A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?

ian

Posted · A Coffee between friends :-) How was Your Day ?

This scares me. If someone as smart as valcrow who actually owns a UM2 got confused, how many others misunderstood also? The UM2 had no cons. ZERO CONS! Look at it again.

:geek: :mrgreen:

Ohh, I see what they're doing now.. wow that's bad design for sure. They made the legend for their badges the same size and height as the UM part of the article, which is a different format than all the other ones... Maybe its too much internet surfing for me, but I associate sidebar like things as auxiliary information to the article it's attached to. If it's not associated it should be it's own horizontal section.

Also, did anyone notice how all their images are overexposed? It's like they needed a white background for the magazine, but instead of rotoing out the printer they just clipped the whites until the background was white loosing all of the printer details... That's blasphemous!

I'm at MIGS today and see nothing about 3D printing :(. Kind of normal for a video game convention.

@Ultimaker where can I get an Ultimaker tshirt?

Ages ago I suggested to include one with every UM2 (might ask for the t-shirt size on the order page).

But they didn't as you could easily gain or loose 10kg of weight during the time waiting for the UM2 then... :p

But they didn't as you could easily gain or loose 10kg of weight during the time waiting for the UM2 then... :p

oohhhh Burn!.. Wait.. what?

that wasn't funny!

Yes many do. It works better for some people than other.

Here's mine:

http://www.3dhubs.com/montreal/hubs/pierre-marc

Dont expect a ton of orders but for me its enough tokeep buying more filaments

Nice page. Looks like there are only a couple of other hubs here in Ottawa, and the neither of them are using printers that can rival the mighty UM2, so I think there is an opportunity here.

Btw, is there a way in Cura to show how many cubic centimeters are in a given part?

The magic number is 6.38 cm3/meter of material. Put it in the material cost in Preferences if you filaments are priced at 1.00$/cm3

This is not the number 3dhub is using but close

The magic number is 6.38 cm3/meter of material. Put it in the material cost in Preferences if you filaments are priced at 1.00$/cm3

This is not the number 3dhub is using but close

That's great, thanks!

This scares me. If someone as smart as valcrow who actually owns a UM2 got confused, how many others misunderstood also? The UM2 had no cons. ZERO CONS! Look at it again.

Aside from the fact that UM2 prints ABS poorly and they did not do a fair test with the Zortrax. They used

a third part filament on the Zortrax that is rated for 240c and the extruder runs at 280c not a fair competition between the two.

If I am not mistaken all printers used third party filament and they used pre-set profiles, no tweaking in Cura / or whatever slicer they used.

Is your opinion about print quality in ABS from first hand?

I am sure we will be able to help, but I would recommend to start a different thread for that :)

If I am not mistaken all printers used third party filament and they used pre-set profiles, no tweaking in Cura / or whatever slicer they used.

Is your opinion about print quality in ABS from first hand?

I am sure we will be able to help, but I would recommend to start a different thread for that :)

Yes but Zortrax extruder runs hot at 280c and does not allow you to adjust the temp similar to the afina/up. The filament they used Ultimachine ABS is rated for 240c thats a 40c as you're aware higher temp reduces print quality and that's a huge difference in temp. I spoke with Make and they made several rookie mistakes when testing the printers after further conversation with them for instance they didn't properly acknowledge printing temps, nozzle diameters in their testing, and the importance of support generation. I've expressed my opinion about the print quality with ABS based on pictures and in person. Lets be honest UM2 is no match against the Zortrax with ABS. PLA on the UM1 and UM2 is undeniably very nice but in my opinion the Zortrax has better print quality and generates easy to remove support. No need to create another thread this is simply my opinion and/or fact and this bugged my day so I posted this in how was your day.

I can't really argue with you whether the Ultimaker prints better in ABS or Zortrax, because I have 0 experience with Zortrax nor do I know any people who do (except for you I suppose).

