Introducing: Ultimaker firmware 6.1.1 (with Static IP!)

SandervG

Posted · Introducing: Ultimaker firmware 6.1.1 (with Static IP!)

With firmware 6.1.1 we’re bringing static IP, an upgraded OS and more features to all S-line printers. Let’s dive right into it! 

Network and security improvements. 

Upgraded operating system
Since the release of firmware 6.0, Ultimaker S-line 3D printers have been upgraded from the Linux Debian Jessie distribution to Linux Debian Buster distribution. This new OS comes with some security improvements and we believe it elevates our existing firmware to be more future-proof and allowing for a more secure 3D print environment. 

Important: Due to the upgrade in OS, it is important to note that from firmware 6.0 onward, it is not possible to downgrade back to 5.8 or an earlier firmware version. 

Firewall
A network firewall increases your 3D printer’s security by allowing only cloud traffic from the Ultimaker Digital Factory, and blocking uncontrolled access via the local network. When activated, your printer will only be able to accessed via Ultimaker Digital Factory and USB, and no longer via IP addresses in a browser. This also means that your 3D printer will not sync with new material profiles you’ve added via Ultimaker Cura. If you are an Ultimaker Essentials customer, the admin will be able to control firewall functionality. Otherwise, you will be able to toggle it on/off via the printer interface. 

1-firewall.gif?f=center&fm=webp&w=1080

USB network setup (plus static IP addresses!)
Network settings (Wi-Fi and Ethernet) can now be set up via a USB stick by using an ultimaker_network.config file. This means among others, you will be able to configure static IP addresses and Wi-Fi credentials. A highly demanded feature, and we’re really happy that we can finally offer this to you. More information can be found here.

1-setupnetworkviausb_loop.gif?f=center&f

Improved UI for (non-NFC) materials
We’re also really excited about the updates we’re making to the ‘Choose Material Type’ menus on your Ultimaker. Previously, you could only choose from material types. With firmware 6.1.1 you will be able to choose materials by brand, type and color; just like in Ultimaker Cura. This applies to Ultimaker materials, Marketplace materials and other third-party materials you may have created in Ultimaker Cura. 

1-materialselection.gif?f=center&fm=webp

Coming up! 

‘Latest’ and ‘Stable’ release channels. 
While firmware 6.1.1 is laying the groundwork, with the next firmware (6.2) we are introducing two firmware release channels; Latest and Stable. These channels allow you to choose how often you want to update your 3D printer’s firmware. So how does this work?

• Latest: If you opt in to latest you will receive a notification as soon as new firmware becomes available, ensuring that you always benefit from the latest features. New firmware will be released approximately two times per quarter. 
  • Stable: If you prefer stability and continuity over the latest possible features, the ‘Stable’ channel might be for you. Stable firmware versions will only contain features which have been thoroughly used and tested by a wide audience. Stable firmware will be released approximately four times per year. 

When firmware 6.2 is released, you will be able to change your preference to ‘Latest’ or ‘Stable’. 

All in all, a lot of improvements in firmware 6.1! We hope you are as excited about them as we are. Let us know what you think in the comments!

Read more release notes here

Ready to update your firmware to 6.1.1? Download instructions are here!

Updated to reflect hotfix 6.1.1. 

• Like 6

"Improved UI for (non-NFC) materials
We’re also really excited about the updates we’re making to the ‘Choose Material Type’ menus on your Ultimaker. Previously, you could only choose from material types. With firmware 6.1 you will be able to choose materials by brand, type and color; just like in Ultimaker Cura. This applies to Ultimaker materials, Marketplace materials and other third-party materials you may have created in Ultimaker Cura. "

Thank You!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, kennybuntinx said:

WTF ! I knew I shouldn't have done the upgrade . My S5 Bricked after the upgrade with the Ultimaker Logo on top of it .

What can I do ?

Capture.JPG

If it's still on this screen for more than 20 minutes, try to reboot it. Upgrading specially with a Material Station can sometimes take longer because it might also upgrade the firmware of the material station. What was the version you upgraded from?

2 minutes ago, kennybuntinx said:

I came from 5.1.8 . It proposed to upgrade on the printer itself - no download myself .

