Post your latest print!

IRobertI

Posted · Post your latest print!

Don't want to know the exact numbers.. :p There is a difference between designing and producing... Designing and prototyping is the fun part and producing is the 'boring' part, but there is definitely a challenge in that as well :D

Although it must be satisfying to see the amounts coming out of the printer for a reason.

Great job!

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Post your latest print!

This is a prop that I made for someone.

It's a Stone arrow from the manga Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Vento Aureo (it's neat)

So I made this model and realised it for them.

12963710_205148909866126_2983960443910279563_n.png?oh=cfbf9d3503a218f79bb564a9fdc40e0e&oe=577DF8C9

12963900_205148936532790_2150123274139434252_n.jpg?oh=6d3e4ff47713872dcd0ad0a56c025f86&oe=57B2CE16

12924543_205148903199460_2956879851417280697_n.jpg?oh=56a15002dec3a11075f6972c156dbb74&oe=57725C4E

Edited by Guest
  • Like 6

I really wish my brain could design organic stuff. Stuff like z-brush is just black magic to me *sigh*

I really need to learn stuff like z-brush and 3dsmax because making organic shapes in Autodesk Inventor makes me want to rip my hair out.

Practice folks, and dedication, and time of course, lol. I wish i could design mecha stuff more, thats next on my practice list.

3DSMAX is easy BTW. I learnt it myself in the DOS days before the internet with no instructions.

Edited by Guest

I really wish my brain could design organic stuff. Stuff like z-brush is just black magic to me *sigh*

Same here mate. I downloaded their free version Sculpteo i think it was called...but after a day or so of playing with it I gave up!

Organic forms escape me too, though I was able to make pretty good wyrms using low poly spheres spaced along sinusoidal position paths. It you point the axis of the sphere in line with the direction of the path, then the low poly of the spheres makes them looks like segments with scales (somewhat, YMMV).

Also you can use a for() loop or if you can figure out recursion, that is another way to go. I just a while ago learned how to do this in OpenSCAD using recursion and it makes you feel like a math wizard, even if you're not lol...

Les

p.s. but so far that's all i can do thought I did make some interesting things with the hull() feature. Hull and recursion? Worth a try! :)

[print=3785][/print]

Made this for daughter's boyfriend who will be gifting it to his boss soon. Now everyone who has seen it wants one of their own, lol.

• Like 2

This isn't my absolute most recent print, as I've been printing fairly heavily this week. But I just opened a batch of Faberdashery pearl white and I'm a little mesmerized by it. I kind of want to print everything right now.

This is Loubie's Aria dragon on Thingiverse/YouMagine. I love this print. A one-piece dragon with no supports needed.

IMG_6160.thumb.JPG.5e99032a34ccec3eb8c0d86a3fbaed26.JPG

And this vampire skull is for my mom's boyfriend. I printed one a couple years ago when I was new to 3D printing...that one wasn't bad, but this one looks so much better.

IMG_6197.thumb.JPG.e8f9c4dde1be80b759427a96e391c7d1.JPG

IMG_6160.thumb.JPG.5e99032a34ccec3eb8c0d86a3fbaed26.JPG

IMG_6197.thumb.JPG.e8f9c4dde1be80b759427a96e391c7d1.JPG

• Like 4

Printed this for the wife - the names of all our family. Printed in ABS with a 0.8mm nozzle and 0.4mm layer height. The printer was left open, no paper or cardboard covering it. Obviously it did not distort or delaminate during the print. It took around 8 hours to print at 60mm/sec and 45mm/sec for outer edges.

The only thing that went a bit wrong was that I did not print it solid, so it leaked a little. That was easy to fix, I simply washed the inside with acetone, and minutes later it was dry and waterproof.

5a331bdcbd9fc_familyvase.thumb.jpg.6dc2f8d14d8b6499cd1039140d780937.jpg

5a331bdcbd9fc_familyvase.thumb.jpg.6dc2f8d14d8b6499cd1039140d780937.jpg

• Like 9

Finally on holiday with a little spare time to post a few prints from last year:

[print=3810][/print]

[print=3806][/print]

[print=3800][/print]

[print=3799][/print]

[print=3796][/print]

• Like 5

What S/W did you use to put the letters on the vase?

The whole thing was modelled in Blender. There is a plugin to create spiral curves, and then a mesh - in this case the letters - has a Curve modifier attached that distorts it along a curve.

