general forum feedback

ultiarjan

Posted (edited) · general forum feedback

so I was directed to this forum by sander.

May question was why not fix the website and calling a beta a beta and directing to the last stable version of cura?

my request was also fix it and not answer this post (at least one of your programmer agreed that this was a mistake, and about >5 posts in the forum do so),

...but too late...

@SandervG: and yes I used the inappropriate button in the wrong sense I could not resist, because I am childish...

Edited by SandervG
  • Like 1

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted · general forum feedback

Hi @Greengecko,

Thank you for your reply and taking the efforts of posting it here.

I took the liberty of altering my tag, because if you don't tag me fully I don't get a notification.

Like I said in my previous reply, any alterations will be discussed and executed Monday.

--Edit----

please ignore this post, I am a dork, I see now Cura has always used a consistent version by date of release. I'm withdrawing this suggestion, Sorry. :( I'll show my self out now.

------------

@SandervG thanks for the reply, while not actually answering my question, you did seem to indicate you hear some of what we're saying which was refreshing. Thank you!

In the hopes that you're still listening can I please give you some more common sense input, which is not meant to be harsh but talks about some very important practices that I'm concerned are causing some of the current trouble UM is in.

About Cura, it is an award winning slicer which has proven to be very reliable etc.

YES! I love CURA, BUT...This statement is only true of the Pre-15.06.x Cura. Please keep that in mind. I'm feeling that your actions are smacking of marketing B.S.

'Cura Legacy' was nearing a dead end, future-wise. {...}  it needed to be rebuild, hence The New Cura.  {...}   it did not have all the features we were used to.

{...}

You strike a fair point on creating a better distinguishment between the 2 versions; Cura Legacy or The New Cura. Monday we will talk about this internally on what the best course would be

The answer to this is right in the versioning naming conventions that are universally understood by most everyone (except maybe marketing people and people who have never used software--sorry but in the vacuum of info and answers my mind is left to theorize on what the heck is going on). By your own words you did a ground up change, the frame work has changed, the plug-ins have to be re-written, the UI is different, the slicing algorithms are different, etc. You signify a major release such as this by increment the front number.....

Cura 16.xx.x

Don't take my word for it here's a blurb from wikipedia "In principle, in subsequent releases, the major number is increased when there are significant jumps in functionality such as changing the framework which could cause incompatibility with interfacing systems, the minor number is incremented when only minor features or significant fixes have been added, and the revision number is incremented when minor bugs are fixed."

SO why did Cura 15.06.x get released as such? it should have been Cura 16.xx.x which EVERYONE would have understood to be a major upgrade, instead we have "Legacy Cura" and "New Cura" ..terms which hopefully are just descriptors you choose yesterday while typing, since your post was the 1st time I've seen them used. And these are terms that are not very helpful moving forward into the future since there is already an accepted and universally understood way to easily communicate these types of changes. By ignoring standard naming conventions we end up with such confusing lineages as iPad1>iPad2>New iPad(3)>New New iPad(4)>Air iPad(5)>Air2 iPad(6)

So if you really are thinking about the future (and not short term flash in pan buzz words) you should follow the naming conventions everyone uses and STICK TO THEM. OK, just for illustration purposed, not meant to insult the good people at UM ..What will we call Cura17 when that time comes...Cura 360? lol :)

Anyway, I am so happy to have UM and Cura, I am a convert I tell everyone to use UM and CURA,  but please please spare us this kind of confusing and arbitrary naming and stick to a system that quickly, without explanation and elegantly lets everyone know (even 10 years from now) what the differences between version are. please

I know you might not want to go back but at least don't do 15.10 do 16.x.x In the long run this would be the thing to do, AND might not make it look like you're trying to dupe people by using the quality of the aforementioned cura 15.x.x. line to download your newly build from the ground up cura that has very little to do with the 15.x.x line of product.

If my options are not in line with your board of director's thinking can you at least help us with some honest open communications about the thought process and the deliberate choices to flaunt convention?

Edited by Guest

The thing is @peetersm, cura has always been named for year.month that's why we were at 15.06.x and the beta of 15.10 is coming out(release in october).

Though I understand what you are saying, and actually I might agree.

cura has always been named for year.month that's why we were at 15.06.x and the beta of 15.10 is coming out(release in october).

I guess I never noticed that. thanks for showing my the logic behind the naming, sorry I did not understand that.

So I am suggesting a radical new way of thinking for the future.

It took me only about 3 years to notice that so don't feel bad.

Don't worry, it was suggested I think about what year and month it was by @daid

Also @SandervG, getting ghost notifications again.

I promised an update today following our meeting about Cura, so here we go :)

We acknowledged there were some mixed signals for new users and that is why we made some changes, they're already live.

