Ultimaker S5 | impressions & opinions

SandervG

Posted · Ultimaker S5 | impressions & opinions
9 minutes ago, nallath said:

Don't pin me down on it, but the 4 was skipped due to bad associations with the number 4 in China / Japan. The S stands for studio.

The number 4 (any '4' number) is very, very bad in Asia as the words sound like the word 'death.'  This sounds smart. And, if not correct, incorporate it!! :p

9 minutes ago, Daid said:

better late then never.

Better right than early!!

15 minutes ago, Daid said:

And that volume can be used by BOTH nozzles

Squeal!!

16 minutes ago, Daid said:

It has a flow sensor, that works for jam detection as well.

Double Squeal!!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, nallath said:

And the machine makes waay less noise.

Great! I guess you are using new trinamic stepper drivers and maybe even a new 32 bit controller? 

7 minutes ago, nallath said:

My headcanon is that the S stands for sexy. So its the Ultimaker Sexy 5.

Haha :D I first thought that someone at Ultimaker liked his Tesla Model S tooooo much ;p

19 minutes ago, Daid said:

It has a flow sensor, that works for jam detection as well. Yes, we spend a shitload of time developing this one. It has been in development even during the UM3 development. As we wanted in the UM3 initially, but we cut it from the release then when it didn't work properly. Solves the 750g spool problem. I think we've gone trough 2 different sensor chip designs, and a whole bunch of mechanical designs before that part was perfect. Then the software when trough a few large iterations as well. This was quite a ride.

Great! Looking forward to see what you came up with as I know that duet3d and prusa also haven't found the best solution to spot such yet. 

May this also be available for the Ultimaker 3 series ? 

22 minutes ago, Daid said:

Grid based leveling. With the large build volume, our 3 point leveling no longer worked properly, as glass and aluminium plates are always a bit warped. (I think this will be backported to the UM3 as well, but don't hold me on that one)

So it's a completely new system internally? I would have thought that you are using the same olimex and just add the different protocols for the screen *|

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker S5 | impressions & opinions

@Daid Can you comment on the reasons the aluminium build plate is not available before fall? I assume the reason lies somewhere with the material profiles?

Edited by Dim3nsioneer

The leveling is still using the same sensor, it just measures on more points. Electronics are not 100% the same, but 90%. Software is still the same base as the UM3.

Oh, and yes, I forgot the Trinamic stepper drivers. The noise is much much less. The fans are the noise producers now. (Technical detail, TMC2130 is the chip we use)

No new motion controller, still the ATMega2560. We had it as an option to upgrade this as well. But we made the choice to keep it close the UM3. (You could see the S5 as an UM3+)

I don't know exactly why the Aluminium plate won't be available directly. Some things I overheard could indicate a supply chain issue (the plate needs a proper coating), but don't pin me down on that part, as it could also be profile development. I can only speculate just like the rest of you, as I don't know everything that is happening anymore.

As far as I know, the flow sensor won't become available as upgrade kit for the UM3. We had that as option on the table, but I though the latest design no longer fits directly on an UM3 mechanically. And the market that we are in right now isn't super fond on upgrade kits, even if you guys are :-)

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1

As for the flow sensor. We (the Mark2 crowd ;) ) almost finished development for an external flow sensor for the UM2+ including firmware integration. Mechanically it fits to the UM3, but connecting to electronics and ofc firmware integration is a different story ...

Edited by foehnsturm
    • Like 5

I awoke to an email from Matterhackers giving all the details.

I really like what I am reading about this new printer so far.

TMC 2130's will make it very quiet.  I'm re-fitting a Tevo Tornado with those, since I have a salmon-skin effect from the stock ones.

The price is quite high, that's really surprised me.  I knew it would be above what the UM3 is, but...wow.

I was hoping the print volume would exceed 300 mm along each axis...looks like it came up a little short on one side.  (Really?  Engineering couldn't push the design a CM or two? :)  )

Mesh bed leveling should be really helpful.  I am also pleased to see some alternatives to glass for the print surface.  The magnetic, removable metal build plates such as the Prusa I3 Mk3 come to mind.

And the touch screen...a nice touch (see what I did there?)

I would love to get my hands on one and see what it can do...just like everyone else whose here!

3 hours ago, nallath said:

Don't pin me down on it, but the 4 was skipped due to bad associations with the number 4 in China / Japan. The S stands for studio.

Yeah, that's what you say... But we all know that is not the real reason... #UM4Conspiracy  ;p

Joke aside, this UM5 looks quite awesome, and sports quite a lot fo things I wished we had on the UM3. Oh, well, got to start saving up now! ;)

I agree with the comments.  This looks like a great step up.  The noise reduction would help guys like me.  The poor UMO is going to really feel like that guy who always talks during the movie....

I don't mind the asymmetry in x and y.  I suspect this is to protect resolution.  What I've seen of the 300x300 implementations, there are a lot of strange little things that come of just a bit of flex on the rods, vertically or laterally.  Most of my prints are long in one lateral direction. 

The price will take this off the table for me for at least the short term.  And it is high enough that it overlaps with exotics like the MarkForged Mark Two.  Very different printers with very different missions, but for someone who is running a business, it opens the dialogue of which capability is more important.  A  supersized UM3 with the same (albeit evolved) FDM only technology, or the ability to offer a different product, a fibre reinforced production part.

Hard to say what price would be right, that is such a personal thing.  Will you sell a ton of these?  I think so.  Do I wish I had one?  Yes.  Can I afford it? Not at the moment.

