general forum feedback

ultiarjan

Posted · general forum feedback
The only idiot opening their mouth imho is you :-)

Please, try to refrain from name calling.

Noted and accepted. My apologies for that. Just very frustrated!

• Like 1

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

‎On my phone on the forum for the first time, it detects some playable media gives media errors and also always opens keyboard

Can you share the details, possibly screenshots and details of your hardware with us? It would help our developers.

If you want, share it in a DM with me.

Thanks!

Posted (edited) · general forum feedback

Will check later when I'm on my phone again. For now, since I'm bored with studying, some of the specifics that you asked for that might help.

My flow used to be like this:

1) go to umforum.ultimaker.com and be logged in already. That can be replaced by https://ultimaker.com/en/community even though I have to login again...

Now the real problems start

2)I used to be able to see the colored UMrobots in which sections there were new posts.

Can't see a thing now.

3)The sections that didn't interest me(languages I don't speak etc) I clicked on the UMrobot to mark all as read. For the others I could see the latest topic that was posted in.

Now I can't bulk mark as read. Also I don't see the last thread. This was especially useful for UMevenings as you could see if there was one coming up or not. This was moved down one layer having to click on the section first.

4) I would middle mouse click all sections with new posts to open them in new tabs. Again I would see the colored indicators saying there was a new post yes or no. I believe I could (middle mouse) click the colored button to open the topic on the last new post. I did this for all interesting topics. Then I pressed mark all as read to dismiss the other.

I can't see which topics I've read, participated or if there are new post or the same since my last visit. Nor can I open them on the latest unread post, I actually have to search page for page until I recognize what post I read last. Nor can I dismiss all topics as read if I don't care about those.

Alternatively 5) I would open the my posts page if I didn't have that much time, and I would see all the topics I've posted in and if there were new post to read for me.

I hope you can see that 2), 3), 4) and 5) make it so that I need significantly more time to read new stuff, I also need a better memory to filter out what I had read and not.

It just hurts my work flow by at least 350%, on something I cannot justify spending time on at all.

edit: where did the full page edit/write post go, now I'm trying to structure my post in a 100px or less frame...

Edited by Guest
    • Like 3

My flow on the old forum was completely different than @titus but is as broken as his, so I will try to list my flow in a similar way to show you what could improve:

1. I use my browser based RSS reader to see what new topics have been created in the forum - broken since there is now RSS feed anymore
    2. If I found topics that interested me or where I wanted to contribute, I opened the topic in a new tab and could immediatly read the topic - broken since even if I would have a link to the topic, I would have to login first
    3. If I subscribed the post for notifications and/or replied to it, I got automatically email replies when other people where posting in that thread - broken since there is no email notification anymore - at least none that ever sent an email to me since the cutover
    4. If I got an email notification and wanted to reply, I just clicked the link in the email and would get immediatly to the first new post where I could then quickly skim over the latest posts and reply - broken since there is no email and no way to get to the new posts
    5. If I post, I could easily upload a picture to include it in my post just from the editor - broken, now I need to first upload it to a web site or into an album. If I load it into an album, I manually need to copy the album link into the insert picture URL dialog since not even the Image Gallery works UPDATE: that seems to work now at least

So if the old system was capable of catering to two such different flows, it can't be that wrong. The new one fails on both flows - and many more as far as I can tell from reading the comments here.

• Like 1

Hi Titus,

I will try to reply as efficient as possible on your workflow and hopefully give you some insight in what the new updates will do for you.

1) Log-in will be fixed.

2/3/4/5) There will be a new filter for new posts since latest visit, with the option to mark posts as read, and filtering out posts/languages you don't understand.

I think this should generate quite some overview for new posts from you?

At @reibuehl, 1) RSS is on our list, but doesn't have the highest priority.

2) Log-in will be fixed.

3) email notification is also on the list for a fast fix

4) the best method for now would be: notification > last page > scroll down.

Not ideal, but the notification bringing you to the appropriate comment will also be a quick fix

Hopefully this will help you both for now!

