Ultimaker S5 disconnects from Cura Connect frequently

thelemurking

Posted · Ultimaker S5 disconnects from Cura Connect frequently

Hello,

I have 3 S5 printers, and have connected all of them to the Cura Connect feature, with the app downloaded on my phone, with notifications enabled etc. etc.

This is very useful for me, as I've had cases when the printer had some sensor error and it aborted the print, sending me a notification to fix the issue.

However, the printers keep disconnecting. They are connected via WiFi, if that matters.

Do you guys have any idea as to why this keeps happening, and what I can do to make it stop?

When this happens, I need to switch the printers off and on again, and then run the connection setup again, which is mildly frustrating.

Thanks!

Cosmin

• Like 1

If you have the possibility to use the ethernet connection, then do it. For whatever reason the wifi connection is not as stable as it should, but with the wired ethernet it works fine and stable.

Hi,

I'm one of the developers involved in Connect. As @Smithy indicates, ethernet will always be more stable than wifi. However we're still interested in finding potential problems that are unrelated to wireless technology. Maybe you could share the logs of your printer with us (in a private message if desired)? You can find the option to dump logs to USB in the printer's settings menu.

Also, which firmware version are you running?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi

I have the same problem with my S5, as a Cura Connect group host, that keeps disconnecting from Cura 4.3 and 4.4, but all my printers are connected on a gigabyte ethernet network.

Disconnection is mainly while Cura performs processor intensive tasks (saving a project, slicing, changing material, changing profile) but also occurs while Cura is idle.

Some weird informations on Cura 4.4, printer is said to be connected on the top left, but going to the printers tab, it is not marked as connected. Still it is possible to send the print to the printer by network.

638187074_Capturedcran2019-11-2413_09_04.thumb.png.03c3d5d243d946de16aaf73d850c3a57.png

I already have a bug opened on Github https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/6626

This corrupts all the projects that are saved making this feature useless. It's a PITA.

Seems like 4.3 and 4.4 releases were done to deliver new features for the new Ultimaker products, but quality control and non regression was not a priority.

It's a shame for products that are targeting businesses.

Being a 3d printing service provider this has a major impact on my operations.

• Like 1

Ultimaker should be past asking users for log files and mentioning that Ethernet is more stable than wireless. 

Please find the deficiency and fix it!

It is not up for debate, there is an issue with the S5 wireless connection. I have had connection and drop out issues with mine since the day I got it out of the box, not to mention the last firmware update completely knocked it out, had to revert that back just to get the intermittent connection back. The message boards are chock full of everyone else with same. 

Frustrated was 3 months ago... when I thought I would just wait for the fix. 

My bathroom scale, robot vacuum, wireless speakers, smart light bulbs, exercise bike, smart tv, laser printer, fire stick... you name it are all wireless, network or blue tooth, they never drop off the network ever. 

If you got bad hardware built into the S5 that can't be fixed with software and firmware then send us all a USB to Bluetooth adapter to plug into our machines or something. The situation is getting ridiculous,!

• Like 1

Due to multiple issues with Cura 4.3 and 4.4 on projects / materials and constant disconnections of the networked printer (though all my printers / devices are on ethernet), I have reverted to Cura 4.2.1 beginning of this week.

Since, no more disconnections.

I have been having a similar issue on my UM3 for months.  After 20 or so minutes the wifi connection cuts out, only a reboot fixes it in my case.  Just this week I discovered my issue/bug was somehow related to the tool change.  The wifi dies right after it changes from core 0 to core 1.  Could you S5 guys try making a few prints without a tool change and see if that keeps your wifi stay connected?  I have gone months rebooting after every print and this week of only using core 0 I have only had to reboot once.

SO, a bit of an update to the situation.

As pulling a direct ethernet cable is pretty hard, we decided to try and setup a 2nd router as a bridge. This was properly setup, and our printers connected to the 2nd bridged router via ethernet cable. Now, the printers  appear connected via ethernet, they have internet connection basically, however  they can not be found on any network in CURA or through the Ultimaker android app. 

Any advice as to why this happens? Previously, we could atleast see the printers and briefly connect to them, via WIFI directly. Now, it seems that it's even worse.

Thanks,

Cosmin

@thelemurking likely your two networks are not sharing discovery protocols between them (which are used by Cura and the Ultimaker app for the printer scanning feature).

Can you try Cura 4.4.1? It contains some patches.