Just out of warranty .... printer of 5K... pfft

Do you mean 5.8.1? Or was it really 5.1.8?

Posted (edited) · Introducing: Ultimaker firmware 6.1.1 (with Static IP!)

I also tried the upgrade and my S5 appears bricked too i was running the latest too. what can i do..It better move past this screen?

I was running um-update-5.8.2 

Please help me

Capture15.jpg

Edited by Navin2020

Posted (edited) · Introducing: Ultimaker firmware 6.1.1 (with Static IP!)

If a Pro Bundle was stuck on the Ultimaker screen, it has been a good strategy in the past to restart the Pro Bundle without the Material Station being connected, i.e. as standalone S5 and then perform a reset of the printer settings in that state before reconnecting the Material Station.

Edited by Dim3nsioneer

Can i still do this ..I dont think it will get past this screen? How can a firmware be released and its this buggy. I wish i never bought the machine. It is so expense and give nothing but headache 😞

• Like 1

There is an unbricking procedure.  Contact your reseller for the S5 unbricking procedure.  I know someone who bricked his S5 today with the upgrade and has already unbricked it with the procedure and is already good to go.

I will phone them tomorrow but i have no warranty as i bought the product on ebay and even thou it is brand new and first user - void warranty

yeah - it simply sucks ... Every firmware there are so much issues with it 

• Like 1

did u fix it?

upgraded my S3 tonight.. and it seems bricked.. been an hour, tried rebooting, nothing

Same Problem here. UM S5 bricked after Update. No restart helped after It stuck in Ultimaker screen. Updated it over the air. If there is an unbrick procedure, please provide it here. In this Covid-19 Situation it is even more complicated to get fast help. I'm in a production and need fast help. 

5000€ printer and such a bad update policy maked you think if a better china printer would be the better solution. Because you can up and downgrade your Firmware like you want. 

• Like 1

Hello, thank you for all the comments here. I'm sure we'll be able to help all of you. A procedure exists that allows you to recover your printer when it stalls during the installation of new firmware, hopefully this takes some worries away. This is available both in and out of warranty. 

• Like 2

I want to give also a positive feedback. Just upgraded my S5 R1 with AirManager from 5.8.1 to 6.1 from USB and it took about 10 minutes and was working fine without any problems.

• Like 1

And also upgraded the S3, now via internet, without problems. I have the feeling the upgrade was a little bit faster on the S3.

• Like 1

Hi, I want to recommend everyone who had an issue with updating the firmware to create a ticket via this link. Our support engineers are ready for you with instructions on how to recover your Ultimaker. Please make sure to specify in your ticket what printer you have; Ultimaker S3, Ultimaker S5 R1 (has a robot on the side), or Ultimaker S5 R2 (has a U on the side), with or without a material station/air manager or an Ultimaker S5 Pro Bundle. 

We'll get back with you as soon as possible. If you have any questions about this, feel free to send me a DM. Hope you all have a great day, thank you for your time. 

• Like 2

i put in a ticket, i hope you all have a fast way to let us all know, my printer runs non stop and now i am down..

i can report, the recovery procedure has worked, my S3 is back up and running

• Like 3

2 hours ago, davidbogle said:

i put in a ticket, i hope you all have a fast way to let us all know, my printer runs non stop and now i am down..

That is good to hear, thank you for following that route. If I understand it correctly, your issues have been resolved and your printer is now successfully updated to 6.1 

Again our apologies for the inconvenience and we're happy we've been able to help you on such a short notice. Have a great day! 

2 hours ago, SandervG said:

That is good to hear, thank you for following that route. If I understand it correctly, your issues have been resolved and your printer is now successfully updated to 6.1 

Again our apologies for the inconvenience and we're happy we've been able to help you on such a short notice. Have a great day! 

I need assistance too..I contacted my distributer here in the UK and they are asking me to pay to send my printer to them to flash via post for a problem caused by early release of Ultimaker firmware. I do not understand why i should burden the cost as it is not my fault (i did not cause this crash) so i hope there is a solution your link can provide me without having to send my printer? I need it operational for obvious reasons

Hi together 🙂

Am I right, that I can disable the Firewall in order to have the full local network functions?

Thanks a lot 🙂