I do know plenty of users who solely print abs on Ultimaker so I can only conclude that it does work, besides our own first hand experience which is also a positive one.

Anyway, I am very proud Ultimaker 2 won and was acknowledged as the best desktop printer available now a days :)

I can't really argue with you whether the Ultimaker prints better in ABS or Zortrax, because I have 0 experience with Zortrax nor do I know any people who do (except for you I suppose).

I do know plenty of users who solely print abs on Ultimaker so I can only conclude that it does work, besides our own first hand experience which is also a positive one.

Anyway, I am very proud Ultimaker 2 won and was acknowledged as the best desktop printer available now a days :)

Oleee..eehj oleeh oholee olee.....

Damn, I figured out why I always hated brims. I was printing them at a too low temperature to stick to the bed...

Though I still can't remove them nicely :(

Do you hate brims and not your first layer?

I mean, it is practically the same thing.

I always was able to force my nail under the brim and just peel of the print..

Well that's the thing, I can't get the brim of without cutting/tearing and sanding it off. It's fused with the object. Objects printed without brim had better first layer quality(or atleast edges), but with bigger objects, warped edges. I'll take a picture to explain when my next object comes out.

Though now you mention it, I had the same problem with rafts. The object would just be fused with the raft, unless I increased the airgap with a factor of like 3. Causing a very ugly first layer, but effective raft.

Well if a fair test was done against your largest competitor than I would be proud but it simply wasn't but if that's an accomplishment to you than by all means be proud.

Would I be aloud to create a thread (without it being taken down) named UM2 vs Zortrax and have a print listed that the community could print with their highest resolution and I would submit mine as well.

Shouldn't be an issue if you confident in your print quality

If you want to put the test from Make up for discusion you may be better of talking to them.

We didn't write the test and we certainly did not have any influence on it.

But Ultimaker being open source and transparant we have never removed a thread if it was reasonable, so by all means go ahead.

For example, in the test they also used a pre-set setting from Cura to test the Ultimaker, while any slightly experienced user can create a profile in Cura that will probably give better results during those stress tests.

However, Ultimaker being a well designed machine and even with general settings it was still able to perform better then most of its competitors and we still came out on top.

Of course there is always room for play and interpretation, I am not going to argue with that.

But no printer got any special treatment. I think that is the bottom line.

Yes but Zortrax extruder runs hot at 280c and does not allow you to adjust the temp similar to the afina/up.

I have no experience on the zortax either, but this seems like a rather massive limitation. While print quality is obviously a big factor, it is by no means the only one... This limitation would be a major strike on the zortax. Could you honestly say that a printer that is unable to adjust it's temperature off 280C should have won the shootout?

They had some pretty experienced people to do the testing this round. The guy that tested the UM2 along with some of the other ones has a huge collection of printers and posts advice regularly on reddit.

Funny to see this Zortrax Vs UM subject :)

Two weeks ago someone on the french section was looking to buy a 3d printer, the final two printers on his list were the Zortrax M200 and the UM2 (or UMO+).

So he posted an object that was tested on the Zortrax (and SLA printers too), and asked for some of the members to try it out. The quality of the print from the Zortrax was very good, hard to beat i'd say.

But after a couple of tries, we managed to have the same quality as the Zortrax, and the guy was convinced by Ultimaker because of the good quality prints but also because it's a multi material printer not limited to ABS (which is odd by the way, most of the time printer only print PLA, if they print ABS they should be able to print PLA).

Anyway the guys from the community are always open for a little challenge so feel free to open a topic to test our members!

And to me, the printing quality is not the only reason for rating a 3D printer ;)

Dear Ultimaker R&D,

In about half a year I will need a tooth implant for a tooth I had to be extracted today (yes, it hurts... :( )

So you have half a year time to develop a customer grade 3D printer for metal and ceramics so I can print the implant myself. Should be more than enough time, right? ;) I mean, now as you found a solution to dual extrusion... :D

Don't take me serious, I'm on pain killer... :wacko: