general forum feedback

ultiarjan

Posted · general forum feedback

Hi Arjan, for some reason (feel free to tell me if you know) that website generates a URL with watch feature video in it, and that part triggers the error.

Usually, most embedded video's have a redirected URL and those work.

It is also strange that if you click your link in your post, you are not redirected to the video, just youtube in general.

Can we agree that this is a unique strange issue, and the youtube video's usually work?

• Replies 1.6k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can we agree that this is a unique strange issue, and the youtube video's usually work?

I have really no idea at all how often video is embedded this way on the web.... just thought I let you know, but you're probably right that videos usually work.

Why should you need to strip away the youtube.com part. Seems cumbersome and error prone to copy part of the link only. I think it would be more intuitive and easier to allow "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=...." to be pasted. I can't see why that would make it harder to figure out which video should be embedded. You can still allow "/watch?v=...." since that already works

That was a partial mistake from my end. I used to do it like that, but it is not necessary.

In my last example I copy pasted the entire URL and that worked too, so we can ignore my previous comment about the /watch etc ;)

I think there is a ambiguity about the notifications settings. For example I'd like to disable notifications about new 3d prints that show up on the bell icon on the top right:

print_upload_notif.thumb.png.4de225251daf0e7c6e812c665423ccbd.png

I thought I'd be able to do it in the "settings" area that is on the top right of the notifications window:

notif_settings.thumb.png.82b0ea5130adb5d159b67f1f655a1841.png

But there I am only able to select "No e-mail". That's not right. I'd expect the notification settings to be also related to the bell icon and not only to email notifications. There is no clear distinction between them.

print_upload_notif.thumb.png.4de225251daf0e7c6e812c665423ccbd.png

notif_settings.thumb.png.82b0ea5130adb5d159b67f1f655a1841.png

The login period timeout for this forum is too short. Other forums that I belong to go months without requiring re-login. This could be silently deterring more comment posts...

Unrelated (and very minor) nut poor graphic design on the UM main page. The *.gif there needs should be edited to take the black blip out when it gets to the end and repeats.

Hi Mastory,

I never have to sign in again. Could it be because you use different computers / browsers or your browser deletes the cookies after a certain amount of period?

Posted (edited) · general forum feedback

Hey Sander, I am using Google Chrome on a Mac and I don't delete cookies that often but my session here on the forum expires after roughly 1 hour... This doesn't happen with other sites/platforms (so soon).

Edited by Guest

@Nicolinux: Do you check "Remember me" when logging in?

I hope I did - would be pretty embarrassing otherwise :)

Hmmm... I have to re-login every one or two weeks...

btw: the forum is extremely slooooooooooowwwww....

snail-front.jpg

Edited by Guest
    • Like 2

snail-front.jpg

...it is probably not getting any faster with you uploading huge snails :)

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

There's a post since yesterday night that I can't even try to access. It just keep loading at infinitum:

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/19814-olsson-block-issues?page=last#lastreply

...it is probably not getting any faster with you uploading huge snails :)

Well, I didn't expect other users to include the (cute?) snail in their reply... ;)

@neotko: That's because that thread has been censored: There are no issues with the Olsson Block (Jedi hand waving)...

• Like 1

There are no issues with the Olsson Block. Thanks have a good day

(º_º'')

• Like 1

@neotko: That's because that thread has been censored: There are no issues with the Olsson Block (Jedi hand waving)...

Wow, that is a bit scary.

I doubt there are any serious issues with the design of the Olsson block, but it is certainly a strange coincidence.

I've had difficulties too, very slow loading this week just going from one topic to another

I've had difficulties too, very slow loading this week just going from one topic to another

No speed issues here.... you must be on the black list for starting your own forum :p
    • Like 2

Strange, this forum has always had like 5-10 times the loading time for me compared to other forum softwares.

It does not matter what platform or Internet connection I use or which continent I am using it from, still way much slower than I demand for comfortable browsing.

The speed has not changed lately for me, so appearance of the new (fast) forum should not be related :D

No speed issues here.... you must be on the black list for starting your own forum :p

Sadly that would not surprise me or many others. But let's not digress or I'll get hate mail

No speed issues here either.

@LePaul I can't imagine you getting hate mail from any of the nice folks out here.... this place must have something ...  as you're still around ...

Edited by Guest

It's correct the forum can be optimised to boost the speed and response time.

The speed test of Google gives more information about the speed of this forum.

Eliminate render-blocking JavaScript and CSS in above-the-fold content

Your page has 4 blocking script resources and 3 blocking CSS resources. This causes a delay in rendering your page.

None of the above-the-fold content on your page could be rendered without waiting for the following resources to load. Try to defer or asynchronously load blocking resources, or inline the critical portions of those resources directly in the HTML.

Remove render-blocking JavaScript:

https://d3v5bfco3dani2.cloudfront.net/src/js/vendor/modernizr-custom.js

https://d3v5bfco3dani2.cloudfront.net/vendor/jquery/dist/jquery.js

https://d3v5bfco3dani2.cloudfront.net/build/site/js/61691896.build.min.js

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/conversion_async.js

Consider Fixing:

• Reduce server response time
    • Minify JavaScript
    • Prioritize visible content
    • Leverage browser caching
    • Optimize images
    • Minify HTML

Hi Mastory,

I never have to sign in again. Could it be because you use different computers / browsers or your browser deletes the cookies after a certain amount of period?

Sander,

The problem I was experiencing with constantly logging in was that I had not checked 'remember me'.  I have now checked it, and when I re-opened the site in a new browser instance I am logged in.   I think for the button should say, "Keep me logged in".  "Remember me" to me implies that the browser will be asked to store the password, which is something I never choose on any website.  I guess it is a non-problem of misunderstanding, or interpretation.

Matt

Edited by Guest

Got a few ghost notifications again today.

Also what is up with this white space and stuff IMG_20160229_130950.thumb.png.75349a93d272bb67e91fc4c2f9e2e5af.png

BlackBerry z10.

Also can't seem to close the menu once I open it.

IMG_20160229_130950.thumb.png.75349a93d272bb67e91fc4c2f9e2e5af.png