Sander, I'm still waiting for paasword reset fix as regards AOL.  I have communicated with your privately about it using my AOL address which I much prefer. You privately replied and asked for several days to look into the matter. NOTHING has been resolved.

Please attend to this matter. Your new, 3rd party website hosting webmaster does not apparently have the skills you were promised when you made this unwise change-over.  How tough can it be?

I also cannot receive aol NEW REGISTRATION confirm email.  And it's been over a week now. I can't even find the "resend email confirmation" button anymore. UM has now tied up 3 of my email addresses. That is simply not acceptable.

Edited by Guest

Hi Chipsample,

thank you for your post.

If you havent yet, I was under the impression our developer would reach out to you today to solve your problem on a personal level.

I don't know if I mentioned it, but we had a national holiday yesterday. And even though at Ultimaker we are used at working 7 days a week, we can not expect this from everyone ;)

Our sincere apologies for the inconvenience, I am sure it will be solved soon.

In the meantime, I will double check with our developers if he has send you an email.

Sander, I'm still waiting for paasword reset fix as regards AOL.  I have communicated with your privately about it using my AOL address which I much prefer.  You privately replied and asked for several days to look into the matter.  NOTHING has been resolved.

Please attend to this matter.  Your new, 3rd party website hosting webmaster does not apparently have the skills you were promised when you made this unwise change-over.  How tough can it be?

I also cannot receive aol NEW REGISTRATION confirm email.  And it's been over a week now.  I can't even find the "resend email confirmation" button anymore.  UM has now tied up 3 of my email addresses.  That is simply not acceptable.

And I thought I'm the only impatient guy... ;)

Let's face the truth: It will take at least another week until everybody can login properly again. Mainly because the login issue is not top priority (I guess the spam problem is, which is not completely wrong...). In addition the people responsible for fixing issues of the new forum might also be responsible for other parts of the Ultimaker web presence. I was told they are currently working 7 days per week. Actually, I prefer having the issue really fixed and not having everything else screwed up by a fast bugfix. But it should not take forever... :(

And now, I hope Ultimaker will prove me wrong... :D

Edited by Guest

The developers which should be working on enabling you to log in are also responsible for other tasks, but currently mainly focussed on the forum.

(but truth be told, in that area there is also plenty to be done)

I said we (I) work 7 days a week, but we can't demand it from everyone (i.e. the developers) . So they are, with some flexibility, limited to office hours.

Nonetheless, he should be on this issue today.

Stefan, have you received an email already?

Good to hear that I'm not the only one who doesn't like the crazy amount of white space :)I'm planning on writing a greasemonkey script to shape things up a bit the way I want it. Or possibly do it via Stylish. I'll give it a few weeks though as I don't feel like re-writing it as the site changes.

Doesn't like? DOES NOT LIKE? Who ever approved this layout for a forum needs to be shot. Really. Information density is important. Right now the information density is as low as fuck. Whoever made and approved this layout does not know anything about forums, and most likely never used a forum before.

First Page:

https://ultimaker.com/en/community

Should look (at minimal) like this:

http://i.imgur.com/IC1fqsx.png

Less subfora. Less crap. Higher information density. Links visible as links (yes, those grey sections where links already!)

The right area still needs some use with latest post info.

A subfora view should look more like this:

http://i.imgur.com/7dHFnb4.png

Instead of the "everything is white" like this:

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/general/general-discussion

And then I'm not even talking about the bugs and usability problems.

The new post dialog is also crap, it's smaller then everything else, giving you the lowest information density on just about any part of the forum. I just typed a whole rant here. And I can see whooping 5 lines of it.

EDIT: Holy shit, piece of crap does not even convert links on it's own. Sorry, you'll have to copy paste those links yourself.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 7

The developers which should be working on enabling you to log in are also responsible for other tasks, but currently mainly focussed on the forum.

(but truth be told, in that area there is also plenty to be done)

I said we (I) work 7 days a week, but we can't demand it from everyone (i.e. the developers) . So they are, with some flexibility, limited to office hours.

Nonetheless, he should be on this issue today.

Stefan, have you received an email already?

