, and pictures + video can be found at my post here: https://0x7d.com/2014/07/improved-ultimaker-2-material-extruder/.

Looks great, I love seeing all the derivatives and creative solutions of everyone.

Do you mind sharing it on YouMagine too so that most of the alternatives are centralized?

@ spirit ; looks good... like it that you're sharing your development history!

I spent another day fooling around with it, and I've given up on the MK8 hobbed wheel.

It seems like every time it skips (not infrequently) the filament (Ultimachine White PLA) clogs the grooves, and it starts underextruding. It's also not that easy to clean out even with Robert's feeder, compared to the TrinityLabs version that I had at one time.

Weird. I've been using it for a couple of weeks and don't have much issues. Even when I printed that vase, which - for some reason not clear to me yet - was skipping a lot, the underextrusion remained very limited. And that's only with that clear filament, it seems to behave differently. No problems at all with the rest.

Hi @ All

I've been using for many months, a much more powerful Trinamic motor for the original material feeder of the UM2. With great success and a lot less problems I have experienced that the original UM2-Feeder mechanism is indeed not a gem, but it is not the main problem of the machine.

With alternative engine and original feeder there were only occasional pitting (first layer) of the knurled wheel on softer PLA.

Now I have designed a really great (BIG) universal material feeder specifically for the UM2. This feeder works fine with the original UM2-knurled wheel. The material guide around to the knurled wheel is wear-free and easy interchangeable with a few simple steps, since there will soon be a customized version for extremely soft materials. The pressure is now produced with a larger ball bearings and an equally strong spring.

The entire feeder can be disassembled for maintenance purposes directly to the UM2 back wall. Engine, rear wall, and the feeder base form a stable unit. The engine, now can not tip over backwards just because the feeder for cleaning / maintenance must be disassembled partially.

A rapid filament change unfortunately is not possible, it requires some skill and a tool.

Now, however, extremely reliable printing is possible.

It is also possible to perform filament with a slight curve to the knurled wheel over. And finally, material guides on input side and output side are integrated, as well as a track for the cable strand.

CPv7 (01)

CPv7 (08)

CPv7 (06)

Who wants to try it:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/6505-um2-feeder-new-maybe-better-just-a-bit-different/?p=63095

Oh, and the day of first publication is exactly today on YouMagine.

mnis

Hey Markus,

Just a little feedback. The fact that changing filament is not easy, is a deal breaker for me because I do change filament on every print (almost).