Post your latest print!

IRobertI

Posted · Post your latest print!

I really love this Bowden Clamp for my ultimaker that owen put together.

But every time I printed it with Cura (love it) i got the problem of thin walls on the corners where the screws would go through.

So this morning I just tweaked it, so the outside line is about 1mm further out,which you dont notice when you mount it on your print head version 1 or 2 ultimaker and then cura prints it really nice and solid.

also i cut away a little fat, that wasnt needed. Enjoy. Ian

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:34414

Bowden Clamp Ultimaker (updated for Cura) Ian

very cool model Robert.

But what exactly is it ?

just to hold your ear phones ??

Ian :D

Yup, to avoid the cable becoming a tangled mess in your pocket/bag. There are a ton of different solutions for this but I wanted to make something of my own. The main goal was to make it fully enclosed (that will be v2).

fly me to the mooon..... :-)

now that looks like fun ! :-)

How did you do the white and red mized piece, is that two pieces fitting very tightly together or have you a working dual print head ?

crazy nice !

fly me to the mooon..... :-)

now that looks like fun ! :-)

How did you do the white and red mized piece, is that two pieces fitting very tightly together or have you a working dual print head ?

crazy nice !

The red and white pieces are printed separately and fit together (with a little post processing :))

this was a bit of a test, how accurate the pieces could be printed that fit together.

and it taught me a lesson, that I need to adjust the drawings a bit to get a better, and easy fit.

are you going to share the stl or drawing files ? ;-)

are you going to share the stl or drawing files ? ;-)

Maybe :)

But I am still looking for 3d model exhaust for the rocket, so I can make it like in this image:

litho1.jpg

So I can make a printable version from that.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:12439

Not the dual color rocket, but should give you a base to work with.

I finally got my ass in gear and installed a second fan for additional cooling. I've been meaning to do it for months but just never gotten around to it. I printed out another one of Gijs' fan ducts and mounted it on a little stand-off of scrap aluminium.

image.thumb.jpg.a45d4ab92283d8b934f7c59a9791e90c.jpg

Then I gave both KISSlicer, my new favourite slicer (soo fast [insert Homer drool here] ), and the extra fan a test with the good ol pyramid. I'd say the results are pretty decent :)

lbm_section_02.thumb.jpg.b0fa9154e6f345b776d0aa39e5db5997.jpg

This was the worst stringing on it. Hit those with a lighter for a fraction of a second and they're gone. And there's a few small bumps on the inside of the front left leg.

lbm_section_03.thumb.jpg.edffbc45502c16b05ccda0c1df4952ba.jpg

just got done with a project for a friends birthday a geometrical lamp. IMG_2494_display_medium.jpg

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:34903

My printer has been out of service while i was waiting for a new thermo coupler, got a hothead v2 aswell .This is the first print in a while:

3dprinting2012-4.jpg

Modeled in sculptrix by my gf , some cuts done in netfab and sliced in cura at .2 mm ,1mm walls ,0 infill

Gave my printer a little upgrade in the light department.

Had a few CREE XR-Es lying around so I wired up two of them with a little driver. Sorry about the blur, but you get the idea. Also note the professionally manufactured heatsinks ;)

undefined

I printed out a couple of mounts for them.

printed-handle-1.thumb.jpg.1fdcbcd7e3d3d75de48e7e4c9fe83f7c.jpg

And of course I needed a mount for the switch. This is actually just half the mount, it was supposed to go on the outside. But... plug, another fu!#%ng plug put a stop to that. Luckily it fit just about perfect on the inside instead.

Trou.thumb.jpg.d7837e70092a98723b5371a722a51ca3.jpg

And here it is lit up. It's quite an improvement compared to the desk lamp I used before. But I'm going to mount one more LED on the head as well I think. I just need to come up with how to mount it so I don't get blinded, it's painful to look at these LEDs.

undefined

are those the 3W ones? if so, you only need 10 around the bed and you can do away with the hot end completely ;)

(and your eyesight too)

CREE makes lots of different LEDs. The "3W" seems to be something marketers like to slap on things :) These particular ones are pretty old tech that I happened to have a few spares of. I'm driving them at around 600-700mA, not sure, don't remember the exact output of this particular driver. With a vF of somewhere around 3.4V that would give a wattage of ~2. Of course I could up the current a bit to get to 3W but they're pretty hot as it is :) According to the curve of the datasheet they should be delivering roughly 150Lumens at this current.

