Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

Guest maht

Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

Greetings! 

We’ve just released a new stable firmware for the Ultimaker S5 and the Ultimaker 3 (Extended). 

Use your Ultimaker printer with Ultimaker Cura 4.0 and an Ultimaker account, and you can make use of the remote ‘cloud’ printing feature. This lets you print from outside the realms of your local network with an Ultimaker 3 or Ultimaker S5 via your Ultimaker account. There are also some other features detailed in the blog.

remote-printing-configuration.jpg

This release also introduces unified firmware, which makes it easier for our embedded team to support releases for the Ultimaker 3 and Ultimaker S5 together. Because of this, the installation process is a little different this time around. First, install the ‘stepping stone firmware’. When this is installed, update your firmware again to get to the latest version. For our S5 beta testers, you will also need to follow this process.

Update instructions and release notes can be found here . 

When your printer is running firmware 5.2.8, you will be able to use the same .swu package for the UM3 and UMS5 to update firmware in future, reducing the risk of bricking your printer. 

Feel free to offer any feedback or comments in this thread.

Updated successfully my UM3 and S5, without any problems.

But one minor issue on the UM3. The printer had a high-frequency buzzing noise after startup which was not there before. After a power off/on, the noise comes again when the printer has finished booting. So during the boot, there is nothing, when it is ready the buzzing noise is there again. I cannot locate the source of the sound, but it was interesting, that after turning the dial button the noise was gone. 

So for me, it is not an issue, I usually never turn off the printers, and if so, I just have to move the button a little bit to get rid of the sound. But I want to report it if you want to take a look into it.

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

Hi there,

The new updates are nice, however I feel like I may have misunderstood something as I cant find these new cloud features, can I ask where they are?

If I launch cura connect its the same as before but with extra print info tracking.
    I i press the "open ultimaker account" button, it takes me to a webpage where the only options are to log out, or enable two factor security.

Where are these new features? The ultimaker app on my phone still wont let me access my printer from outside the local network, despite the fact it is now showing my phone in cura connect.
    "This lets you print from outside the realms of your local network with an Ultimaker 3 or Ultimaker S5 via your Ultimaker account. "
    If you could direct me to this, that would be great, mostly all Im looking for is to be able to view and cancel prints via phone.

Edited by DrZebra
    • Like 1

Hi,

I get the Information, that there is a new Firmware. So I had choose it and the Printer (UM3 E) will install it fine.

But now, he will never Print from USB? All Files, which will Print perfectly with the Firmware before, will get

the Information at start, that the Print will be finished in 0 h 0 min and 0 sec. The Printer will also don´t Print

the files.

What is wrong with it?

What can I do to correct it? I only Print from USB.

How can I roll back, if there is no Chance to corect it now? The Printer will only Show that the FW is the latest.

A factory-Reset don´t helped. The Problem is the same as before the factory-reset...

Hope, someone can help!

With regards, Digibike

1 hour ago, DrZebra said:

Hi there,

The new updates are nice, however I feel like I may have misunderstood something as I cant find these new cloud features, can I ask where they are?

If I launch cura connect its the same as before but with extra print info tracking.
    I i press the "open ultimaker account" button, it takes me to a webpage where the only options are to log out, or enable two factor security.

Where are these new features? The ultimaker app on my phone still wont let me access my printer from outside the local network, despite the fact it is now showing my phone in cura connect.
    "This lets you print from outside the realms of your local network with an Ultimaker 3 or Ultimaker S5 via your Ultimaker account. "
    If you could direct me to this, that would be great, mostly all Im looking for is to be able to view and cancel prints via phone.

You can start the cloud connection flow from Cura Connect's settings page (http://IP_ADDRESS/settings). That'll guide you through the steps, eventually asking you to open op Cura for the final 'handshake'.

1 minute ago, ctbeke said:

You can start the cloud connection flow from Cura Connect's settings page (http://IP_ADDRESS/settings). That'll guide you through the steps, eventually asking you to open op Cura for the final 'handshake'.

Hi, Yes I did that and connected it all up but i that wasn't the problem.

I think I get it now, the new cloud stuff is only if you have a second computer? At a different location to your first?
    I assumed it would be usable through the ultimaker app as that would be how most people would "access it from outside the network".

If its only for use with a second computer etc then never mind, its not useful to me. May I request that this feature be added to the ultimaker app?

Thanks

22 minutes ago, Digibike said:

Hi,

I get the Information, that there is a new Firmware. So I had choose it and the Printer (UM3 E) will install it fine.

But now, he will never Print from USB? All Files, which will Print perfectly with the Firmware before, will get

the Information at start, that the Print will be finished in 0 h 0 min and 0 sec. The Printer will also don´t Print

the files.

What is wrong with it?

