A different multi-extrusion approach - UM tool / printhead changer

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted · A different multi-extrusion approach - UM tool / printhead changer

There will be a fresh start with all relevant and up-to-date information in a few weeks.

Want another teaser? :) ... I made some decorations for next Monday

In summary approx. 40 printing hours without any problem.

• Sliced with Cura 2.3.0

• Printed on Ultimaker 2 with

• (dual) Extrusion Upgrade Kit

• foehnsturm toolhead changer

• foehnsturm "Spandex" add-on

DSCN0898B.thumb.JPG.88a9b7ee426f80300b0aa6bcf50d0193.JPG

DSCN0898B.thumb.JPG.88a9b7ee426f80300b0aa6bcf50d0193.JPG

• Like 10

I'd really like to see video of these wonderful monsters being created!

I understand that, but i think this is the privilege of the inventor.

(moreover - i don't have the right equipment for such things... :))

Posted (edited) · A different multi-extrusion approach - UM tool / printhead changer

BTW guys, it looks like some of the nicknames on the doodle poll are not the same as used here. Please double check and correct if necessary. This would make things a little easier for me.

Dual benchy, stl files processed with www.voronator.com, sliced with Cura 2.3

benchy-dual-voronoi1.thumb.jpg.83d5231a8166f3822fbfe2abfad47506.jpg

benchy-dual-voronoi2.thumb.jpg.57053f2e6fb593d94d45118ecee4194c.jpg

Edited by Guest
    • Like 4

Looks great, almost as if it was knitted. Now combine that with fuzzy skin ;)

Why did you choose this orientation though? Does it print better that way?

I use the same orientation as shown in the google+ 3D printing group. Otherwise the deck would start mid air as the hull is completely hollow.

Excellent print, in case the regular benchie was not challenging enough ;) It looks knitted indeed.

Posted (edited) · A different multi-extrusion approach - UM tool / printhead changer

I'm pretty sure @Foehnsturm cheated and it is knitted... ;)

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Well it is becoming colder outside.. gotta pick up some hobby now that we spend more time indoors right? ;)

• Like 1

Well it is becoming colder outside.. gotta pick up some hobby now that we spend more time indoors right? ;)

Do you need another hobby if you have an Ultimaker printer...? ;)

@Foehnsturm: You have two geared feeders on that machine, correct?

Edited by Guest

Yes two UM2+ feeders

There will be a fresh start with all relevant and up-to-date information in a few weeks.

Just curious: what will that fresh start be like? Instructions / Instructable how to do this or a kit to buy?

Beta testing will start next week.

As you know there's the doodle poll where 50+ people registered. Therefore we would like to do two beta testing cycles.

First we'll invite a small group to see if any glitches will surface during the installation process. A few "mission critical" parts have to be to printed and assembled. The enitre process is quite simple, however we want to minimize potential errors.

This first round should not take more than two or three weeks. Therafter, every one who showed interest will have the opportunity to perform the upgrade.

This solution likely is the most cost-effective alternative available. As for any dual extrusion system you need another drive train (feeder, hotend). But besides this the extra investment is less than €15.

The only thing you will have to buy is some magnets. Maybe you want to order them in advance. You need  6 pieces of this type: disc magnet, diameter: 6 mm, thickness: 3 mm, holding force: 900 gr.  They're cheap, I recommend buying at least 12 because if lying around they tend to develop a life on their own.

pikachu-dual-voronoi.thumb.jpg.569acba524a2ee536c2814244ce08886.jpg

pikachu-dual-voronoi.thumb.jpg.569acba524a2ee536c2814244ce08886.jpg

• Like 3

Super!!!

I can't wait.

@Foehnsturm, maybe you want to give some rough timeline for how long you want have the individual phases of the beta tests? The testers of the first phase will have to be able to deliver feedback within a certain time while the testers of the second phase will have to be a bit patient... ;)

Do you need extra beta testers?

... and to answer @Dim3nsioneer as well.

We'll see this next week. Some people already have been asked but not everyone might have enough spare time left within the next two weeks. The aim is to have a handfull of people installing it pretty soon.

• Like 1

I Look forward to seeing the end result, before I go ordering another Bondtech,, Just in case there is a problem with the firmware ???? BUT Really looking forward to it... All the head and Bowden are hear just need another 35w heat and probe from 3dSolex when he's up and running?????

It is what I kept the Um2 For...

... and to answer @Dim3nsioneer as well.

We'll see this next week. Some people already have been asked but not everyone might have enough spare time left within the next two weeks. The aim is to have a handfull of people installing it pretty soon.

Excited! Should you need another tester...

Drive train: does it make sense to simply buy the UM2+ upgrade kit, that has all the parts? (I have a UM2+)

Seems a bit expensive, but does it get cheaper buying the parts individually?

I did a rough calculation for other post https://ultimaker.com/en/community/22194-olssen-block-on-the-umo#reply-154005

And is around 190€ish for a new hotend and the feeder price I think @ultiarjan bought it in parts. You might be saving 150-100€ (with or without new feeder motor I think?

I did buy the feeder in parts. But you should be able to get a pre assembled feeder at um resellers according to @SandervG. But some people here reported they could not get it from there reseller. Ultimaker is pretty unclear about this.