Ultimaker Cura 4.4 released with new Intent profiles

Guest maht

Posted · Ultimaker Cura 4.4 released with new Intent profiles
21 hours ago, territerriterri said:

Can you show the exact error message please? 

My  Mistake sorry, ist was a MAC Problem, not a Cura Problem. It ist fixed now, Cura 4.4 ist running. Sorry!

On 11/20/2019 at 8:59 AM, Imperator said:

I just installed new Versrion on a Apple Mac, and now I can not start CURA. Mac OS shows a Error Message, translated like "MAC OS is not able to check file for Virus".

Update 21.11.2019

I am very sorry, my mistake. It was a MAC OS Problem, not a Cura 4.4 Problem.  Cura 4.4 is now running on my MAC OS.

Thanks for clarifying it @Imperator! ^__^v 

12 hours ago, canadadrones said:

Oh I just "fixed it" ... I removed the file C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 4.4\resources\materials\ultimaker_pla_white.xml.fdm_material

(moved it to another folder) and now it works... although it is complaining of possible settings corruptions at start up and want to delete all my saved settings (no no no!) 

anyhow, attache the famous ultimaker_pla_white.xml.fdm_material file here so you can tell me what is wrong. 

ultimaker_pla_white.xml.zip 1.35 kB · 0 downloads

Interesting .. hmmm, can you also PM me the whole 4.3 config folder as well please? I'd like to see where it went wrong. 

Thank you for attacheding the material xml file! 

I just installed Cura 4.4, it does not look any different that the old version I had (4.3) Where are the intent profiles and why is the whole menu different than your web page screen shots of the new version?

image.thumb.png.3f3ebbd111ed0780cdbfcd165f08e799.png

cura.thumb.jpg.502ce349bc49fd0986f1ba94ddc44920.jpg

cura2.jpg

They seem to only exist for the S5 and the S3 printers.  Not other ultimaker printers.  Not non-ultimaker printers.  You probably don't need them for your printer as the Creality people probably created the best possible profile right from the start but here's the deal - UM was creating profiles that created really nice looking prints.  One of the things they battled is probably ringing and to combat that they did an amazing job with jerk and acceleration control.  But the focus was on things like good overhangs and not being able to see infill through the wall of the print.

They also focused on speed.

However a lot of customers don't care how pretty a print is and care more about the dimensions.  Because of this they concentrated on accuracy with one of the new profiles.  This changed about 10 settings in Cura.  The prints still look pretty good except for ringing (which is too small to measure with a micrometer).  It's a change in focus/intent when choosing cura settings.  They decided to call this "intent" but really they are simply more profiles but grouped by intent.

There's nothing preventing creality with creating profiles with different intents and they can utilize the "intent" feature when they do so (to group them).

I don't think the "intent" profiles include very many materials and nozzles but they are certainly in the most common: 0.4mm nozzle/core and PLA.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Cura 4.4 released with new Intent profiles

I upgraded from the previous version just now and lost a material and a profile with no warning. Technically the profile just has totally different settings, so maybe lost is not the correct word for it, but the material profile is definitely gone.

It's getting to the point that when there is an update, I dread installing it because I have to spend time "fixing" everything that Cura lost or no longer considers valid. I keep a computer running 3.6 just because I have a ton of dialed in settings and custom printers printing beautifully that I don't want messed with.

It looks like when 4.4 installed it took away the 4.2 data in roaming and seems to be pulling info from an old 3.6 folder (3.6 is no longer installed on this computer). Does the installer no longer archive old versions' custom settings?

Edited by ratchet
    Adding info. Reduced harshness.

So I never dread updates because I don't save my own profiles.  Instead I save "projects".  Do "file" "save" in the menu.  I do this everytime I slice. 

So let's say I slice my special flashlight in CPE and now I'm printing a different design flashlight.  In CPE.  I think, "hey - I did a similar print - version 1 of this flashlight" and I go find the project and load that.  Now I have exactly how everything was setup.

I find this works very well since cura 2.0.  Most of my 3d printing friends all complained about profiles and the ones who stopped creating profiles and use the "project" method instead are all happy.  It sounds like  a stupid way to do things but when you try it you will realize several reasons why it's a better method of saving your settings (in other words I could go on and on explaining the other benefits but I won't).

• Like 1

yup, I also do save my projects that way, otherwise I would have too many profiles anyway with very similar names but slight adjustments. I always overwrite a project if a print failed or was not to my liking so I adjust and save over the previous "not perfect one".  That way I have all my really nice and working settings easy to find per projects. 

