A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?

ian

Posted · A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?

@Sander... Not 100% sure what I'll be doing but I'll try to enjoy the journey :)

@Pm_dude...snowboarding mmmm. I will be lucky to go this Christmas lol, unless my ultimate job happens quickly :p. Never boarded in Canada though! Always the Alps for me,

Well I can't go to the Alps every weekends as you can imagine :p but Canada and US have some nice places (not the best places but still good) to go in my area. A wide range of places between 20 mins to 2-3 hours away from home.

Lucky pm_dude, closest I have is the snowdome which is a real snow practice park but is only about 200 meters long lol, up and down in 2 minutes :p.

Hope your not joining the dark side Cor? Ski's

There is nothing good about winter. I absolutely hate it. Sure, it can look pretty, but I'd take rain every single day of the winter months if that's what it took to avoid the cold, the scraping of ice on the car, clearing snow from said car, dressing in 400 layers, wet pants from melting snow etc etc. Oh and don't get me started on the near perpetual darkness. Bleh!

@UltiArjan: I would be doing that if it wasn't for a car salesman doing his very best to perpetuate the "myth" that car salesmen are scum. Bought a "new" car (2011), part of the deal was snow tires and alu rims, went to pick up the car and tires and the rims look like they've been through a war. I give him a "are you fucking kidding me?" reaction. Eventually says he'll try to find better ones. Three weeks later and he's blaming not being able to find ones that fit, being at a seminar etc etc. You work at a place that sells cars, you have a whole room full of rims and you want me to believe you can't find any that fit?! Gah.

There, rant over *exhales loudly*

I'm not sure if it was you or someone else that tipped me off to them, but I have ordered 3 spools from them already and with a $15 shipping cost, I got them 2 days later. Have to say I'm very impressed and thankful for the suggestion as $40 a roll is quite reasonable. So thank you!

I think that was me! I like voxel, but they don't have some stuff in stock so I'm trying http://filaments.ca/ now.. They seem fast but I don't like how they don't show their stock like voxel does.

Yes that's right Valcrow, sorry I have a terrible memory. :-)

I think I might try some of the Taulman next or maybe some Ninja Flex from Voxel, but I'm skeptical if their cheap ABS will work with the UM2. Let me know how filaments.ca works out.

I'm skeptical if their cheap ABS will work with the UM2

It didn't for me. Too big and inconsistent diameter. Orbitech ABS did work for the small test I did but can't find it on their site.

Yes that's right Valcrow, sorry I have a terrible memory. :smile:

I think I might try some of the Taulman next or maybe some Ninja Flex from Voxel, but I'm skeptical if their cheap ABS will work with the UM2. Let me know how filaments.ca works out.

Thats funny because that's exactly what I ordered from filaments.ca. some Red ninjaflex and Taulman clear + blue.

Voxel was out of clear taulman which is why I went with filaments.ca. Their ninja is a bit less expensive though, but free shipping with 125$ order.

I've been using the cheap PLA from voxel for a while now, the silver and the white. The silver is slightly higher temperature than normal PLA which gets you sharper corners. But it tends to gunk the nozzle eventually. The white is unnaturally matte, which I like. It doesn't stick very well to tape but otherwise quite good. The problem with it though is its 3.0mm +- 0.08. So it MAY get rather tight in the bowden. I only use this stuff on my UMO. UM2 gets Um filament. :p

... Did anyone visit the website of http://makezine.com/ recently..? :cool: :grin:

I just did and apart from the annoying "the results are in, sign up for a free pdf preview" banner that I couldn't click away, I didn't see anything Ultimaker related.

If you fill in the popup you get a pdf link that show's the UM2 scored very well in their test's

If you fill in the popup you get a pdf link that show's the UM2 scored very well in their test's

Very well??

WE WON!!!! :-P :mrgreen: :grin: :D :lol:

Out of 26 popular printers the Ultimaker 2 was acknowledged as the best Printer available!!

You guys all have the best printer available!! :D Congratulations!

Very well??

WE WON!!!! :-P :mrgreen: :grin: :D :lol:

Out of 26 popular printers the Ultimaker 2 was acknowledged as the best Printer available!!

You guys all have the best printer available!! :D Congratulations!

LOL i did not won't to spoil it for anyone :grin:

http://cdn.makezine.com/make/magazine/V42-preview.pdf

I don't have the best printer available :O :(? UMO rocks!

Oh well, exams are done. Finally some time to do other stuff, like wait until nightfall to finally make awesome pictures of my coolest print up to date :D Tease tease, guess what!

Congratulations guys, it's a well deserved winner. :)

I don't have the best printer available :O :(? UMO rocks!

Oh well, exams are done. Finally some time to do other stuff, like wait until nightfall to finally make awesome pictures of my coolest print up to date :D Tease tease, guess what!

Lol, I knew someone would say that :p

hmmmm what have you made... glow in the dark? a light shade? a bat-signal?

What is ittttt :blink:

Sweet!! grats UM!

I'm not sure I agree with the cons tho:

Hidden Costs

=Proprietary consumables (pretty sure we can use open filaments!)

Limitations

= Limited

software settings, (if you never turn on expert settings... but they also mention, you don't need to use cura)

no user temperature

control, or intention (but.. but that's controlled on the machine itself!)

-

ally restrictive warranty

regarding material

I guess they can't have all Pros and no Cons. :p

Nice! Congrats UM

ally restrictive warranty

regarding material

regarding that last con. I guess this is there just because you could want to use soldering filament in your printer and it would melt your nozzle... Or maybe you want to try to print some other extra abrasive stuff with your printer.

nooo it is entirely different..

Initially it got me confused as well, but it is just (no offence Make!!!!!) not-so-clever designed.

It is just an overview of what the kind of badges they have used to describe all the printers.

They are not about Ultimaker..

They are not about Ultimaker..

This scares me. If someone as smart as valcrow who actually owns a UM2 got confused, how many others misunderstood also? The UM2 had no cons. ZERO CONS! Look at it again.

Hopefully anyone serious about buying a 3d printer will compare the UM2 to another brand and notice the little tiny badges and figure out that the first page only describes the badges, not the UM2.

This kind of thing just baffles me. When I did my research a while back and literally had a spreadsheet for every 3d printer available that was within the price range of the UM2, there wasn't a single printer that came close to it. You could go a little cheaper if you wanted to sacrifice something, but in the end it was apparent the UM2 was the one to buy.

And it looks so FANCY!! Imagine a print farm of UM2s? One can dream. Although I'm going to buy a 2nd one in the new year, no matter what kind of bitching I have to hear from my bank account.