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker S5 disconnects from Cura Connect frequently

S5 and UM3 Wifi is very close to useless. I recommend connecting it to the network via LAN cable. The WiFi seems to only support 2.4GHz, which today is totally saturated. I find it strange that a €7000 product has a $2 WiFi chip.

That said, if you connect the S5 with a LAN cable, the online functionality is very stable.

(If UM try to sound this like it is a special case, that is not true. At work, we have a shared lab with 4 Ultimakers, owned by 3 different companies, bought at different times and even in different countries. None of them are able to stay connect to WiFi. However, cheap Chinese equipment, Raspberry Pi, mobile phones and computers connect perfectly to the same network. Just use a cable...)

Edited by MaxQ

On 1/3/2020 at 5:41 PM, ctbeke said:

@thelemurking

Latest cura hasn't resolved my ethernet connect problems with my UM3. Now the reboot doesn't help neither.

Get the same problem on my S5 thats linked via ethernet, drops in and out a lot, whats a pain when trying to check up via the video feed in the app. I have also seen that slicing and doing a preview in Cura makes connect drop out also.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker S5 disconnects from Cura Connect frequently
    On 1/3/2020 at 5:41 PM, ctbeke said:

It had indeed a positive effect in my case. WiFi connections are now again found automatically without having to manually enter the IP address.

Edited by Dim3nsioneer
    • Like 1

@ctbeke I might add that automatic reconnection at Cura start does not work. It needs a bit of nudging aka opening the connection dialog; then it reconnects automatically.

Yes, Cura 4.4.1 helped for me as well. Thanks for the suggestion.

On 1/5/2020 at 12:31 PM, Carla_Birch said:

Get the same problem on my S5 thats linked via ethernet, drops in and out a lot, whats a pain when trying to check up via the video feed in the app. I have also seen that slicing and doing a preview in Cura makes connect drop out also.

I was having the same configuration + 2 UM3E connected via Ethernet on Cura 4.4.

Since I have reverted to 4.2.1 no more disconnects.

I have 2 bugs opened on 4.3 and 4.4. They were said by Ultimaker team to contribute to the problem (shadow printers created in background, material issue on projects)

@nallath told that the fix will be on 4.5. But it was before the 4.4.1 release.

On 1/7/2020 at 6:27 PM, V3DPrinting said:

I was having the same configuration + 2 UM3E connected via Ethernet on Cura 4.4.

Since I have reverted to 4.2.1 no more disconnects.

I have 2 bugs opened on 4.3 and 4.4. They were said by Ultimaker team to contribute to the problem (shadow printers created in background, material issue on projects)

@nallath told that the fix will be on 4.5. But it was before the 4.4.1 release.

I think some 4.5 fixes were backported to 4.4.1 because they were considered critical.

Anymore updates on this?  I am using Cura 4.5; I have an S5 and 3E connected via ethernet (S5 is host), and the printers still disconnect frequently.  As a previous poster said, it is definitely worse after sending a new print job, or things like that from Cura, cut it is very annoying.

And periodically I will get an "Unexpected Printer Status" in Connect, wiping out all the jobs I had in the queue.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2020 at 7:55 PM, CTotten said:

Anymore updates on this?  I am using Cura 4.5; I have an S5 and 3E connected via ethernet (S5 is host), and the printers still disconnect frequently.  As a previous poster said, it is definitely worse after sending a new print job, or things like that from Cura, cut it is very annoying.

And periodically I will get an "Unexpected Printer Status" in Connect, wiping out all the jobs I had in the queue.

Can you upload (or send in a PM) any logs from Cura and the printer? Then we can have a look into what's going on in your case (every case is different in networking related issues).

I also have the same problem with my S5.  Is the development team working on this issue? 

I'm pretty much stopped using wireless altogether because it is unreliable.  I'm fortunate that my printer is close to my Apple wireless router so I can use the ethernet cable, but that means I could not move the printer without significant wiring hassles. Also, while more reliable than wireless, the ethernet connection itself cuts out on occasion, especially after a long print job.

When I try to re-engage the wireless connection in the printer's settings menu after it has cut out, the two way button on the touch menu does not change over to the on, blue position.

Do you mind if I send you my log file? If so, should I download just after an error occurs?

Kevin

@TerpsiKore please send your log file. The shorter after a wifi issue occurs the better.

On 4/21/2020 at 1:16 AM, ctbeke said:

@TerpsiKore please send your log file. The shorter after a wifi issue occurs the better.

Thank you. I just lost my wifi connection (a regular occurrence) and immediately downloaded the log files, which I just sent to you.

Kevin