Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
SandervG

New: Ultimaker Cura 3.5

Recommended Posts

Ultimaker Cura 3.5 is ready and its waiting for you! It comes with new features, bug fixes and UX improvements.

As always you can download it for free from our website, whether you run Windows, MacOS or Linux. 

 

So what does Ultimaker Cura 3.5 have in stock for you? A few of the highlights:

 

Prime tower reliability

The prime tower has been subjective to quite some changes and improvements over the last period of time. We strive to make it as space and time efficient as possible while also making it more reliable (i.e., less prone to tipping over). In our latest improvement, a prime tower has 2 sets of walls. The outer wall which is printed by extruder 1 which functions as a purge bin for extruder 2. This makes the prime tower more reliable because there is less layer bonding between different materials.

 

Improved overhang wall processing

When overhang walls are detected, they're printed with varying speed and perimeters will not start on an overhang wall. This should result in higher quality overhang surfaces. 

 

Material preferences

When you often use a similar set of materials, you can now set them as favorites and save yourself some time! They can be quickly accessed in the material selection. 

 

Custom support.

Inspired by, and similar to the support blocker you can now also create custom support with Ultimaker Cura 3.5. It works just like the blocker, select the area on your model where you want to add custom support using (small) blocks, and voila. 

 

Ultimaker Cura settings guide.

Very excited about this new guide. In the toolbox you can find a new plugin called 'Cura settings guide'. When it opens you can find all features in Cura and a more descriptive explanation about what it does and how it works. Most of the times accompanied by a visual example. 

 

But there is more! 

 

User Experience

- Hotkeys; quickly toggle through model manipulation tools (generally on your left) using hotkeys. 

- File menu; 'Save' now saves projects, and 'export' saves models as other file types. 

- 3MF project files; it's time to say goodbye to '.curaproject' types. Project files now use a 3MF extension instead. 

- 'Open recent' is added to the menu now too. 

- Monitor page; not just Cura but also Cura Connect has been updated. The print jobs interface has been improved so there would be less switching between tabs. 

 

Slicing enhancements

- Initial layer support line distance, users can now configure the density of the first layer of support structures. Allowing you to reduce or increase adhesion to the buildplate and overal strength. 

- Fan speed override; with this new setting the fan speed can be modified on bridged areas where support is used. Note: this only works when support is enabled. 

 

Bug fixes

For better stability and performance, we have fixed a variety of bugs in this release. Including excess M109 commands in GCODE, unnecessary travel movements, extra skin wall count, the order of printed models, and many more. For a full rundown of bug fixes, please view the release notes.

 

Last but not least, a big thank you to @smartavionics, @ahoeben, @bagel-orb, Kriechi, MarmaladeForMeat and Cubiq. You are vital to the development and progress of Ultimaker Cura. Also a thank you to everyone who helped us beta test Ultimaker Cura 3.5 Beta. Without you, we wouldn't be able to release the stable version today. 

 

Convinced? Download Ultimaker Cura 3.5 right here.

Need more information? Here is our blog and here are the release notes.

 

Please let us know what you think below! 🙂

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, zerspaner_gerd said:

Cura Settings Guide

With activated theme "Ultimaker Dark" you can not see the settings!

 

1969531971_CuraSettingsGuide.thumb.JPG.ab574636e059139742008f22eeed4980.JPG

 

Thanks for notifying us. I'll forward it to the teams! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SandervG said:

 

Thanks for notifying us. I'll forward it to the teams! 

 

Luckily it's a plugin, so it can easily be updated by the plugin author (indeed some Cura team members in this case) and distributed through the Toolbox!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Selecting the new "Creality Ender 3" as printer from the list results in underextrusion. For reference I used exactly the same profile but this time I selected "Creality CR-10" and changed the settings to match the Ender 3 and it worked perfectly.

 

Is this a bug or did I just miss some settings?

Edited by cashy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the blog post:

Quote

We’ve retired the ‘.curaproject’ extension. Project files now use a 3MF extension, for better compatibility between other 3D software applications.

 

There was never a ".curaproject" extension.There was a ".curaproject.3mf" double extension, but there's been a bug since forever on OSX where double extensions would become quadruple extensions. This has nothing to do with compatibility between other 3D software applications.

 

Who writes this, and why is it not checked by anyone who knows it is nonsense?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been using Cura 3.4.1 for two months. I installed 3.5.0 when prompted, but none of my profiles, materials or printer setup is in the new version.

 

I tried the backup/restore plug in. No Good.

I tried copying the definitions folder from 3.4.1 to 4.5.0. No Good.

 

?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey there, first of all: thanks for the great work!

