Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade

Posted · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade
3 minutes ago, rajilpahuja said:

Spring ve alu ring makes a big difference , and you can get that fan mount on aliexpress real cheap from san brother store, their representative alinda qi is very helpful, rest all you have is awesum and great.

What is the improvement of the alu ring, what does it change resp. what’s worse with spring?

21 minutes ago, rajilpahuja said:

The filament path is more rigid and straight, which gives you beautiful and error free prints, with spring it has the space for movement.

Ok, you mean the print head top and bottom plate are not only connected with the alu grid next to the hotend fan but also with alu ring + ptfe + steel Isolator as a static element.

That makes sense. Can’t find it as replacement part separately, though.

I SUGGEST YOU GO TO ALIEXPRESS AND GO TO THE SAN BROTHER STORE, YOU WILL GET ALL SPARES THAT ARE NEEDED AND CHEAP, PLUS THEIR QUALITY IS BETTER THAN OTHER STORES, I BOUGHT MY SPARES THERE, THEIR REPRESENTATIVE ALINDA QI IS VERY HELPFUL, SHE WILL GET YOU ALL THAT U NEED FAST, I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND THEM IF THEIR SERVICE AND PARTS WEREN'T GOOD, I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND THEIR FEEDER AS BONDTECH IS THE BEST IN MY OPINION, AND 3D SOLEX IS REALLY KING OF NOZZLES AND UM BLOCKS AT THE MOMENT.

20 minutes ago, conny_g said:

Ok, you mean the print head top and bottom plate are not only connected with the alu grid next to the hotend fan but also with alu ring + ptfe + steel Isolator as a static element.

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade
    6 minutes ago, conny_g said:

EVERYTHING IS POSSIBLE, BUT ITS REALLY UPTO YOU, AND WHAT KIND OF QUALITY IS ACCEPTABLE, FOR ME PERSONALLY FINE DETAILS MATTER, BUT MAYBE THOSE SAME DETAILS DON'T MATTER WITH YOU, SO YOU CAN TRY THIS AS WELL PERHAPS YOU MIGHT GET GOOD RESULTS AND IF YOU DO PLEASE SHARE WITH US TOO :)

Edited by rajilpahuja

26 minutes ago, rajilpahuja said:

EVERYTHING IS POSSIBLE, BUT ITS REALLY UPTO YOU, AND WHAT KIND OF QUALITY IS ACCEPTABLE, FOR ME PERSONALLY FINE DETAILS MATTER, BUT MAYBE THOSE SAME DETAILS DON'T MATTER WITH YOU, SO YOU CAN TRY THIS AS WELL PERHAPS YOU MIGHT GET GOOD RESULTS AND IF YOU DO PLEASE SHARE WITH US TOO :)

Why are you yelling at me?

https://newrepublic.com/article/117390/netiquette-capitalization-how-caps-became-code-yelling

• Like 2

2 hours ago, conny_g said:

ain't yelling my man, why would i yell ? if the capital alphabets is what makes you feel i am yelling, those are kept on for my programming, cause that uses caps, no hard feelings there

18 hours ago, conny_g said:

What is the improvement of the alu ring, what does it change resp. what’s worse with spring?

The ridgid spacer, which you can just as easily print yourself using one of the models @conny_g linked to, will prevent the PTFE/TFM coupler from "lifting" causing internal leaks of hot filament that will, over time, degrade the coupler prematurely.

With that spacer and the newer TFM coupler you can easily print thousands of hours before replacing it.

17 hours ago, conny_g said:

You can get it from your nearest Ultimaker reseller also. They may not have it listed in their webshops...but they sell it...since its a spare part for your UM2+.

(Here is the part in the Swedish resellers store)

Note: This model is created by the inventor of the Olsson Block...so you can be sure it works :)

Side note: Yes @rajilpahuja, using all capitals is commonly considered "screaming" and most people do not like it, or skip reading such posts ;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nilrog said:

Note: This model is created by the inventor of the Olsson Block...so you can be sure it works :)

Yes, I know. I think I'll try the printed one before ordering it as a replacement part.

23 hours ago, conny_g said:

[....]

Fans and cabling:

• one was a different hotend Fan and how it’s connected (UM2 always on, UM2+ controlled by firmware?) ? Is it the same fan? 
    • The fan shroud is optimized on the 2+. Could print one.
    • And wasn’t there something with the model fans, too? Are they same or different?

The questions about the hotend are answered, thank you!

What about my questions about the fan setup UM2 vs. UM2+?

I found that I can order the fan shroud if I wanted the identical one, but I am not sure about the fans and their cabling.

Afaik the fans are the same...or possibly a slightly better model...the BOM on GitHub doesn't specify which model they use.

The cabling is the same though...because you can order the extrusion upgrade for the UM2 which is a drop-in replacement for the old UM2 printhead. You just swap out the old one with cables and put the new one in place with it's cables.

The fan on the back can be controlled by software...but it depends on the version of the mainboard afaik. Other than that there is no difference, afaik.

29 minutes ago, nilrog said:

Afaik the fans are the same...or possibly a slightly better model...the BOM on GitHub doesn't specify which model they use.

The cabling is the same though...because you can order the extrusion upgrade for the UM2 which is a drop-in replacement for the old UM2 printhead. You just swap out the old one with cables and put the new one in place with it's cables.

And that's why I thought they are different, I have used a extrusion upgrade and the fan wiring was different as far as I remember. I could check the UM2 drivetrain and compare to photos of the extrusion upgrade.
    Just spend some time googling for images / descriptions of cabling UM2 vs. UM2+, unfortunately not too much to be found, especially nothing about UM2.

Ah, there it is!!

