A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?

ian

Posted · A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?

I did marvin a couple of weeks ago had an excellent review but nothing more...

I had two request on MakeYZ (or something like that) but could fulfill them because the print was to big for my UM2 :(

Hi all

Almost holiday times for me ^^ still two more days to work and then freedom (for two weeks only but freedom \o/)

Besides that i received a mail from MakerBot (i guess because i'm on thingiverse??) i have to share this it's so funny (or not).

Tips and Tricks from makerbot:

USE MAKERBOT PLA FILAMENT

We rigorously test every color of MakerBot PLA Filament to ensure it will run smoothly through our Smart Extruders. To help avoid clogs and other issues, be sure to use MakerBot PLA Filament.

It's the solution to all clogging issues :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Morning everybody, I just finished my coffee.

Let me introduce myself shortly, i am Jan, i wanted to have a 3d printer a while ago and started to look around. I ended among other sites also on this topic, called coffee, and the decision was clear. Only had to buy one to play along.

It did work almost instantaniously. Only flex material seems to give problems so far. But this corner is not for problems, but for drinks only?

A lot of you have holidays I guess? Since I work for myself I always feel to have a kind of freedom.

Greetings, Jan

Welcome Jan!

This is a free topic to talk about stuff that keeps us busy, so "asking for directions" is perfectly okay in my book :)

The stock UM2 feeder does not deal well with flexible. The advise you'll get everywhere around this forum is to simply use here.

Just keeping myself accountable regarding the trying to be fit and stuff. As some of you might have seen I've been moaning about the heat lately. It's been way too hot for me to feel good the past 2-3 weeks. So, the past week I skipped most of my workouts, I just couldn't handle it in the heat. Today we mercifully got a cloudy day (YAY!) with more sane temperatures so I went ahead and tried to do my workout... Man, just one week of slacking off and I'm shaky after half the workout and have to bail out... I suck.

On a lighter note, I went to see Guardians of the Galaxy this weekend. I mean, after all the hype about it, I kinda had to. Glad I did. I might not agree with some of the crazy hype it has gotten but it's a very nice, solid movie. Well worth the extra money for the comfy seat :p

@ian - will you even read this? You are hardly on the forms anymore :(

Well the traffic HAS NOT SLOWED this summer. It's crazy. I finally gave up reading every post. It's just too much. I try to only read for an hour per day. This topic I only check once per week.

As far as rumors/buzz - somewhere on these forums I read that UM will have an announcement at Makerfaire NYC which is on September 21. So that's the only "buzz" I've got. Oh - and Sander mentioned hiring even more staff for support desk - I guess they got pretty far behind. Hopefully they can catch up the backlog. Also that way they won't get 3 tickets from the same person thinking they didn't get the first ticket which is now a week old and if they do it will be more obvious that the same person just created 3 tickets. Hopefully.

I think UM2 biggest issue now is DHL/Fedex. They need to encase each printer in a steel box with diagonal 1 inch steel supports. lol. It needs to be able to withstand a drop test from an airplane at 10,000 meters. I've been seeing lots of posts with UM2's with the crap beaten out of them. Broken displays, warped printers, Rods no longer parallel. We are talking many mm of warp to the gantry.

Hay George !!!

Lovely to hear from you.

Sorry about not being on the forum recently.

The last few weeks with the new job have been crazy and I have been working 11 or 12 hours a day. then sports. food and sleep and now on top of that my girlfriend has 2 weeks holidays and because she is blind and has nothing to do... ie... no real friends.. then she has crashed into my little work apartment and listens to audio books all day. eats cookies and when I come home dead on my feet.... she looks at me and says... what do we do now ?

I think I don't have a girlfriend... I think iv adopted a blind 6 year old.............. MMMMMMMMM

But shes gone on Friday.. then I have a little time to actually do a little of what I want....

Seriously.... I know living alone is not good... but when god offers you a loving caring... very dependent immature girl as your partner..... so..... life aint a piece of pie all the time...

Just want to get back into 3d modelling and printing and prototyping....... i really miss it... but like you said George... I cant afford to spend hours policing the forum anymore... the day simply doesnt have enough hours....

Also I think Robert is thank god busy working for Daniel in Sweden so I cant imagine him camping out the forum... Simon is also crazy busy with his job expansions at the moment.... Maybe with all the expansions going on in Ultimaker.. they can hire someone to fully time police the forums ?? maybe...

Ok George.. good night and best wishes from Bavaria !!!

