A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?

ian

Posted · A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?

-That shattered glass was awesome! Sucks, I know, but too cool :)

-That machine gun is the very definition of overkill, very nice.

-HP Printer is sweet. Also, looking close at what Autodesk is doing, and how it looks like their positioning themselves to be key players in 3D printing. Looks like more of a long term plan, but if you read between the lines....

-Sucks that skint may get fired...

Was printing for 2 days now with one of the bowden clips on one of the UM2's MISSING! Was noticing slight issues... went to do a cold pull today and noticed there was no blue clip on the head unit! That would explain some of the problems I was having :p Seriously though, I thought I'd have more problems with a missing clip. I had just changed out my XY rods yesterday morning and forgot to put the clip back on. Printed a couple of heavy retraction prints with the missing clip :)

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/7383-first-layer-fail/

becasue the head would move up and down along the XY. Was very easy to change...just loosen the pully set screws and slide the new rods in through, while pushing the old rods out. Front to back rods was a little different, but they were just as easy. Works good now.

Got this in an email from Imaker yesterday

"To stay true to its core values, iMakr has decided to stop selling the latest generation of MakerBot (Stratasys, Inc. NASDAQ: SSYS) 3D Printers (Replicator 5th Generation and Replicator Z18) following negative feedback from its customers. iMakr will of course continue to support its existing customers who have previously purchased these products."

@Corey, i popped into the imakr store in london last week.. I have to say that the UM2`s were all printing away and the MB`s were not... the shop manager also suggested that sales of the UM2s are way outperforming those of the MB. No surprise huh!

It sucks that our local shop still cant be a reseller of Ultimakers... Why is it not happening in Canada yet?

@Corey, i popped into the imakr store in london last week.. I have to say that the UM2`s were all printing away and the MB`s were not... the shop manager also suggested that sales of the UM2s are way outperforming those of the MB. No surprise huh!

Lovely news for UM!

Given the fair chance, they are so way ahead of the competition, in almost every aspect.

As the news of me having the 3D printer are spreading around, I'm giving some lectures and consulting people here and there. My message is - even today, after getting know the 3D printing much better than a year ago, and with all the remaining problems of my UM2 (unresolved yet, should be said), I would by the UM2 again, with no doubt!

Hope, the customers in the US will finally understand that, too.

I hade the same type of information from MakerShop in France... and strangely i never have positive feedback on MB users...

and strangely i never have positive feedback on MB users...

Same here but more specifically about the 5th gen

Yes true it seems that the original replicator 2 is not that bad... yesterday i looked a bit on one of the makerbot subjects about tweaking the z18... all the comments were: "My z18 doesn't work please help", and some guy answering "we're sorry to hear you have a negative experience with the z18. Please contact support".

Today: Got Fired :???:

Tomorrow: Going to 3D print myself a new job...somehow :shock:

:(

Hey Skint, you saw it coming so I hope you are a bit prepared for it. As much one can be for such a sucky situation :(

I hope you'll find something soon. And if not, remember, selfemployment isn't as bad as it sounds. Especially if you've got the skills and know how to be part of an emerging market. If one would only have an 3D printer... :)

Your right Nico, it was coming for a long time to be honest! Kinda excited but weird not going to get paid for a while. At least plenty of time to play with the UM2 now :)

Maybe it's better to view that as an opportunity to move along and do something else/better, anyway i'm sure you'll bounce back and show them your t800 finger in a couple of weeks :p

Take care mate

ouch, sorry to hear that Skint!

Lets hope it opens up some new doors for you, exciting times up ahead so there should be plenty :)

Have you made any plans or are you going to take a deep breath and figure out what your

ultimate goal is?

And so it begins...

snow141106

:cry:

@Robert: That's why I have a small but fine collection of single malt whisky at home... and in Switzerland we have delicious (cheese) fondue for this time coming... :grin:

@Dim3nsioneer Amateur of fine whisky here too and in belgium with delicious chocolate ^^

But chocolate goes for the whole year... :lol:

hmmm yes indeed... what about hot chocolate fondue? :p

It sucks that our local shop still cant be a reseller of Ultimakers... Why is it not happening in Canada yet?

Yeah I can't wait until they start distributing Ultimakers in Canada, would be nice to not have to pay the higher shipping costs as I'm thinking of getting a second one in the new year.

That doesn't surprise me about the 5th generation MBs, after extensive research I found mostly negative reviews and horror stories about people having to get multiple smart extruders sent to them because they failed again and again.

I have to say that after putting over 200+ hours on my UM2 since I got it a month ago, I am more than pleased with my purchase.

I dont know where you get your filaments from but if you didn't find it yet there is Voxel Factory in Montreal. It might be your best bet for low shipping costs. The owners are great and they have almost every Colorfabb products (but not always in high quantities)

I dont know where you get your filaments from but if you didn't find it yet there is Voxel Factory in Montreal. It might be your best bet for low shipping costs. The owners are great and they have almost every Colorfabb products (but not always in high quantities)

I'm not sure if it was you or someone else that tipped me off to them, but I have ordered 3 spools from them already and with a $15 shipping cost, I got them 2 days later. Have to say I'm very impressed and thankful for the suggestion as $40 a roll is quite reasonable. So thank you!