• Like 1

Printed this for the wife - the names of all our family. Printed in ABS with a 0.8mm nozzle and 0.4mm layer height. The printer was left open, no paper or cardboard covering it. Obviously it did not distort or delaminate during the print. It took around 8 hours to print at 60mm/sec and 45mm/sec for outer edges.

The only thing that went a bit wrong was that I did not print it solid, so it leaked a little. That was easy to fix, I simply washed the inside with acetone, and minutes later it was dry and waterproof.

What a clever fix to wash it with acetone! How long has it been watertight now?

Yeah that struck me as pretty nifty too!

Acetone contracts over time so yes it seals well! but can also split your model over time if you put too much or the shell had imperfections. But then again i'm probably the only one using too much! lol. its also good for setting things in place with tight ball joints as it makes things temporarily flexible!

• Like 1

Well, what other option was there? Maybe polyurethane varnish, but that takes ages to dry, and I wanted it on the table pronto. The one big advantage that ABS has is the acetone thing. There are so many tricks one can do using acetone, including seamless welds.

Aaaaanyway, it has been almost two weeks now, and the flowers are drooping but the vase is still watertight. I expect it is a permanent fix.

Acetone contracts over time so yes it seals well! but can also split your model over time if you put too much or the shell had imperfections. But then again i'm probably the only one using too much! lol.

I have found that going easy with acetone allows for better results. So, for a weld, keep a very thin gap between the parts when applying the acetone, use a small amount, then shove the parts together really quickly and breathe in the wonderful fumes. For sealing, use several washes rather than dumping in a bucket load.

its also good for setting things in place with tight ball joints as it makes things temporarily flexible!

For tight ball joints you might want to consider using a fine abrasive powder. I haven't tried this, but you might want to put some baking soda into a tight ball joint, wiggle it around until smooth (might need several applications) and then wash it out with water. You might have to soak the part a few times in warm water to get all the soda out.

Baking soda is mildly abrasive.

Well, what other option was there? Maybe polyurethane varnish, but that takes ages to dry, and I wanted it on the table pronto. The one big advantage that ABS has is the acetone thing. There are so many tricks one can do using acetone, including seamless welds.

Aaaaanyway, it has been almost two weeks now, and the flowers are drooping but the vase is still watertight. I expect it is a permanent fix.

PVC GLue :) Ive found that it works on most materials for making it watertight.

im doing gloves with joints so im going to be doing a lot of acetoning, lol.

PVC GLue :)Ive found that it works on most materials for making it watertight.

Interesting. Will have to give that one a whirl.

My four year old son was promised a keyring if he behaved nicely at the dentist, and what do you know, he did! I cleaned off the dribbles after I took this shot.

The coin is a British 2p, which is 25.9mm in diameter.

Printed in Prima 3D PETG, 0.2mm layers, 250C, 30mm/sec outer walls, 45mm/sec everything else, no supports, 10 line brim, bed temp 75C.

5a331c2462360_toothkeyring.thumb.jpg.fe9fb69bd46a5d2b61d770567b085d6e.jpg

5a331c2462360_toothkeyring.thumb.jpg.fe9fb69bd46a5d2b61d770567b085d6e.jpg

• Like 3

This guy is basically the reason I buyed 3d printer in the first place but he is still have a lot to achieve in the future. First there were a lot of delays with work, then design completely changed because I got better at it, and then work caught up on me again. Consisiting that I am often procrastinate like a lot, despite that my printer is now 2 years old, this project is still far from finished - most parts here are just tests, not the final variants.

project_virus_bjd__update_by_darth_biomech-da1agmr.jpg

The specific latest print is the chest piece)

• Like 4

Started building this December 2015. Head Dome from the BB8 builders club.

Sphere Body Frame my own design. This will be a full scale, RC animatronic working

droid.

5a331c24afc7f_BB8SPHERE.thumb.jpg.b5cdb8035f1de5e7f6ab50c9bb12753f.jpg

5a331c24afc7f_BB8SPHERE.thumb.jpg.b5cdb8035f1de5e7f6ab50c9bb12753f.jpg

Edited by Guest
    • Like 7

Nice work on BB-8 There's so many ways to build it with the different approaches. I am still in 'pause' mode, seeing how builders make out with the design choices. I'll follow their trial and error :)