Ian :-)

I have a piece of Ultimaker news! I'm organizing the first German Ulti-evening! Yes, it's finally happening!!! (I do feel this needs more exclamation marks.)

If you speak German, see my thread http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/6836-ulti-evening-in-deutschland-fablabs-gesucht/.

I also finally bought some Faberdashery filament and I might be in love with the robot silver one. It's so gorgeous! Currently printing Robert's labyrinth box as a wedding gift (well, there will be some money inside, too... mustn't print that, unfortunately).

And I realized after buying a food processor that my apartment is slowly taken over by robots, just how I like it :-)

Welcome Jan!

This is a free topic to talk about stuff that keeps us busy, so "asking for directions" is perfectly okay in my book :)

The stock UM2 feeder does not deal well with flexible. The advise you'll get everywhere around this forum is to simply use here.

Funny that you say so. I personally also have only printed PLA Flex (or Ninjaflex, which is even more flexible) on Roberts feeder, however I tasked someone from the support team to try it out on the regular feeder and it worked flawless.

(ok ok, we only tested a simple cube, but there were no flaws to be recognized.)

I must say.... I was surprised. Pleasantly surprised.

@ Jan, try 2 drops of sewing machine oil in the bowden tube, no retraction and a slightly higher temp.

This is not all mandatory for flex pla, but may give you something to start with.

And yes, I have taken it upon me with Cez_etc and Blizz to organize a German & Belgium Ulti-evening.

Don't know when the first edition will be.. but so you all know it is in the works :)

Sander well then you guys must have awesome feeders. I tried with the stock feeder and even at speeds of 20mm/sec and 230º either no extrusion or the filament started coming out of the back of the feeder :)

I just confirmed and the settings she used were:

250ºC, 35mm/s, 0.1 layer height and retraction enabled.

What happens when you try this?

Hi Guys & Girls

Haven`t posted in a while, been busy and been on holiday for a couple weeks. Went to Barcelona for 1 week, how cool is that place! I`m sure you all know about the Sagrada Familia, google it, the crazy gaudi designed church which is a true masterpiece and still being built today! I had to take a few geeky pictures when I seen the designers working on the structural designs and 3D printing 1/20 scale models!! Awesome stuff.

Had a week then in Marbella, but got some bad virus so spent most of it in bed :( Need another holiday now!!

I`m talking myself into quitting my 9-5 boring job too! Scary... but just sick of the rat race!

Glad to be home to the loving "weed" smell of my PLA happy corner lol

My whole company is shutting down shop for 2 weeks holidays Betriebsferien so im having holidays I guess... Only 2 months into the new job and already holidays... okkkkk... LOL

Hello Ian, if that is the normal procedure, you know what to do: switch every 2 months in career! LOL

@Sander: No go I'm afraid. I can't even get it to come through the nozzle anymore, no matter what I try. Guess I'll have to play a bit with the tension of the arm of the feeder to get that working.

MY DAY WAS AWESOME :D

SO SMOOOOTH!

Nuff said.

You may guess what I did :p

Yeah! Nice yellow color! (And another yeah! for me for getting the video to play :p).

Some sewing oil did the trick. UM Team, you should really add a bottle(like 4 euro's max) to the packages. It just helps SO much!

I thought I squared everything like I should and all the belts and pulleys were ok, but the friction was still to high. Some oil helped out so much!

I do notice that to keep this extremely low friction I should oil like every 3 days. But even without doing that it still stays way smoother then before :D

Sewing oil is magical stuff. I totally agree with adding it to the package, but it's not my call (You can touch it, so it's outside of my responsibilities ;))

Noooo! The picture upload is broken so I can't post the pictures, but I just salvaged some parts that had the raft stuck to the bottom by putting them into a mill :p Just removed 1 layer height ^^ It actually worked pretty well! This makes me think of how you can 3D print and mill pretty accurate parts!

question... where can i hang out my socks in this section when I want to really relax and chat.... I never get it... I do this all the time... BUT... i don't have so many friends.... ?

Oh yeah im also back printing.... and 3d modelling and using my spare time... TO MAKE THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE.... LOLLL

Going back to work tomorrow... looking forward to getting a project finished and start product testing... a new transporter system for letters and envelopes between our existing system.. a new franking machine and back into our modular system again... simply but its gotta be right ! :-)

So guys.. come one... whats UP ???

Ian :-)

Hmmm... I'm using my spare time somehow else....

Was in Las Vegas the last days - AWSOME!!!!!

Now on the run to monument valley...

Can you beat this Ian :-)