Custom heater block to fit E3D nozzle on Ultimaker 2 ("The Olsson Block")

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Custom heater block to fit E3D nozzle on Ultimaker 2 ("The Olsson Block")

... I added a bit of Kapton tape on the inside where the nozzle is closest to the fan shroud.

... no Kapton tape here ... I used a small piece (17mm x 35mm) of a ... "beer can", glued with Loctite on the the bottom where the hot-end is. :)

Ah ... printed with simple ESUN PLA and ... no problems also after many hours print ;)

Guglielmo

• 2 weeks later...
    Posted · Custom heater block to fit E3D nozzle on Ultimaker 2 ("The Olsson Block")

Example of air velocity of original design with 45deg fan mount

Impressive! To be fair, though, the metal fan mount that comes with the UM2 isn't very efficient. It has large pockets where air gets trapped and gaps where air escapes...

Example of air velocity of original design with 45deg fan mount

Impressive! To be fair, though, the metal fan mount that comes with the UM2 isn't very efficient. It has large pockets where air gets trapped and gaps where air escapes...

This is true.

As the fans cant really compress the air they don't like pushing against anything. Having a flat surface so close isn't ideal and most 3d printed shrouds with 45deg fan mount have a flat surface very close.. Also you will notice that the fans are a lot quieter when horizontal as there is no side loading.

• Like 1

The idea of interchangeable nozzle for UM2 is great, however, I was not able to check out its realization.

On Sept, 21 I have ordered the thing at http://www.3dsolex.com and have paid for it using paypal. Even thought I have checked the box "tracked shipment" and paid for it some extra money, I have not received the shipment, nor any proof the shipment have been ever sent.

Once I received an answer from some Carl Beck :

DeAr Vladimir! I am in Hong Kong. I am on oslo Friday 25. Them send u tracking!!

Thank you!

But ever since I have just been ignored.

No custom heater block, no money, no answer.

Email Carl one more time. He's very busy and was in Hong Kong for a while and the people he left behind running the store may have lost your order. But he's back and your email is probably buried. So just email him one more time. He's very kind to his customers - for example often offering a free extra nozzle as an apology.

Did it. This time got the answer right away. Carl said that the box has been send, but tracking is not available for some reasons. I clearly understand that international shipment outside EU may take some unreasonable time, but my experience is, that with companies like DHL, FedEx, or EMS it only takes few days. It took me more time to get to the customs to clear the Z-Unlimited pack, then it took to the Z-unlimited to travel all the way from Utrecht to Moscow.

Hi @Fablabmoscow, could you keep us up to date about your experience with the Olsson Block and also the Z-Unlimited?

I am very curious to hear what you are going to make and what the experiences are from you and others who see the Z-Unlimited and its possibilities.

Happy to hear the shipping difficulties are solved :)

Hi @Fablabmoscow, could you keep us up to date about your experience with the Olsson Block and also the Z-Unlimited?

Sure!

Yesterday I got the Olsson Block at the post office (there it was lost, so I blamed Carl with no reason.. His only fault was he didn't sent me a tracking number),  so on Monday I will try to install it my upside-down UM2.

First impression of Unlimited Z is that it works surpriselly good (even though I have not completed a single print, but it is a problem caused by extrusion,  not the upgrade). I have lots of expectations regarding  . 8 mm nozzle, if it will allow to print single wall vases with layer thickness of 0.5 mm, then the unlimited z opens a whole new world.

1445252003589-753212444.thumb.jpg.e6c74bc39773078d1e26049ae9e5b340.jpg

First tests suggest that Olsson Block and a big hole nozzle is a must have add-on to play with z unlimited. Printing with 0.8 mm nozzle, 0.4 mm layer thickness, 40 mm/sec. Two hours for a 30 cm tall vase.

1445252003589-753212444.thumb.jpg.e6c74bc39773078d1e26049ae9e5b340.jpg

• Like 5

Indeed it must be usefull for unlimited heights :)

Try the 1mm nozzle if you have it, it's also a lot of fun, with it you can also print 0.5mm layers

Try the 1mm nozzle if you have it, it's also a lot of fun, with it you can also print 0.5mm layers

Yes, I got one 1.0mm nozzle, so more fun is coming!

• Like 1

Yes, I got one 1.0mm nozzle, so more fun is coming!

1.0 mm nozzle made me think of heater upgrade, but yet I love it.collage_20151022115838848.thumb.jpg.bf09c9ef659584b929dec7f2953a768b.jpg

Flexible filament, 0,4 mm layer, good detailes and smooth extrusion.

collage_20151022115838848.thumb.jpg.bf09c9ef659584b929dec7f2953a768b.jpg

• Like 3

What filament is this? Is it also elastic? Very cool :)

Posted (edited) · Custom heater block to fit E3D nozzle on Ultimaker 2 ("The Olsson Block")

Same as Sanderv,  What filament and what settings were you using it looks great

Edited by Guest

is the picture upside down or is the UM2 inverted ????

is the picture upside down or is the UM2 inverted ????

It's inverted using Z unlimited

• Like 2

Posted (edited) · Custom heater block to fit E3D nozzle on Ultimaker 2 ("The Olsson Block")

Looks like a sex toy to me.. ok, blame me.. I said it first!

Looks like a good one at that too..

Edited by Guest

Looks like a sex toy to me.. ok, blame me.. I said it first!

Looks like a good one at that too..

Well.... since I saw this "thing" as a graduation project from the dutch design academy you can make me believe anything is a sex toy :)

http://studiocremaster.com/The-Satyr

It is kinda odd how he is caressing the Satyr in that last picture ;)

Thought I would share my fan mount for the Olsson block. I was getting temp errors with the stock fan mount. I printed mine out of ColorFabb XT-CF20 and its been working great. I also changed my "Fan full on at height" to 2.0mm which helped a lot.

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/um2-olsson-block-fan-mount

56339c924cf59.jpg

56339c90b13cc.jpg

5630e209f1c1a.jpg

5630e232731b3.jpg

Edited by Guest
    • Like 4

What filament is this? Is it also elastic? Very cool :)

This is a 'flex' from Russian brand "REC", and I have no clue what it is made off. Printing temperature is about 240°C, the rest is just like for PLA.

And yes, it's elastic.

Installed Olsen block yesterday. Printed this fan shroud in ColorFabb XT-CF20 tonight using settings listed on YM.

It was so stuck to the bed (heated with glue) that it snapped off one of the mounting tabs (long ways) and also snapped somewhere in the middle between layers. No sign of underextrusion...Printed at 250C.

Not real happy with the OB or CF20 so far. It did print pretty clean though. I think PLA is a lot tougher. I'm wondering if the temperature is correct with the OB compared to the stock block.

Got heater errors with OB and .8 nozzle. Turned fans down and walls just melted. Fans on 100% and I get heater errors. Stock .4 nozzle OK - no errors. This is why I printed this shroud.

I have a feeling this needs a bigger heater now. 19v is like a sick joke. 12 or 24v pick one...19v? C'mon...I don't think there are any higher watt heaters at this voltage - Is there? I'd rather not have to do anything real convoluted with the board or electronics just to up the wattage. Ideas?

Can the UM2 run a 24v PS instead of the 19v without too much trouble?

Thinking of putting it back to stock nozzle and just focusing on my next printer. In stock trim it was 100% perfect/reliable.