A different multi-extrusion approach - UM tool / printhead changer

Posted · A different multi-extrusion approach - UM tool / printhead changer

I do have a query though. With my setup the front portion of the machine lies in unprintable territory. How do I account for this in Cura so that my models sit in the right relative place when I prepare prints? I understand I can adjust the print area I the Y direction, but how does it adjust it? Will it make it smaller based on the centre line of the x axis, or ill it just trim it off the front?

It would be nice if I was able to set the extruder 1 offset from the, for example, X gantry centre line and Y gantry centreline......and for cura to work out the printable area from that (and based on the second extruder offsets from the first).

For the first issue: I had a similar problem with my custom heat bed on the UMO. I solved it by setting the front/left coordinate to numbers both negative in Marlin. The only thing you have to do in legacy Cura is to decrease the size of the build platform.

Marlin is also the place where you can specify an offset for the first extruder. If you specify both offsets in Marlin, you have to set the offset for the second extruder in legacy Cura to zero.

• Replies 1.3k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Niceeee. You could also drill letters with awesome accuracy as second characters. Superb Foehnsturm!

Posted (edited) · A different multi-extrusion approach - UM tool / printhead changer

image.thumb.jpg.95364e1c43781fce3863bd2362906bf3.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.cb57b5eff049942425b27a4ce3f5cc72.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.668e4b5ebf453f13b322e355c1f784a0.jpg

Height adjust works well. Just need to wire up the second head and test now. Also need to tweak the hangers so that the heads sit further to the side, too lazy to adjust limits to compensate and don't want to lose my print area!

image.thumb.jpg.95364e1c43781fce3863bd2362906bf3.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.cb57b5eff049942425b27a4ce3f5cc72.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.668e4b5ebf453f13b322e355c1f784a0.jpg

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Posted (edited) · A different multi-extrusion approach - UM tool / printhead changer

Was not satisfied with the design nor the material, made 2 cuts in the design to allow it to flex more, and switched from XT to ABS. Although I had zero experience with ABS it went very well.

A.jpg.8db325d1db3bd8f757ab1e873066f39e.jpgB.jpg.4315c997143061822e70017314df7b60.jpg

ABS printed at 250/100, 35 speed, 0.1 layer, closed front only, "cubestick" glue (sticks really good, almost to good as it's a pain to get the item of the glas..)

A.jpg.8db325d1db3bd8f757ab1e873066f39e.jpg

B.jpg.4315c997143061822e70017314df7b60.jpg

Edited by Guest

"And now for something completely different."

Oh my gawd, the possibilities are endless!

Ultiarjan, was that Printed with simplify3d? Have you managed to properly set your print area and boundaries in that program? I wish I had as much luck printing abs...I always get it lifting off the bed.

Macua what problem do you have to set the boundaries? I mean you can't makr 'black' areas for the printer not to go to on any slicer (as far as I know) if that's what you want. On my works I just have a grid of the printing area for dual extruders and I just design the stuff knowing where can itnbe printed. I don't know if the new cura the 'autocenter' can be removed but on s3d the program loads the stls I make from rhino exactly on the same x/y/z so I just prepare the objects knowing where can or can't be printed.

Yea that's what I was hoping for. For standard umo, you can't place object too close to edges, as cura won't allow it. It knows the boundaries with reference to nozzle position. I'd like to do the same for this custom setup. Tell it that the front 40mm of bed are not part of printable area.

I'll just try changing the print bed size in cura, see what that does. Changing the home coordinates to negative i understand now, but not sure how to do it.

Ultiarjan, was that Printed with simplify3d? Have you managed to properly set your print area and boundaries in that program? I wish I had as much luck printing abs...I always get it lifting off the bed.

I'm roughly guessing my usable bedsize.

