Flow sensor for the UM2+ (and even perhaps for the UM3) - Call for pilot users

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Posted · Flow sensor for the UM2+ (and even perhaps for the UM3) - Call for pilot users

I've one kit available at the moment. First come first serve 😉

Manufacturing a new batch would require at least 5 binding orders.

And no, no news about a UM3 integration unfortunately. 

Posted · Flow sensor for the UM2+ (and even perhaps for the UM3) - Call for pilot users
    7 minutes ago, foehnsturm said:

I will gladly take it. 

Posted (edited) · Flow sensor for the UM2+ (and even perhaps for the UM3) - Call for pilot users
    On 4/16/2019 at 5:40 PM, 3dprinting_guy said:

I will gladly take it. 

I will gladly take it. also

Edited by Ramzes777
    deleted

On 4/16/2019 at 5:32 PM, foehnsturm said:

I will gladly take it. also

Posted (edited) · Flow sensor for the UM2+ (and even perhaps for the UM3) - Call for pilot users

Hi Foehnsturm, this should be able to work on the UMO, right?

Yeah, yeah, it's an oldie, but my heavily modded UMO (heated bed with PEI, E3Dv6, your own pulley upgrade, etc, etc) is still working its magic, so no reason to give up on it just yet.
    Still loving the original, although I do have other machines.

Any thoughts on how to get this running on the UMO?

I'll also be glad to get my hands on one.

Edited by reprogue

On 4/16/2019 at 10:32 AM, foehnsturm said:

I have 3 um2+'s and would love to try this out on all 3.

@foehnsturm,

If I counted correctly, there's interest for 8 orders:

@nfcrockett

@danyetman

@planeflake

@Ramzes777

@Scrat82 (3 items)

and myself (if this works on the UMO)

Enough for a new batch?

Please yes.  I want one so badly...

Hey guys,

Thanks for collecting orders 👍

I'll see how long manufacturing a next batch will take and keep you posted.

orders currently:

@danyetman

@planeflake

@Ramzes777

@Scrat82 (3 items)

@reprogue

@Nomo

Edited by foehnsturm

@danyetman, @planeflake, @Ramzes777, @Scrat82, @reprogue, @Nomo

Some news:

Estimated shipping: early June

Price, including shipping: € 75  / US$ 88

Shippping: tracked DHL shipping 

Please send a PM with your contact details.

Edited by foehnsturm

PM with shipping address so far:

@Nomo

@gr5 (new)

Other guys, come on!

I need a little more feedback to place the parts order. 

Count me out. I no longer have a UM2+.

Has anyone with the filament sensor tried it with a Bondtech DDG extruder and a UM2+?

No matter what I try or is suggested for me to try the flow rate just drops down until it gets to 0% using the move menu. 

Steps climb as I turn the dial but flow rate always drops to 0%. 

No no issues with printing when filament sensor is not connected. 

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. 

Oh my goodness, I forgot all about this topic.  I'm still in, foehnsturm!  PM sent!

Edited by danyetman

12 hours ago, 3dprinting_guy said:

Has anyone with the filament sensor tried it with a Bondtech DDG extruder and a UM2+?

No matter what I try or is suggested for me to try the flow rate just drops down until it gets to 0% using the move menu. 

I built foehnsturms flow sensor myself - one of the earlier versions.  I cast the rubber wheels also.

I found it to be very finicky and sensitive.  The friction was usually tiny but sometimes there would be just enough friction for the gears to get stuck.  The tiny gears were 3d printed and meshed pretty well but not quite good enough.  Having the tolerances in the gears and axles be slightly too tight or slightly too loose would cause them to get stuck.

Remove the flow sensor from your printer.  Cut 20cm of filament and push it through the sensor back and forth.  Twist the filament at the same time.  Add some pressure.  watch the gears.  Give it lateral pressure in the direction expected when feeding from a spool off to the side on the back of the printer.   Do the flow sensor wheels sometimes get stuck?  If so that needs to be fixed.  Maybe take it apart and try to find the problem.  Maybe use a file or something to improve the parts.

By the way - note that it worked fine most of the time.  I got through a few prints without a single problem.  But then other prints had the issue you describe because the wheels would stop turning.

But to me this looks pretty ok. Sensor wheel turns as long as the filament moves. However there some moments when I hear the feeder turning (I think) but nothing moves.