Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade

Posted · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade
9 hours ago, rigs said:

{IF NEWTOOL=0} M104 S[extruder2_temperature] T1
{IF NEWTOOL=0} M104 S[extruder0_temperature] T0
{IF NEWTOOL=1} M104 S[extruder2_temperature] T0
{IF NEWTOOL=1} M104 S[extruder1_temperature] T1

You have to insert the idle temp after the T[new_tool] line otherwise the firmware ignore it and drops the temp at something like 175/120/80.

Example, T0 is the idle/old tool, T1 the new active tool :

T[new_tool] / T1 ;

{IF NEWTOOL=1} M104 S[extruder2_temperature] T0 ; T0 at idle temp

{IF NEWTOOL=1} M109 S[extruder1_temperature] T1 ; wait T1 active temp

I really like your idea to use another extruder to set the idle temp!

About the placeholders, the main ones are posted from neotko in the link above here, other instead are scattered in S3D forum.

• Thanks 1

On ‎29‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:04 PM, rigs said:

hey @tinkergnome, i have a problem with my code. When the temperature drops, it stabilizes at 80 ° and not 170 ° for both extruders.

[extruder2_temperature] = 170° ( managed cooling variable on S3D side, dummy T2 tool )

{IF NEWTOOL=0} M104 S[extruder2_temperature] T1
{IF NEWTOOL=0} M104 S[extruder0_temperature] T0
{IF NEWTOOL=1} M104 S[extruder2_temperature] T0
{IF NEWTOOL=1} M104 S[extruder1_temperature] T1

What do you think ?

if this is for the S3d - could this be used on a dual headed machine as well as the Mark 2 head on the UM,, 

my script for tool change at moment is 

{IF NEWTOOL=0}T0 ; start tool switch 0

{IF NEWTOOL=0}G1 Y250 F8000 ; travel

{IF NEWTOOL=0}G1 E-0.5 F500 ; fast purge

{IF NEWTOOL=1}T1 ; start tool switch 1

{IF NEWTOOL=1}G1 Y250 F8000 ; travel

{IF NEWTOOL=1}G1 E-0.5 F500 ; fast purge

I note that the M104 might be the issue Any thoughts on this or advise ?????

Hello Everybody. Happy New Year!.

I as a lot of people I´ve been following this project for along time, waiting for it for the realase of all the information. Finally we have it all togheter and I can set this wonderfull mod on my printer. 

First at all, sorry for the bad english redaction.

I have some questions related to the dock position. I have a Ultimaker 2 aluminum clone (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:811271) , and I would like to set this MarK2 project on it. Because the chassis configuration is different to the Original Ultimaker2, the "clamping-dock" part posted in the Mark2-Boom does not fits very at all. I am modificating this part for it fit it on my printer, but I have somes questions.

- To which distance must be the low side of the clamping dock from the extrude head axis?? 
    - Which distance I have consider from the clamping dock sides to the slider blocks of the printerhead ??
    - Any additional cosideration?

I have attached some picture of my doubts.

Docking position.PNG

Docking position -4.PNG

On the bottom side the dock must not be in the way of the axis, see photo, red line.

And of course the X / Y slider blocks must not hit the dock, so the outer walls of the dock (facing the frame), must be as far from the frame to allow the slider blocks to pass. See second photo.

IMG_9869.jpg

IMG_9870.jpg

7 hours ago, morfeushav said:

I have some questions related to the dock position.

My advice would be to take the .step file of the Ultimaker2 (from github) and the step files of the Mark2 parts, and load a digital version of the mark2 with all the components into your CAD program, so you can take all the measurements you need.

I am still struggling with Cura 3.1, crashes all the time when loading someting, so went back to 3.04.

But there is still the problem with the quality definitions / can not save one, or load one. I know there is the solution in saving the project, but i have a feeling the 3.1 problem is related.

Does anyone has a solution? is it possible to get an updated "cura resourses" on Github?

Many thanks!

On 1/2/2018 at 1:02 PM, morfeushav said:

I have a Ultimaker 2 aluminum clone (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:811271) , and I would like to set this MarK2 project on it. Because the chassis configuration is different to the Original Ultimaker2, the "clamping-dock" part posted in the Mark2-Boom does not fits very at all.

Hi there

I have a UM2 Aluminium clone as well and have started modifying the dock to place it in the correct position.  I managed to work out the location as described by using the method described by Ultiarjan above.

Note:  I have not printed or fitted these parts as I am waiting for materials to arrive for my upgrade.

I've designed a mount which attaches into the front right corner of the frame with 3x M3 cap head screws and captive nuts in the aluminium rails

image.thumb.png.b5823fa9661f9078aaf8ff0886f46130.png

I've also modified the dock so that it attaches using 2x M3 countersunk screws and nuts dropped into mount.

image.thumb.png.a3ccb8e634c0ff529ee1391ab8a7d5c3.png

These changes should put the dock in the correct position.