I should probably look into this again someday... I made a screenprint of the S3D bed and drew boundary lines on it... but I seem to have thrown it away cleaning up my desk ...

image.thumb.jpg.9f681dfd4357660a173a3cc3757d0062.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.51c76d995c13d10e4edf4fddf7ebd70e.jpg

I redigned the hangers and made them smaller, full print area is now useable as the parked heads no longer interfere with the gantry. Also added a support/stiffener. Happy with this design now...although when I was printing it for the first time in a long time I got a blockage and under extrusion. Fixed now though...On to the dual extrusion tests!

image.thumb.jpg.9f681dfd4357660a173a3cc3757d0062.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.51c76d995c13d10e4edf4fddf7ebd70e.jpg

First print! Calibration looks pretty good, should have printed at 0.1 really, 0.2 a bit coarse for such a small print. More challenging print coming tomorrow. Mechanism works very well.

image.thumb.jpg.d1fc6df96b77ed7df2e7514ab0442317.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.d1fc6df96b77ed7df2e7514ab0442317.jpg

• Like 3

The print looks like the heads need some x/y fine tuning, but promising!

Yup thats what the print is for. Adjusted already, on to a real print today.

So here is the first print. Excuse the missing left hand, the supper fell over at the beginning. This was printed with no wipe and prime tower, and no ooze shield. All I have done is remove the stringing. Pretty happy, although think would get far better results with the tower. Printed at 0.15, 60mm/s, no infill.

image.thumb.jpg.53106e39c96b7a5c3e14f61102d60163.jpg

And the finished machine:

image.thumb.jpg.f8949d16ee0be14b2e4f155a413a873e.jpg

To do:

Sort the print area issue out

Re print small cartridge in fine resolution for better pickup accuracy.

image.thumb.jpg.53106e39c96b7a5c3e14f61102d60163.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.f8949d16ee0be14b2e4f155a413a873e.jpg

Edited by Guest
    • Like 5

Looks great, good job!

I'm getting tired of the springs and I'm redesigning the head holder (the upper part) to remove the big m3 70mm screws and make the head adjustment much easier, also I wan't the possibilities of filament leak because the Hot end isolator coupler looses pressure and it 'tilts' if you adjust too light and filament goes through the peek down to the head (and it's a mess to clean).

So I'm doing this:

5a330f99df0bd_Capturadepantalla2015-07-19alas18_22_46.thumb.png.dfd30a9a900655240d36c7eac8d18427.png

Also I'm going to print it on Formfutura Carbonfil, that can go to 85C without problems and not only it's very light it's really hard. Also it's great because you can print it without the bed on.

5a330f99df0bd_Capturadepantalla2015-07-19alas18_22_46.thumb.png.dfd30a9a900655240d36c7eac8d18427.png

Neotko the adjustment will be Carried out by loosening the 4 bolts?

The material sounds interesting, looking forward to seeing the results. Looks like you are using 3 magnets? 3mm ones? And what about the locations cones, are you not using those?

Oh indeed the cones. I leave them hiden. It's the same yes. The magnets are the same ones. They are 1kilo force each, that I didn't touch since it works.

Indeed the idea it's to have 4 m3 5mm or 1mm to hold the lower part to the upper. Yesterday night printed the beta and seems to work so I'll print the new head this week and run some tests. Also I want to install the stainless steel fan cap.

Anyway I still have 2 umo+ to assemble so I might move slow this summer :D

Edited by Guest

Two more!? What for?

Two more!? What for?

I'm closing a deal and if everything goes right I'll be printing 24/7 for a long time. Also I'm preparing a shop to sell some designed stuff. That's why lately I have not touch the design, but I need a better two extruder setup, and the leaks that can happen with the springs are a no-no.

I'm preparing a third version of my design, redesigning almost everything, but this one I want to make it on laser cut wood or print it on stainless steel, I did check some numbers and isn't super expensive, a main changer and 2 heads would cost around 80€ printed. Anyway that will take more sundays since it's the only day left for designs.

Wow sounds interesting, share the details when you can.

For any of you guys who would like a e3d v6 versions, which I now know works, the stl files are all here: https://www.youmagine.com/designs/e3d-v6-modular-print-system-magnetic-final

A brief description with gcode etc. Ill share some more pics of prints as they happen. If anyone else figures out the print area, and can give me some instructions please do!

• Like 1

"And now for something completely different."

What tip for the Merlin are you using there?

Also, I have found that the Merlin tip is very sensitive to crossflow fan airflow during the first millimeter of the print. Have you noticed this and if so, what work around have you used.

Edited by Guest