Just from another UM forum user telling me he cannot login but not something like a solution from the developer...

Well, if the developer would have a similar attitude as you, he would also work 7 days a week to solve the problems, wouldn't he? ;)

If the developers could themselves not login, they would have fixed it quickly, no?

Unfortunately, it is the good guys like Personal Drones and Dim3nsioneer who cannot login.

Hmm.. I know for a fact, from a secret source (kidding!), that several UM insider people lost priceless research in the closure of the old forum.

EDIT: I lost my messages, I know many others must have lost theirs, and yes, I admit I was warned, so no complaining on it! Thanks SandervG  and sorry.

Edited by Guest

@Daid: Everything ok? Just breathe slowly... ;)

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

They are on it, I am sure a solution should be found soon.

There is not a lot more that I can say at the moment.

I had a confirmation this afternoon that our developer would focus on this issue, so I assume he has.

Fill me in what you mean by lost research. That shouldn't be the case and should be retrieved.

A subfora view should look more like this:

http://i.imgur.com/7dHFnb4.png

Instead of the "everything is white" like this:

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/general/general-discussion

and please reduce that crazy number of mini avatars (100 to 200 per page)

I'm feeling like in a bubble tea shop ...

better like this:

553fa295aa40f.jpg

Edited by Guest

Thank you for the feedback.

Currently my colleague who I would prefer to discuss this with is out of the office this week. I would happily discuss this iteration when he is back.

I personally prefer to add 1 line of what the last reply is about per topic.

What do you think?

Why not discuss it with anyone from R&D who have interaction design experience on 2D GUI? I have had quite a bit of formal education about it and there are several people here who have quite a bit of experience with it.

• Like 1

Uhm...guys...this public discussion... I have a very bad feeling about this...

scared-smiley-emoticon.gif

• Like 1

it's interesting when even the UM people start replying with things like "the person that designed this should be shot"

I'm just happy i'mm not the only unhappy cookie :)

• Like 2

I have a vbulletin license if Ultimaker want to put it to use :)

I threw this up in half hour so you can all dream of what a forum should look like on an old domain im not using 3dprinting.bar :)

• Like 1

I personally prefer to add 1 line of what the last reply is about per topic.

What do you think?

... agree

@Daid It might just be me, but I laughed so hard at that. Calling out extremes is what I tend to do too when I disagree with something so badly.

But yeah

Hi Titus,

2/3/4/5) There will be a new filter for new posts since latest visit, with the option to mark posts as read, and filtering out posts/languages you don't understand.

I'm not sure if you understand my flow correctly. The point you address is actually point 6) Another alternative way of watching all new posts. Some other people out here were doing that, I personally hated that because I wanted to know the context and location of the post.

5) is different from 6) in the sense that 5) only involves new posts in topics that I'm tracking since I posted in them. Whereas 6) tracks all new posts.

2/3/4) are different from 6) in the way that I could filter on 2 levels, sections and topics. Also topics would make more sense if I knew what section they were in, and 6) didn't really do that for me in the old forum.

So if I understand correctly, my flow of 2/3/4/5) would still be missing. But you mentioned a fix on 6) which is nice for quite some people I've read, but not for my workflow or for @reibuehl

@SandervG Just make sure you are answering the actual questions, not telling the same "we are working on this and that and also this because we think this and that" story all the time. This post might not have been the best example, but I keep having the idea that you are either dancing around things like your hands/mouth are/is tied/taped shut, or just not paying attention at the right things in peoples posts and thoughts

• Like 2

Doesn't like? DOES NOT LIKE?

Oh trust me Daid, I'm biting my tongue so hard it's full of blisters lol. I did make a script that makes the forum view look similar to what you posted btw, it should be a few pages back somewhere.

I'm putting myself in "if you don't have anything nice to say"-mode, because if I let loose... yeah...

• Like 2

I have a vbulletin license if Ultimaker want to put it to use :)

I threw this up in half hour so you can all dream of what a forum should look like on an old domain im not using 3dprinting.bar  :)

lol; I bet even phpbb3 would b better.

• Like 1