I have the slightly more modern XP-G as well but I picked the XR-E instead because of the slightly more directional output of them. I think a lot of light would be wasted if I went with the XP-G instead.

Well that was a long "answer" to a short question... sorry! :p

My final version of the earbud holder. Download available over at Thingiverse.

edit: Yay, I got featured :)

Di wirebender part...

Christmas is coming up and all my nephews want is cash. But, handing over an envelope is a bit boring so this year I thought I'd make something a bit more fun. So, I found this thing on Thingiverse. I redrew it, made a few tweaks and made it bigger so now I can stuff some cash in there :)

(also, my earbud holder made top 5 on the most popular things in two days. Yay :D )

untitled_23.thumb.jpg.8ec13e7b372900ba88d2b2fa398c67a5.jpg

untitled_24.thumb.jpg.129170f3bc833295809447f6e2f9f7e8.jpg

you're turning into a proper designer now Robert, nice work! :)

how did you do the text inlay? is that printed separately and slotted in place?

Thanks :) I'm actually looking into possibly giving Kickstarter a go for the earbud holder. Learning the theories of mouldmaking is... hard though. Apparently you want to make it so that only two halves are needed to make it as cheap as possible but I'm not sure that is possible with the current design.

The text is actually really simple, it's simply indented into the model and then I used a syringe to fill it with paint. I overfill it a bit as the paint looses volume as it dries. After it is dried I scrub it with a rag soaked in alcohol to wipe away the excess.

The original plan was to sand it all down to a mirror finish but... that didn't work out.

I would back that kickstarter x10. I hate how my ear buds run wild in my pockets or backpack and that is a very good looking solution. :D Also on my To-Print List once I get mine in working order.

I have a little experience with mold making so I understand the frustration of trying to get one for it.

Good luck!

that's very clever Robert - I tried a similar technique once (which was why I asked) and injected a sort of rubberized paint into the recess. the problems I had were -

1) the color bled into the PLA (it seems the PLA leeched the color and so didn't give a crisp edge that I wanted) this wasn't helped by the alcohol which dissolved some of the color during cleaning and then spread it into the fine inter-layer lines.

2) when cleaning up, the paint stuck to itself better than to the PLA, so I would sometimes remove the infill as well as the bit I was cleaning, so then had to go back and re-fill :(

it looks like you succeeded very well where I failed so well done! if it's not a trade secret I'd certainly be interested which paint you used and I might try again, inspired by your success.

my new and updated ultimaker cooling fan shroud.

Ian

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:35365

I would back that kickstarter x10. I hate how my ear buds run wild in my pockets or backpack and that is a very good looking solution. :D Also on my To-Print List once I get mine in working order.

I have a little experience with mold making so I understand the frustration of trying to get one for it.

Good luck!

What if I hold you to that promise and start selling them for $200 a pop! ;) Nah maybe not, I have no idea on price really since I have no idea about the costs involved :)

Yeah, it's not easy... I don't see how I could get this to work with just two mould pieces, it'd get stuck in there. I'm thinking I have to have two main pieces and then a third coming in from the side to create the cavity where the buds are stored. And I'm guessing that will raise cost a fair bit.

it looks like you succeeded very well where I failed so well done! if it's not a trade secret I'd certainly be interested which paint you used and I might try again, inspired by your success.

I guess I got lucky then. I just used some hobby paint that I picked up on sale at the local hardware store. I'm not sure on the translation here but it's a water based acrylic (acrylate?) latex paint for general hobby use. It doesn't bleed into the plastic as far as I can see but I do recognise the problem with it being spread into the fine ridges. Persistent scrubbing got rid of that as well though. At places where the paint was a bit thick (it covered the center of the A for example) I scraped on it a bit with my fingernail to help the alcohol get in there.

hey, Ian is back, and designing some sexy stuff it looks like!

thought we'd lost you to google Ian.