Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
maht

Now available: Ultimaker Cura 3.6 | Stable

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,

 

Thanks for all your feedback during the 3.6 beta period. Today the stable release of Cura 3.6 will become available on Ultimaker.com at approximately 11am (GMT+1)

 

Below are some of the highlights of this release:

 

Print core CC Red profile. You can now select our new wear-resistant print core CC Red 0.6 when the Ultimaker S5 profile is active. This print core is optimized for use with abrasive materials and composites, and opens up a range of industrial applications.

 

CC-core.jpg

 

Use it in combination with...

 

The Marketplace. If you haven’t used it before, the Marketplace (formerly the Toolbox) is a platform to add plugins and download material profiles configured and optimized by leading manufacturers. Download profiles for third-party materials, and profiles will sync to your Ultimaker S5 through Wi-Fi in the background when connected to that printer (note that your printer will need firmware 5.1 for this to work). This feature will also work for the UM3 when 5.1 is available (soon!)

 

Application-hero-embargo.jpg

 

Gyroid infill. @smartavionics has contributed this fascinating new infill pattern. Gyroid infill alternates with every layer to distribute strength equally in every direction, while keeping print duration and material use to a minimum.

 

Gyroid-infill.jpg

 

You can find a more detailed overview of 3.6 in my blog and in the release notes.

 

Download Ultimaker Cura 3.6 here.

 

All feedback is welcome! Put it all in this thread.

 

We are attending Formnext in Frankfurt this week (booth C20 Hall 3.1), so if anyone is in the area please come and say hi!

Edited by maht
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, hugz said:

the plugins RetractWhileCombing and ScalableExtraPrime dont work anymore..

 

RetractWhileCombing was developed for legacy Cura and is not compatible with current Cura versions anymore.

Meanwhile additional combing options made that old functionality obsolete for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is compatible with the UM3/E, you're only going to wear your feeder, and maybe the bowden tubes, faster if you use a lot of abrasive materials, but you can find alternatives feeder (bondtech) that can be installed on the UM3 and are made to withstand abrasive materials.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Brulti said:

It is compatible with the UM3/E, you're only going to wear your feeder, and maybe the bowden tubes, faster if you use a lot of abrasive materials, but you can find alternatives feeder (bondtech) that can be installed on the UM3 and are made to withstand abrasive materials.

The problem is how to configure Cura to use it, there is no way of setting a 0.6mm nozzle size / print core in current versions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't tested the latest release yet (3.6) but it should have profiles for the Ruby core in it. Else, you can easily create your own setting by changing the Line Width to 0.55 or 0.6 directly in Cura. And you'll probably have to print hotter to account for the higher volume of material coming out of the printhead compared to a 0.4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dim3nsioneer said:

 

RetractWhileCombing was developed for legacy Cura and is not compatible with current Cura versions anymore.

Meanwhile additional combing options made that old functionality obsolete for me.

thanks for your statement. a bummer! since the plugin was so much better than the "no skin combing mode". is there any chance for a remake? would be much aprechiated..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@DBlok Profiles for printers outside UM brand come from the community, UM do not make nor maintain those profiles. If you want to see the Craftbot plus into Cura, you can submit the specs and profile to the UM team, or find someone who created a custom profile for that printer and have them submit it for inclusion in a future release.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hugz said:

thanks for your statement. a bummer! since the plugin was so much better than the "no skin combing mode". is there any chance for a remake? would be much aprechiated..

I'm not sure if you've tried it, but I thought there were improvements in the combing in 3.5.1. Depending how far back you got that impression, it may be worth trying the feature again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

about this version of CURA, the override option is not working on my computer, I click the override button, the warning popup asking if accept, I click ok, and nothing changed. The print is still not starting, requires actions and the override button still exists. I  hv to do it on CURA CONNECT in browser, is it me or anyone else hving the same issue?

 

And when i created a custom brand of material, it requires me to override settings every time I send print. Is this normal? because when I change (third party)filament i can only choose e.g. Generic PLA, is it not?

Edited by ultradryan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AbeFM said:

I'm not sure if you've tried it, but I thought there were improvements in the combing in 3.5.1. Depending how far back you got that impression, it may be worth trying the feature again.

Hi i noticed the improvements yes. but i cant controll the z hop as i could in the plugin. I used to enable the z hop only for certain layers (mostly first and last). with cura its go or die.. do you anderstand what i mean?

thx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello

Cura 3.6 is unusable on a macbook air 2011 I5 1.7Ghz 4GB RAM 256GBSSD with mac os high sierra just freshly installed.
In Solid view if I don't do anyting CPU stays at 3-4%. As I click anywhere it jumps @150% making any selection/option really slow.
In layer view once the stl is sliced CPU is 120% all the time.

This was also for cura 3.5.x

 

In 3.4 I think it was better

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ultradryan said:

 

about this version of CURA, the override option is not working on my computer, I click the override button, the warning popup asking if accept, I click ok, and nothing changed. The print is still not starting, requires actions and the override button still exists. I  hv to do it on CURA CONNECT in browser, is it me or anyone else hving the same issue?

 

And when i created a custom brand of material, it requires me to override settings every time I send print. Is this normal? because when I change (third party)filament i can only choose e.g. Generic PLA, is it not?

 

I will assume that you mean that the override option is not working on your printer, not on the computer.

 

That is normal behavior as far as I'm aware. The override is done via CURA Connect in the browser, trying to do it via the printer doesn't works despite the printer screen giving you the option to do it.