The fact that the new version was looking at some white_pla material profile that was causing issues is strange but I resolved it now and I dont care.  🙂 back to slicing and printing 

• Like 1

"Zoom toward mouse direction" no longer works after upgrading. I tried toggling the checkbox, but the problem persists. What can I do to troubleshoot, please?

Windows 10, upgrading from Cura 4.3 to 4.4

1 hour ago, sam2b said:

"Zoom toward mouse direction" no longer works after upgrading. I tried toggling the checkbox, but the problem persists. What can I do to troubleshoot, please?

workaround: do shift+right mouse drag to correct where it is zooming into.

Maybe post this bug on github - it might get more attention.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gr5 said:

Maybe post this bug on github - it might get more attention.

I'm not sure if it is a true bug or not, so I was hoping to hear from others and the Cura engineers for confirmation first.

2 hours ago, gr5 said:

So I never dread updates because I don't save my own profiles.  Instead I save "projects".  Do "file" "save" in the menu.  I do this everytime I slice. 

So let's say I slice my special flashlight in CPE and now I'm printing a different design flashlight.  In CPE.  I think, "hey - I did a similar print - version 1 of this flashlight" and I go find the project and load that.  Now I have exactly how everything was setup.

I find this works very well since cura 2.0.  Most of my 3d printing friends all complained about profiles and the ones who stopped creating profiles and use the "project" method instead are all happy.  It sounds like  a stupid way to do things but when you try it you will realize several reasons why it's a better method of saving your settings (in other words I could go on and on explaining the other benefits but I won't).

You're right, and I'm definitely going to do this more often now on my personal stuff. I have projects saved on previous critical items, but it's nice to have a few stable generic profiles that print well for people who aren't yet at the Jedi level. Especially in a student setting with multiple printers types across a bot farm.

I've just installed 4.4 (Win 10, Ender 3 Pro) and I can't see any Intent Profiles. Just the Default recommended profile plus the Super/Dynamic/Standard/Low Quality profiles and my own when using Custom profiles.

What's missing to get the Intent profiles?

Cura has only the intent profiles for Ultimaker printers (S3/S5) included.

For other printer brands, the community or the vendor has to create the profiles and contribute them via Github.

37 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Cura has only the intent profiles for Ultimaker printers (S3/S5) included.

For other printer brands, the community or the vendor has to create the profiles and contribute them via Github.

Perhaps this small fact should be mentioned in the changelog. "Initially, Cura has only the intent profiles for Ultimaker printers (S3/S5) included."

The same for me, crash at start up. 

Cura 4.3 uninstall before installing 4.4...

This is not really helpful with not knowing anything about your computer e.g. like OS, graphic card, maybe a log file from Cura etc. :)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sam2b said:

Did you switch to orthographic view? "Zoom toward mouse direction" works only for Perspective view - even in 4.3. 

Thanks @nallath

• Like 1

4 hours ago, blink60 said:

The same for me, crash at start up. 

Cura 4.3 uninstall before installing 4.4...

Hello! tell me more information please! As what @DivingDuck said, I could really use info like logs files, OS .. or better yet, PMing me your config folder, see my comment here

If your crash logs are the same as the comments of this and this, we have a workaround for you and we are already fixing this upgrade issue. 

12 hours ago, Jonski said:

Perhaps this small fact should be mentioned in the changelog. "Initially, Cura has only the intent profiles for Ultimaker printers (S3/S5) included."

Hehe @maht ❤️ 

I am a bit new to this 3d printing stuff anyway, so please don't troll me for the following question: Why should the printer manufacturer matter for the profiles other than the only variables I can see that should make any difference:

1. Bedsize

2. motion type:

a. Cartesian

b. Core X-Y

c. Delta

Example: I have an Ender 3 Pro. A Formbot Raptor is also a Cartesian printer, so other than bed size what would be different in the profiles?

5 minutes ago, Pantard said:

I am a bit new to this 3d printing stuff anyway, so please don't troll me for the following question: Why should the printer manufacturer matter for the profiles other than the only variables I can see that should make any difference:

1. Bedsize

2. motion type:

a. Cartesian

b. Core X-Y

c. Delta

Example: I have an Ender 3 Pro. A Formbot Raptor is also a Cartesian printer, so other than bed size what would be different in the profiles?

Weight of print head, weight of gantry, max acceleration/speed/jerk possible with the drivers and motors that particular printer uses, how much ringing is produced due to different length/thickness/stiffness of rods/axes, lag time for extrusion etc etc. Many many variables other than the type of movement the printer is using.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, territerriterri said:

Did you switch to orthographic view? "Zoom toward mouse direction" works only for Perspective view - even in 4.3. 

Thanks @nallath

Hi, @nallath. Yes, I was recently using Orthographic view. Thank you for the clarification and help.  Now I know! 🙂

• Like 1