We redirected the download button on the software page to the established version of Cura 15.04. as what can be expected after browsing the page. Living up to our vision in how we want to make 3D printing and making accessible, this offers the desired user experience.

Below 'Which Cura version is right for you', is a description of the New Cura 15.06.03 and the option to download the Beta version on the bottom. Alternatively, behind 'See all versions' is also the option to download Beta versions, which are also labeled as such.

Thank you!

Edited by Guest
    typo
    • Like 2

I also still get them, it has been reported as a bug again.

Yep, loads of them too, mainly on posts i made myself, so i'm getting notifications of my own post.

Below 'Which Cura version is right for you', is a description of the New Cura 16.06.03 and the option to download the Beta version on the bottom.

I assume this is a typo and you mean 15.06.03 ?

Below 'Which Cura version is right for you', is a description of the New Cura 16.06.03 and the option to download the Beta version on the bottom.

I assume this is a typo and you mean 15.06.03 ?

Ah yes, since we haven't invented timetraveling it is a typo.

I will correct it in the original post to avoid further confusion, thank you!

I promised an update today following our meeting about Cura, so here we go :)

{...}

Below 'Which Cura version is right for you', is a description of the New Cura 15.06.03 and the option to download the Beta version on the bottom. Alternatively, behind 'See all versions' is also the option to download Beta versions, which are also labeled as such.

Thank you!

This is much more clear and should help a lot. thanks!!

What was the meeting's verdict about how to help distinguish between the "New" and "Legacy"? Since these two are so different I think it would be worth making this easy to figure out too, especially once the "New" is out of Beta..someone might go from 15.04.2 to the non-Beta version of "New" once that is released and be lost...some thing like this maybe?

5a3310e456c04_cura_downloadsMockup.png.3e95f558e6f928920f670eda6af08de6.png

5a3310e456c04_cura_downloadsMockup.png.3e95f558e6f928920f670eda6af08de6.png

I'd still like to have each link show what's new in each version (change log?).  Right now, you click those, goes to the CAPTCHA and download.  So you really aren't sure what's different between each release.  A big dis-service for Ultimaker owners trying to find a particular firmware update    Not everyone has an Ultimaker 2 and things relevant to UMO should be noted. As far as I can tell, you can't see the release notes until you download and install them

Also....my TrendMicro virus scanner keeps identifying CURA_15.04.2.exe and CURAEngine as malicious software. And the same for 15.06.01

So, you might want to see how the Windows installs work on a few systems at Ultimaker HQ...not sure on other antivirus platforms

Edited by Guest

@LePaul; We did, but we can't check every single virus scanner out there. It would simply take to much time.

@peetersm, the verdict was that we needed to sync the expectation and offer closer together and that is why we changed the download link.

I read in a few different threads people referring to the old Cura as Legacy, that is why I used it as well. But that is not an official name, neither is 'the new' Cura. (but I do like the sound of it :p) We continue to use the different versions for now as official names.

If a user is not interested in beta testing and just want to print, they are best off with Cura 15.04 and that is where they will end up with following the usual path.

The fact that the newest versions are labeled with Beta should raise enough flags for any new user who doesn't want to test or experiment, and just wants to print reliably.

@LePaul; We did, but we can't check every single virus scanner out there. It would simply take to much time.

Well, I can help in the future :)

I'm at work now but I'll try to pull up the details on why TrendMicro flagged those files.

The fact that the newest versions are labeled with Beta should raise enough flags for any new user who doesn't want to test or experiment, and just wants to print reliably.

sounds great, but if "the New" is part of the name shouldn't it be listed as "15.06.x the new cura(BETA)" since once it's not in Beta and (just picking a number) The New Cura 15.12.1 is an official stable release, then users might need to see the distinction between the old and new? Maybe you are saying this distinction is not a concern of the group.

When the "new" cura is working better than the old Cura for 70% of models and has fewer bugs than the old Cura and has all of the features of the old Cura - well then there's no need to label it Beta anymore or distinguish it from the "old" Cura in the historical list of versions.

Although I agree it would be nice if the "old" Cura had a code name similar to "pink unicorn" and those versions were all labeled as such.

'sounds great, but if "the New" is part of the name..'

It isn't. I added it to make it clear, but obviously it was only causing confusion. My apologies. 15.06.X is in Beta, but when it goes live we could look into adding something to the ''old'' to make it clear it is not just a different version but a very different slicer at all. For now, we'll leave it like this until the Beta clears anyway.

We're not doing any fixing on 15.06. There is not going to be a 15.06.4.

Edited by Guest

A "€" followed by a ) results in "&eur ;)". Save your htmlspecialchars() call for after you add smilies :)

I've disabled getting likes in the notification center, but i still get the notifications

• Like 3

I've disabled getting likes in the notification center, but i still get the notifications

Everyone just likes you to much to not let you know about it. :)

• Like 2