 

Same with custom materials since they exist only in Cura and not on the printer, thus you cannot select them on the printer itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, mickletown said:

The gyroid infill does not appear to be working on my download. Any ideas on how I should get it operational?

 

Steve

It is working for me. I first made the mistake of setting the infill pattern on the wrong extruder, though. Perhaps you made the same mistake.

I'd like to add that the gyroid infill has some very interesting properties.

- The gyroid infill acts like a spring. The force and amount of compression in mm seem to be related quite linearly.
- The gyroid pattern splits the infill space into just two regions. Every hollow space is connected to half of the other hollow spaces. This makes it really easy if you want to fill the print in post-processing to give it more weight and to make it solid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The last version allowed the Zig Zag support to be angled so roofs etc can be supported more effectively. I did download 3.6 but then was alarmed when I saw this appeared to be missing from 3.6. I was so alarmed that I went back and downloaded the previous version and again re-installed it. Being able to angle the support is a terrific idea. In fact I had real trouble with roofs until this feature was introduced. Please don't drop it. I found it personally extremely effective. It is effective in the case where the roof filament runs in parallel to the support and therefore the roof filaments aren't supported. The only way to support roof effectively before this was to put in more robust support but it would then be extremely difficult to remove. I have been able to make some great horizontal roofs very easily and the support material is a doddle to remove. Honestly I hope you don't intend to drop it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Henri_Lens said:

The last version allowed the Zig Zag support to be angled so roofs etc can be supported more effectively. I did download 3.6 but then was alarmed when I saw this appeared to be missing from 3.6.

Please snooze your alarm, or shut it down completely.

 

Support Infill Line Direction is still an option in Cura 3.6. Perhaps it was not visible because you didn't enable support.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Brulti said:

 

I will assume that you mean that the override option is not working on your printer, not on the computer.

 

That is normal behavior as far as I'm aware. The override is done via CURA Connect in the browser, trying to do it via the printer doesn't works despite the printer screen giving you the option to do it.

 

Same with custom materials since they exist only in Cura and not on the printer, thus you cannot select them on the printer itself.

 

ah about the override option.

It's new feature in CURA 3.6.0 the software on computer, not the printer, it's under the Monitor tab.

When a print is sent and requires action to override, there's an [override] button on the bottom left corner of the queued item.

The idea is so that ppl dont hv to open the browser every time to override it CURA Connects i guess.

I think it's new becuz i didn't see this in CURA 3.5.

When i clicked the button, there's a pop-up window asked to confirm override and start print anyway, I click YES then nothing happen.

 

I however can do the same using CURA Connects in browser on the other hand.

 

Just curious if the new feature just not working on my computers or not....?

Edited by ultradryan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@maht I have been using CURA for quite some time and would like to give feedback primarily on the print one at a time function.

 

I understand that you guys are trying to optimize the print one at a time function for the Ultimaker, but other 3D printers, especially those that have a moving Y plate can do much more if this function is given more options and less boundaries and safety offsets.

 

I own a CR-10 that has a movable Y and what I (used to in 3.1.0) do is to set the first model to print on the front left corner of the plate and arrange the subsequent models backwards and right. This way, I can pack in tall models without having the gantry or the print head touch the previous ones. To unlock the full capabilities of the print one at a time function, CURA should:

 

1. Allow users to choose and change the print order easily.

2. Ignore gantry height option (for printers that have a movable Y)

3. CURA apparently does not allow the print head shadow to touch/exceed the printing limits. As long as the actual model is within the printing limits, CURA should allow it to print.

4. Print head shadows should also be allowed to overlap each other. If the prints are arranged properly, this should not be an issue.

 

One more change I would like to suggest would be to reinstate the filament diameter option in the sidebar. This will allow users to easily adjust flow if a particular spool of filament is over or under spec. Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, pieri70 said:

Hello

Cura 3.6 is unusable on a macbook air 2011 I5 1.7Ghz 4GB RAM 256GBSSD with mac os high sierra just freshly installed.
In Solid view if I don't do anyting CPU stays at 3-4%. As I click anywhere it jumps @150% making any selection/option really slow.
In layer view once the stl is sliced CPU is 120% all the time.

This was also for cura 3.5.x

 

In 3.4 I think it was better

 

Similar for me. On my 2018 MacBook Pro it takes about 2...3 minutes to start up, using 100% CPU. During this time it displays "updating configuration", before it eventually shows the GUI and becomes responsible. This behavior is reproducible. I guess Cura 3.6 needs some kind of serious tuning 😉

 

Btw., I like the Gyroid infill!

 

 

1300232686_Bildschirmfoto2018-11-15um23_41_25.thumb.png.701f8bd8217023ece1242c2f3d3d6345.png

 

1259988939_Bildschirmfoto2018-11-15um23_41_44.thumb.png.c5f2e52be295b0c5600935c847e1a17a.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Our picks

    • How to 3D print with reinforced engineering materials
      Ultimaker is hosting a webinar where we explain how you can achieve and maintain a high print success rate using these new reinforced engineering materials. Learn from Ultimaker's Product Manager of Materials and top chemical engineer Bart van As how you can take your 3D printing to that next level.
      • 0 replies
    • "Back To The Future" using Generative Design & Investment Casting
      Designing for light-weight parts is becoming more important, and I’m a firm believer in the need to produce lighter weight, less over-engineered parts for the future. This is for sustainability reasons because we need to be using less raw materials and, in things like transportation, it impacts the energy usage of the product during it’s service life.
        • Like
      • 12 replies
×

Important Information

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community of 3D printing experts. Visit the following links to read more about our Terms of Use or our Privacy Policy. Thank you!