Best of luck for a successful production run.  Don't forget the UMO-UM3 crowd, I understand there are some engineering challenges, but if there are innovations that can trickle down, please trickle away (and for those who at or above are my 'silver' age, I mean trickle technology only.....)

John

Edited by JohnInOttawa
    grammar
    • Like 1

9 minutes ago, JohnInOttawa said:

Best of luck for a successful production run.  Don't forget the UMO-UM3 crowd, I understand there are some engineering challenges, but if there are innovations that can trickle down, please trickle away (and for those who at or above are my 'silver' age, I mean trickle technology only.....

I can only say a bit about Cura Connect (as that's my project / team at the moment), but we don't expect to ship different software for UM3 / s5. It would add quite a burden on development if we would and the magic of connect is in the fact that you can mix & match a bunch of Ultimakers so they can print from the same queue.

What is the real resolution improvement S5 versus UM3 ?

50 minutes ago, nallath said:

the magic of connect is in the fact that you can mix & match a bunch of Ultimakers so they can print from the same queue.

This is off-topic, but how will Cura Connect handle slicing for different volumes and different profiles? I assume that if I slice an object for an UM3, it will not print in optimum quality on an UMS5. I don't have an UM3, so I have never seen Cura Connect up close. I am genuinely interested to know how this will work.

1 minute ago, ahoeben said:

This is off-topic, but how will Cura Connect handle slicing for different volumes and different profiles? I assume that if I slice an object for an UM3, it will not print in optimum quality on an UMS5. I don't have an UM3, so I have never seen Cura Connect up close. I am genuinely interested to know how this will work.

Hi

Right now, you set up for the largest printer in your group. You slice against that printer. If you dispatch to the group on "automatic" it figures out which printer can handle the size part you sliced. It works quite well. The only limitation is that the largest printer needs to be the "group host". Just how all that will work with different resolutions .... we'll see ....

Bob

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ahoeben said:

RIght now? You slice it for either UM3 familiy or for the S5. The profiles (due to head weight / size) are different, so mixing them will get you poor quality results. We did improve the whole flow for Cura & mixed connect setups. So if you have a mixed cluster, you can switch between the printers pretty fast from Cura. It also detects what configurations are on what machines.

As to how I would personally want it; I'd love it for connect to be able to re-slice models. That way you can just throw a curaproject file to the queue and depending on what's available, the models can be resliced (while trying to remain as close as possible to the original intents you put in there). But yeah, future dreaming!

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, uncle_bob said:

Right now, you set up for the largest printer in your group. You slice against that printer. If you dispatch to the group on "automatic" it figures out which printer can handle the size part you sliced.

Yeah. We changed that. So let me explain a bit more.

Everything you slice for an UM3 can always be printed on a UM3E. Things that you slice for UM3E can sometimes be printed on UM3 (if you don't use the height). S5 and UM3 can't mix g-codes (or well, you could, but it will just give you poor results).
    In order to make it easier, Cura will allow you to connect with a cluster regardless of the local Cura machine. You will have a spiffy new sync button that shows all configurations. So if you added the cluster by means of a (local) UM3 and you select a configuration on the S5, cura will switch the local buildplate / profiles to S5 ones. I have to admit i was a bit sceptical about this at first, but having used it for some time now, i have to say it works pretty neat.

Also, I don't think alot of you noticed it, but the new firmware / app will also bring notifications to the table (also for the UM3), even outside of the local network.

2 minutes ago, nallath said:

So if you added the cluster by means of a (local) UM3 and you select a configuration on the S5, cura will switch the local buildplate / profiles to S5 ones.

Does it do so by switching to another machine instance (and if so, how is it different than using the printer selection dropdown?), or does it change the printer definition of the current machine instance?

21 hours ago, kmanstudios said:
    21 hours ago, Dim3nsioneer said:

Cura would define per layer a spot where would be a good point for a pause

Again, what would be the criteria to make that decision? And, would that decision be global or selectable. i.e. Corner vs. large curve, etc. ?

Infill would be a good place to pause.  Ideally in the "middle" of infill but most infill lines touch shell.  But better to be touching the inner shell than the outer shell during a pause.

Or anywhere on a tower.

Cura can and does add comments to the gcode.  There could be a very simple comment indicating good pause points.  So if a users walks up to the printer and tells it to pause it would pause at one of those pause points.  Not sure how useful this is.  

I like Bob's other idea better - a cura plugin that when you use up X meters of filament it pauses and waits for you to change to a new spool of filament (for jobs that need more than one spool).

2 minutes ago, ahoeben said:

Does it do so by switching to another machine instance (and if so, how is it different than using the printer selection dropdown?), or does it change the printer definition of the current machine instance?

Don't pin me down on this, i'm not that deep into Cura anymore, but it adds a temp set container stacks to do the switch. So it's not really adding a new machine, it just provides you with one to use for a bit (this is so you don't clutter your local setup / or force us to track what machine is linked to where)

I think others have covered this, but on the multi-roll filament thing, my luck would have this happen at about 2 am.  The ability to hot swap a roll would be outstanding and necessary for jobs where two cores are printing different stuff, but let me add an entry in the odd fellows' diary.

Most of my big jobs so far have not been heavy support users and not multi-color,  so I could, in theory run them with two AA cores, each fed with the same type of filament.  So I can either print infill with one and shell with the other, (slow, but effective), or divide the model lower and upper into different 'colors' and merge them for a dual extrusion print using the same filament.  Again, a kludge and limited to two rolls, but interruption free.

What would be nice would the ability to swap the 'offline' filament spool without a big interruption in the currently active one. 

J

• Like 1