What can I do to correct it? I only Print from USB.

How can I roll back, if there is no Chance to corect it now? The Printer will only Show that the FW is the latest.

A factory-Reset don´t helped. The Problem is the same as before the factory-reset...

Hope, someone can help!

With regards, Digibike

Can you provide more details so that the problem can be understood better. To what version did you update, since this update is a special one, actually two updates are required.

The first update is the stable 4.3.96, after installation it should show a newer version in the stable menu 5.2.8. 

Then did you slice your models again with the latest Cura version or what version are you using? 

Has something changed in the gcode header? Maybe a new field which is now required and is missing from his "old" gcode?  I assume Digibike uses S3D so it could be the reason.

17 minutes ago, DrZebra said:

Hi, Yes I did that and connected it all up but i that wasn't the problem.

I think I get it now, the new cloud stuff is only if you have a second computer? At a different location to your first?
    I assumed it would be usable through the ultimaker app as that would be how most people would "access it from outside the network".

If its only for use with a second computer etc then never mind, its not useful to me. May I request that this feature be added to the ultimaker app?

Thanks

That's unfortunate. At the moment remote printing is only supported by Cura indeed, so either on a 2nd desktop or a laptop that you take somewhere else. I can't go into details here but we'll be adding a lot more features in the (near) future, this is just the basis for having a cloud connection at all.

• Thanks 1

Since we only ever fill the threads with complaints and blames about bugs and errors, the positive should also be highlighted.

Bringing the firmware from UM3 to the same code base was certainly not easy. And it was even more difficult to ensure a smooth update process without bricking the UM3.

Therefore I would like to thank all developers and testers for their work! 👍 👏

Please keep up the good work. 

• Like 2
    • Thanks 3

Yes, I use Simplify3d. Is there anything, what is changed in the Sliced-Files, so that I can Change the Simplify Header, so that it will be compatible with the new Firmware?

With regards, Digibike

It was just a guess, I don't know if this is really the root cause for your problem. But install Cura 4.0 and slice a file, then compare the header, it is for sure the quickest way to check it.

On the other hand, if there was really a change, then updated printers would also not print gcodes from Cura 3.x, so maybe I am wrong with the header.

t is the same for me, after the update no s3d files can be printed anymore

Please make a test with a Cura sliced file, I am just guessing.

With cura it will work, but what i found is the "crazy" Homeing! The last stable before, it will go to the switch-Position and

stop there. Now he will go to the Positon and some mm back and than to the switch-Position. I wondered About this - what will it make? The switches are more loaded with this...

Now I must check, what is different to it. @Smithy. has you an old Gcode before the FW-Update, which can you divide with me?

So i can compare, what is different with the Version 4 and new FW to Version 3.x and the last FW before and my Simplify3d-Header...

It will help me to found, what has changed with the Cura-Versions before and after the big FW-realase and what I must Change on Simplify so that I can Use it with the new FW...

with regards, Digibike

10 minutes ago, Digibike said:

@Smithy. has you an old Gcode before the FW-Update, which can you divide with me?

Sure, here we go....

UM3_C-15.gcode

• Like 1

Wow! Thanks! It will help - I hope so!

Am I just dense? Where is the setting to turn off the frame lights?

-edit-

Yep... I was two updates behind. On 5.2 and the lights finally turn off. I'm so happy.

Edited by Rainbowdashboard
    I'm dumb

My Ultimaker 3 just asked me to upgrade the firmware and I did.

Since upgrading, it levels the bed, but then lowers the bed and prints in the air. I tried a factory reset, manual bed levelling, and upgraded Cura to the 4.0 download, all the same.

Help! my UM3 is worthless now!

7 hours ago, Rainbowdashboard said:

Am I just dense? Where is the setting to turn off the frame lights?

I am currently not in front of my printer, but it is the same setting as before, but now the lights are completely off and not just dimmed.

7 hours ago, kevin-osborn said:

Since upgrading, it levels the bed, but then lowers the bed and prints in the air.

Do you use the z-offset plugin?

5 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I am currently not in front of my printer, but it is the same setting as before, but now the lights are completely off and not just dimmed.

Its under system/frame light/...

i have an error. 

"the firmware failed to verify, please retry installation"

any help?

*and yes i have retried!

Edited by ScanHD

Roughly how long does the update take? Got an S5 updating over the network and it's been going for almost 2hrs now. 

1 hour ago, ScanHD said:

i have an error. 

"the firmware failed to verify, please retry installation"

any help?

*and yes i have retried!

Can you tell me the printer type and if this happens on the first update or the second and if you are updating from the internet or USB. 

Cannot verify means there is a corruption in the downloaded files and it cannot verify it's signature, you can try to reboot and try again or try updating over USB as suggested in the first post.