Post your latest print!

IRobertI

Posted (edited) · Post your latest print!

I printed this simple organizer to replace my coffee mug to hold my pens and thumb drives.

the AMTC stands for my department Additive Manufacturing Technology Center. We work with metal powder bed printers. I thought it was time to have some printed office things. (metal is to expensive to use for this type of items)WP_000274.thumb.jpg.ffc7893c1dead93ac5f16985dd713acd.jpg

WP_000274.thumb.jpg.ffc7893c1dead93ac5f16985dd713acd.jpg

Edited by Guest

Posted · Post your latest print!

Heres my gazebo again with some proper lighting. Trees and snow are not 3d printed, btw.

gazeebo.thumb.jpg.d29a426102973eb6b43b3b73987fe666.jpg

This is so gorgeous that I can't show the kids or they will start making demands...

@cloakfiend this print is a return to childhood for me :) thanks and bravo.

Thanks a lot, i've really pushed the printer to try and create everything i've ever wanted and all that was in my head. Just wait till you see what i've done with it.... ;) i hope you will love it. I always wanted to make a little cute town in the snow with lights (which my work mate hooked up for me after some testing with super bright leds as i have no knowledge of electrics at all)! now thanks to the UM2 I have! i just cant believe my boss let me do this (even though am very persuasive!) it was a lot of late nights but this 3d printing bug in me has gone well into overdrive. ill post another pic or two if you want but i don't want to flood this section with a barrage of my work.

• Like 1

Flood away!

OK, @danilius, these pics are for you and your kids, lol! everyone else sorry! i wont post anymore here and just put up the video when its finished.

IMG_1296.thumb.JPG.b06ab1eaa03a493548bf4cc2538d5ff8.JPG

the lights had to go back to the rental place so the rest of these are just the leds illuminating everything.

IMG_1319.thumb.JPG.b135b84380f48f59ecd81f97aa1debd5.JPG

IMG_1321.thumb.JPG.01e8b452b5056c66603d0dd28c508031.JPG

IMG_1322.thumb.JPG.83ff014a15729a32053c2c77eca906ae.JPG

IMG_1320.thumb.JPG.e5603fb6a1335fc23be2e1f5c56ea065.JPG

IMG_1296.thumb.JPG.b06ab1eaa03a493548bf4cc2538d5ff8.JPG

IMG_1319.thumb.JPG.b135b84380f48f59ecd81f97aa1debd5.JPG

IMG_1321.thumb.JPG.01e8b452b5056c66603d0dd28c508031.JPG

IMG_1322.thumb.JPG.83ff014a15729a32053c2c77eca906ae.JPG

IMG_1320.thumb.JPG.e5603fb6a1335fc23be2e1f5c56ea065.JPG

Edited by Guest
    • Like 8

@cloakfiend, your project is really cool, so much love / detail that went into it. Fantastic!

How much amps are required to run all the leds? :)

I believe the LEDs we chose (for colour reasons) were 20mA each and my mate just got a 2A phone charger just incase but overall 1.6Amps i think, here is his box he manually connected, with 15 available for dimming, but we just ended up hooking up some problematic ones there as there were so many and it was easier to access them there.

5a331325a2936_20151021_212254(1).thumb.jpg.22bb30b6092ef7d8c1b5bd75b73eda05.jpg

5a331325a2936_20151021_212254(1).thumb.jpg.22bb30b6092ef7d8c1b5bd75b73eda05.jpg

• Like 1

A face test to see how big i can print without any infill. I think if i went any bigger the gaps around the eyes would become too degraded so this is my limit. 10cmx14cm might go a bit higher, but this only took 5.5m of filament which was the whole point, as i find many people print with infill when its simply not necessary. Usual 1.2mm thickness all round 50mm/s @ 213 and 0.06 and black colorfabb filament for obvious reasons. Im finding these settings almost perfect for anything i want to print.

20151103_095741.thumb.jpg.d0fd0189c20d32aad85380023843fc52.jpg

20151103_095741.thumb.jpg.d0fd0189c20d32aad85380023843fc52.jpg

Edited by Guest
    • Like 2

I really like how ColorFabb Black prints too, I also found 210-214 to be the magic number for good print/flow. I haven't printed anything at 0.06 yet. That must have taken a very, very long time!

I was going for a 9 hr print but ended up scaling it too much and ended up with about 11 hrs. I don't like doing stupid long prints anymore as i am impatient, and 9hrs is my magic number i aim for so, if i kick it off when i get to work its ready by the end of the day! or if i need to tweak something then i just drive back to work and pick it up at the end of the day, this one i started when i left and it was ready by the morning. That is also the beauty of no infill or support material. MUCH MUCH quicker prints, with minimal quality reduction which will occur if the walls are too thin (0.8 is too thin for the flater parts) hence doing 1.2 mm minimum as it allows for the internal overhangs to be poor, but seeing as you wont see them it makes little difference. I find if cura says its going to be 13 hrs, it will really be 11. and 26 hrs really is 23, so ive learn that its always ready before the actual time it says, which is nice. Ill acetone it tonight!

I am not fond of printing an object when I will not be home to check on it from time to time.

But the Ultimaker Original is famous for the noise level. And on those long prints, I have to wear ear plugs at bed time :)

I am not fond of printing an object when I will not be home to check on it from time to time.

But the Ultimaker Original is famous for the noise level.  And on those long prints, I have to wear ear plugs at bed time :)

Have you ever tried to de-couple the feeder from the frame?

No... I've left it alone since it is producing good, quality prints at the expense of some annoying harmonics :)

Lol, I used to do the whole checkin up routine, but it got a bit silly like in the mp3 dial-up days when i used to watch them for 20mins downloading one by one on napster. Now i only watch the first 1 or 2 layers go down listening out for the clicking sound. If i don't get it then goodnight and see you in the morning. I have only ever come back to 1 print that had failed and it was my fault on the modelling side due to no internal supporting structure which collapsed due to the abnormal shapes because i love to print things with no infill it was too thin at the base. I just reprinted the top and glued it on. it was a fountain but its all good now. So it doesn't really count as a failed print in my book because I used it.

Thats why a UM camera would be nice and would most likely set a trend amongst all other 3D printers as watching stuff print and automatically taking timelapse would be a massive improvement in my opinion for those who cant be bothered buying yet more stuff like gopros with different cases and printing addons. Small cams are cheap and this should all be very easily done in the right hands, possibly writing to either the cloud on the fly or onto another SD card in the machine or even the same one if theres room. (would need to ship with a bigger card than 4GB).

Make the cloud and option but locally storing the files would be just as good if not better. Just in case, i want the files locally to whip the card out slap it in my comp and start editing.

Edited by Guest

No...   I've left it alone since it is producing good, quality prints at the expense of some annoying harmonics  :)

It wont affect print quality at all. Just try unhooking it from the frame and holding it in your hand while you're printing sometime. I think you'll change your mind real quick like ;)

My worry is twisting or doing anything to anger the Bowden tube!

My worry is twisting or doing anything to anger the Bowden tube!

If 2 very talented and experienced people suggest a solution like @Dim3nsioneer and @IRobertI did, then I would trust them and give it a go :)

If you don't want to touch anything cut some foam and insert it between the extruder wood/assembly/woodbox. Anything that cuts the vibrations from reaching the box helps.

• Like 1