A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?

ian

Posted · A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?

Visited "dutch design week" today. Had a look at project egg and did a factory tour in the new shapeways factory in eindhoven. They have some impressive sls machines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2k3mx3JX24

He had to have known that if he lived in a country where guns are illegal, 3D printing them would ALSO be illegal. I'm fortunate enough to live in a country where we have the privileged of 3D printing guns for personal use, but with that privileged comes responsibility.

Looks like his experiment backfired. :cool:

2 of todays important VIP visitors....

Marit and little Ultimakerrobot :)

DSCN2372

DSCN2369

I'm printing the Mk 44 from Destiny, but this thing is something else :O

http://www.myminifactory.com/object/thunderlord-from-destiny-3108

My god ^^: Time to do

11760 - 11800 minutes

Must be fun to make soooooo big

In other news, @Sander @Ultimaker, check this out, a flying AED drone with sweet UM2 coverage @ 2:31

Wow, super cool! I am gonna reach out to them.

Thanks Titus!

The stirling engine is pretty cool yeah!

Welcome :) I walked by the shoot so I saw what they were doing and making, but not that it was (partially). Perhaps it's a idea to contact PMB(the lab/workshop) @ Industrial Design too, they have UM's for these kind of (and bachelor) projects. Who knows what kind of interesting projects other students are working on. If you stop by in Delft, let me know :)

Also Sander (A), when is the post about the next ulti-evening coming online. I was just thinking of the topic when I saw this post:

In other news, @Sander @Ultimaker, check this out, a flying AED drone with sweet UM2 coverage @ 2:31

It was on display in the KLOKGEBOUW last week during dutch design week. Think its a briliant idea..

Hey Ho!

I'm starting to prep for Halloween and I had to share this :D:D.

I usually dont do anything but this year I'm going "in"

download 20141029 000335

download 20141029 000308

download 20141029 000354

I had design a big bearing to print and put around my neck but that thing is so big and fits great on the neck brace. I'll have to skip the head rotation part...

More update later this week!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Nice costume ^^

Reminds me a bit of Mr Bean Turkey Head:

1333854884m_SPLASH.jpg

Hey titus, I stopped by at IO yesterday and there was an XXL- ultimaker demonstrated in the main hall.

It was a project made by students under the super vision of Joris van tubergen (http://www.rooiejoris.nl/), the creator of the joris-style (now spiralize).

here is the weblog of their project. http://ultimakerxxl2014.weblog.tudelft.nl/

In my opinion the prints of the XXL printer (the one with increased x and z axis) were verly low quality; (warping (no heated bed), high layer height, very visible z-line(something really funky happening because the printer had 2 x-axis.

They also printed a piece of an elephant head and a vase with a ultmaker with increased z axis only. Those pieces looked really nice, but the vase was not functional due to the cura 13.9 cura bug which makes a small opening every layer height, make the vase not water tight.

HP is announcing it's 3d printing solutions today:

live update here:

http://3dprint.com/21607/hewlett-packard-3d-printing-announcement/

Wow. Sounds like it comes out in 2016. From the above link:

Parts can hold extreme weight (showing it supporting a car)

– Printer can print own parts.

– 3 hours to do what SLS machines take 38 hours to do.

– Laser sintering only provides 200-400 microns.

– Uses a pagewide print bar. Facts: over 350 million drops per second at 21 micron precision.

– How multijet fusion works. Layer of powder is laid down, then fusing agent is applied, and at same time, a detailing agent is used for high definition. Then it is hit with an energy source and the layer is complete.

yep

This caught my eye:

– Multiple patents filed on this technology. The print bar makes the magic happen. 30,000 nozzles on the print bar. Will forever change the landscape of 3D printing.

They are now introducing a new way to model stuff... looks interesting

hpevent-sprout3.jpg

More info here:

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/commercial-printers/floater/3Dprinting.html?jumpid=sc_R10931_go/ga/socialmedia/3d

If i understood well the Sprout "computer".

You put an object on the platform, it's scanned and the you can manipulate or alter the scan by hand or with a pen... will be selling 9th of november... i wonder the price of this :mrgreen:

The 3d printer will not come before 2016 but it really looks impressive:

Shapeways will be an early customer of the HP machine and will offer printing service next year with this printer.

https://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/18541-shapeways-is-an-early-customer-of-the-new-hp-3d-printer.html

On paper it sounds really impressive. But nothing for at home, yet.

I would agree with this headline:

"HP's 3D Print Breakthrough Could Push Rivals 'Out of Business'"

http://www.forbes.com/sites/georgeanders/2014/10/29/hps-3d-print-breakthrough-could-push-rivals-out-of-business/?partner=yahootix

Have you seen the video that supports the Sprout and the artist stories?

It looks cool, but I don't really see the contributing factor to 3D modeling / scanning.

All is 2D and I haven't seen any 3D modeling in the videos.

It also looks like it scans from the same location as the beamer.. wouldn't ambient light be a big factor in the resolution?

For the machine, sounds promising!

(unfortunately, for example kickstarter is fool of promising projects.. so I am curious to see what eventually will come of it).

(of course.. hp is different from kickstarter. But still..)

Personally I'm excited to see what HP will bring to the table. Sure, the first generation will be for industry but HP (and other printer manufacturers) are absolute geniuses when it comes to maximising cost/profit so hopefully this technology will eventually trickle down into simpler, smaller machines. Of course they'll get ya with the "ink" but... you know, I want to believe! :p