 

BUT:

 

You disabled the ability to set the diameter in the sidebar. I now have to create a profile (wich is fine for me) but the profile doesn't seem to have any effect on the print settings at all. I tried to use the little "Fx" button to let Cura calculate the value but that doesn't do the job for temperatures or anything else i set in the material profile. As long as it doesn't use the diameter i set it into, this version is unusable for me (and for many many others cause it is a BIG difference to use the actual diameter wich is not always close to 1.75!...Yes...i don't have an Ultimaker like many many other users. I use the TronXY X5S and the Creality Ender 3 and nearly all the people in the FB groups use Cura too). Oh and by the way...It would be nice to actually show the color i set for the material in the drop down menu. Makes it easier to choose the right color when you have lots of profiles. ...keep up the good work and thanks for the Ender 3 profile in this new version (the filament diameter for the Ender 3 is not 2,85mm btw...not problem for me but people like Cashy in one of the previous posts will have a hard time finding the issue ;) it needs to be 1.75mm) .......................keep up the good work!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, cashy said:

Selecting the new "Creality Ender 3" as printer from the list results in underextrusion. For reference I used exactly the same profile but this time I selected "Creality CR-10" and changed the settings to match the Ender 3 and it worked perfectly.

 

Is this a bug or did I just miss some settings?

The filament diameter for the Ender 3 is wrong by default in the Cura profile. Go to the machine settings for the Ender, choose the tab "Extruder 1" and change the setting for "Compatible filament diameter" from 2.85mm to 1.75mm. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't view anything but the name of the printer and the extruders materials in the 'Monitor' tab.

I can't see the 'stop' and 'pause' buttons (stop button never worked)

Is there another way to stop a print?

The printer is printing but for Cura there are no jobs running...same thing for the web monitor.Immagine.thumb.jpg.9d8a0623057f9f30997457f859616b84.jpg

Edited by dextop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ahoeben said:

 

Who writes this, and why is it not checked by anyone who knows it is nonsense?

 

 

My forum post and the blog are usually based on release notes from Jira tickets etc. What I understand is that by dropping the .curaproject extension, and replacing it by 3mf the project files are compatible with more 3D software applications, and it got rid of that bug. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, OttoRenner said:

The filament diameter for the Ender 3 is wrong by default in the Cura profile. Go to the machine settings for the Ender, choose the tab "Extruder 1" and change the setting for "Compatible filament diameter" from 2.85mm to 1.75mm. 

 

This has since been solved on the master branch and will make it's way into the next release of Cura.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dextop said:

I can't view anything but the name of the printer and the extruders materials in the 'Monitor' tab.

I can't see the 'stop' and 'pause' buttons (stop button never worked)

Is there another way to stop a print?

The printer is printing but for Cura there are no jobs running...same thing for the web monitor.Immagine.thumb.jpg.9d8a0623057f9f30997457f859616b84.jpg

 

You can try a 'Cura Connect reset' which is available via the printer's settings menu.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, James777 said:

I have been using Cura 3.4.1 for two months. I installed 3.5.0 when prompted, but none of my profiles, materials or printer setup is in the new version.

 

I tried the backup/restore plug in. No Good.

I tried copying the definitions folder from 3.4.1 to 4.5.0. No Good.

 

?

Can you share the logs? Cura is supposed to upgrade your old configs to the new version, so something must have gone wrong in that process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SandervG said:

What I understand is that by dropping the .curaproject extension, and replacing it by 3mf the project files are compatible with more 3D software applications, and it got rid of that bug. 

 

And what I am saying is that your understanding is wrong, and I would suggest (again) that these texts are checked by engineers who pick out the crap. The original line, as it is in the Changelog is: " A 3MF extension is now used for project files. The ‘.curaproject’ extension is no longer used. ". The "better compatibility with 3d software applications" is just incorrect embellishment. There was an issue on OSX where Cura would create confusing filenames. That was fixed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ctbeke said:

Can you share the logs? Cura is supposed to upgrade your old configs to the new version, so something must have gone wrong in that process.

 

Here is the log file for 3.5.0. The install did select my printer but only with the default setup. I had modified it including changing several things in the start and stop gcode and had a second modified version of the printer setup. I did start installing some plugins, but when I realized I would have to edit all the profiles, printer settings that I had tweeked etc, I stopped.

 

cura.log

 

In the meantime I am still using 3.4.1, as it never uninstalled (or asked to uninstall) the previous version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, James777 said:

 

Here is the log file for 3.5.0. The install did select my printer but only with the default setup. I had modified it including changing several things in the start and stop gcode and had a second modified version of the printer setup. I did start installing some plugins, but when I realized I would have to edit all the profiles, printer settings that I had tweeked etc, I stopped.

 

cura.log

 

In the meantime I am still using 3.4.1, as it never uninstalled (or asked to uninstall) the previous version.

 

I see several errors:

 

  • serial.serialutil.SerialException: could not open port 'COM5': PermissionError(13, 'Access is denied.', None, 5)
  • cura.Machines.MaterialManager.__addMaterialMetadataIntoLookupTree [255]: Material custom_material_cartesio_0.4_mm contains a variant 0.4 mm that does not exist. It will not be added into the material lookup tree.
  • UM.VersionUpgradeManager._getUpgradeTasks [278]: Config file [.\Monoprice+Select+Mini+V2+%28E3D%29_user.inst.cfg] is of version [4000005], which is different from the defined version [2000000], no upgrade task for it from type [user].

I've forwarded it to the developers as well (I'm currently not working on Cura).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community of 3D printing experts. Visit the following links to read more about our Terms of Use or our Privacy Policy. Thank you!