Extrusion upgrade kit:
    There's wires for:

- heater
    - temp
    - fan hotend (blue / orange)

- fan model (green / yellow)

ExtrusionUpgrade.thumb.png.b916f08156fa053787b1f8ea8e8aea47.png

And my "old" UM2 hotend has the following cables:

- heater

- temp

- J34 / hotend fand (blue / orange)

- "fan" (brown/red)

- fan PWM (green/yellow)

fullsizeoutput_1af3.jpeg

Where the "fan PWM" went to J14 (next to the LED PWM port) and the "fan" connector went to that J20 19-24V Fan port (right side)

68s9IB5.jpg

On the hotend there's just red/black wires at the fans, so the "magic" happens in the cable hose. 
    Let me see. The green/yellow are putting the two model fans in series as they do in the UM2+ hotend.

INCREDIBLE!! The brown/red is not connected, I could just pull it out of the hose!!

So the answer to my question is: the fans are identical, the wiring is identical, there is just a unused "phantom" cable in the UM2 hotend :-)

Ha! :-)

• Like 1

Ok, so in summary these are the changes of the extrusion upgrade:

- New feeder (I use Bondtechs anyway)
    - improved fan shroud (will buy one)

- fixed coupler instead of spring in the hotend (will print one)

- stronger heater 35W vs. 25W (ordered 3D Solex 50W)
    - Olsson block (using 3D Solex Matchless V3)

So I am covered, there is no changes I cannot cover with the old hotend, so I can reuse it without restrictions.

Happy!

On 14-1-2018 at 12:28 PM, conny_g said:

What where the differences of the UM2+ upgrade again?

Feeder

• don’t care, will use a Bondtech  >   Yep, that will work fine

Print head

• Olsson block - don’t care, will covert to 3D Solex Matchless V3. Is it possible to mod the UM2 head with that?  Yes, though I'm not sure there will be any benefit vs a standard Olsson block
    • Stronger heater - already ordered a set of 50W, I wonder if 2x 50W will get you into trouble with the available power, power management is an issue for some people already
    • Spring vs. alu ring above the coupler - does that make a difference? The difference is in the life span of the PTFE, with the alu ring it will last longer if used correctly, if not used correctly you may have a increased risk of leakage, You can also print this spacer iso getting the alu one, models on YouMagine

Fans and cabling:

• one was a different hotend Fan and how it’s connected (UM2 always on, UM2+ controlled by firmware?) ? Is it the same fan?  If you connect the 2th head directly it will be always on, if you use the extra electronics board of Mark2 it will be controlled (both hot end fan and side fan)
    • The fan shroud is optimized on the 2+. Could print one. indeed, i like this one; https://www.youmagine.com/designs/um2-dual-nozzle-fan-shroud
    • And wasn’t there something with the model fans, too? Are they same or different? you mean the side fans? think they are the same, they need to support PWM, when you get the Mark2 electronics board they will be controlled separately, otherwise the fans of head 1 and 2 will always be on at the same time (=more noise even when printing single extrusion, so get the electronics board...) 
    • Like 2

14 minutes ago, ultiarjan said:

Print head

• Olsson block - don’t care, will covert to 3D Solex Matchless V3. Is it possible to mod the UM2 head with that?  Yes, though I'm not sure there will be any benefit vs a standard Olsson block
    • Stronger heater - already ordered a set of 50W, I wonder if 2x 50W will get you into trouble with the available power, power management is an issue for some people already

3D Solex Matchless V3:

Yes, I am using them on my two printers, one Mark 2 and one UM2+ (upgraded from UM2) and they are "good", but not as "magic" as promised. I think the temperatures are slightly lower than before, but I can't really print very much faster than before. Maybe 10-20%. They are slightly easier to clean with the chrome plating. So they are "good", but not "magic". Now that I am there I'll stay there and have only 1 type of nozzles.

Stronger heater: On my Mark 2 I am using a power supply that provides some 100W more than the original Ultimaker one, it has 15A (360W). So that should be ok. Haven't had any power outages any more since then.

• Like 1

This one, btw:
    https://de.aliexpress.com/item/3D-Prnter-Power-For-Ultimaker-2-UM2-Extended-Power-Supply-3D-Printer-Parts-24V-15A-Top/32707066340.html
    Works for one year without issues now.

Edited by conny_g
    • Like 1

Where can I buy the Mark2 extension board again....?

Ah, I found it... IdeaTo3D in Belgium. I actually now ordered most of the parts (and the Mark expansion board kit) at Didier Klein's shop. ;-)

Hey guys,

Just got Mark2 working. Thanks for everyone's effort in this project.

Still trying to get it work better but I thought I could share some of the accessories I made for Mark2.

DSC08012.thumb.jpg.2e13385faeea9da440431a1b6f3a1737.jpg

Extruder: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2289203

Top Spool mount: https://www.youmagine.com/designs/spool-holder-mount-for-ultimaker-2

Bowden Tube Hook: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2154124

Filament Guide Roller: https://www.youmagine.com/designs/filament-guide-roller-for-um2

Modified Mark2 Parts: https://www.youmagine.com/designs/mark2-modified-parts

Edited by yyh1002
    • Like 3

Wow.  I love your feeder design over on thingiverse.  Nice.

13 minutes ago, gr5 said:

Wow.  I love your feeder design over on thingiverse.  Nice.

@yyh1002 Yeah pretty sweet...Just waiting on a few more parts and I'm joining the Mark2 club :)

Nice job on the mods. I just downloaded them for when I'm ready. Thanks!!!

Everything ready to convert my 2nd printer to Mark 2. :sunglass:

fullsizeoutput_1b70.jpeg

• Like 3