I've made the parts available on Thingiverse. (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2751138)

• Like 2

Hello All!

Long time reader, first time poster.

I've just finished installing my Mark2 upgrade, it's looking incredible, thank you to all the developers for their hard work.

I'll post some pictures of finished prints but seem to be having a few problems with my power supply. I've got the correct supply however when heating the bed and the nozzles, as soon as the bed is of the right temperature, the machine cuts out and restarts.

I thought this may have something to do with the bed heater using too much power so knocked it down from 60 to 30 degrees but I still encountered the same problem. I had a play around with the power budget in the firmware but with no luck sadly. I have been able to do a couple of calibration prints so this issue doesn't occur all the time but still a problem nevertheless. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks in advance, looking forward to becoming part of the community.

Hi Ultimatum,

Welcome to the Mark2 user group!

The PSU might shut down with  dual extrusion, if all heaters and steppers are switched on at the same time.

There are power budget settings in the firmware to limit the wattage for the heaters and bed heater.

I suggest using the forum search with "power budget".

• Like 1

The bed uses MORE power at 30 degrees than 60 degrees so that is definitely not the best solution, lol.  The resistance of the heater changes with temperature.

Look at what other's chose for their power budget settings.

I am creating too a holder for mount the clamping dock on a ultimaker 2 aluminum clone. I haven´t have yet the final part., and I have to test it. This is how looks

HOLDER CLAMPING 2.PNG

HOLDER CLAMPING.PNG

• Like 3

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade

I'm playing the waiting game on parts...I want to use the same style feeder as the UM2+, so there's one on the slow boat from China via Ebay coming at some point this month. We'll see! I have a bulldog feeder laying around but it's huge compared to the stock UM2+ geared one. Once it arrives I think I have to make it into a left (or is that right?) configuration for the 2nd head.

Thanks to GR5 for the Mark2 upgrade goodies & Fabrc8 for the UM2+ fan shroud (replacing the original UM2 shroud) I upgraded to a Olsen block with the original head way back with a GR5 heater, so I'm good for the hot end. I don't have a source for the UM2+ feeder in the States...it's like the parts mafia hasn't released it yet. Even so, bet it wouldn't be cheap.

Parts printed...just a waitin'... :|

Edited by WiseOldOwl

So I got the problems with my PSU sorted and I've printed a couple of traffic cones.

The prints have a very rough finish to them and some of the early prints had bleeding between layers. I have noticed in Cura that the default temperatures are set to 200 so suspect this may be the cause of the problem; i'll bump them up to 210 which is what my printer normally runs at and try again.

Has anyone had a similar experience and can offer their tips?

DSCF1874.JPG

The white looks underextruded, especially in the upper half. There are several possible reasons.

Is the white filament oozing during idle times?

Perhaps the printing temp is too low when the white starts to print after pausing.  

Do you use a prime tower?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, foehnsturm said:

The white looks underextruded, especially in the upper half. There are several possible reasons.

Is the white filament oozing during idle times?

Perhaps the printing temp is too low when the white starts to print after pausing.  

Do you use a prime tower?

There's no oozing and prime tower. I suspect the temperature is the problem, I just set it off and watched the first portion of the print, the white starts trying to print <200 degrees after pausing. I've upped the temperature, restarted the print and will see if it improves.

Thanks for your reply. Would you recommend a prime tower?

No no, I don't like prime towers at all ;p

2 minutes ago, foehnsturm said:

Oh good, I definitely thought they were a no-go ':D

Check the Cura settings, there are 3 temps to set, initial temperature, print temperature and final temperature, they allow 10 C of tolerance. I set them all the same.

And then, which color is the new / 2nd extruder and what kind of extruder is it? Is it a UM2+ extruder or a UM2 extruder?

Afaik the UM2 extruder has less power, maybe this is an issue?

Edited by conny_g
    • Like 1

5 hours ago, foehnsturm said:

ofc nobody likes the extra printing time, but imho they are pretty helpfull in getting better quality.... so I would definitely not write prime towers off....

• Like 3

On 8-1-2018 at 9:49 PM, RudydG said:

I am still struggling with Cura 3.1, crashes all the time when loading someting, so went back to 3.04.

But there is still the problem with the quality definitions / can not save one, or load one. I know there is the solution in saving the project, but i have a feeling the 3.1 problem is related.

Does anyone has a solution? is it possible to get an updated "cura resourses" on Github?

Many thanks!

I run 3.1 with the Mark2 without problems. Maybe you should cleanout the Cura folder and do a clean reinstall? maybe you've had the Cura beta installed before and thats causing an issue.

If you decide to "clean out the cura folder" make sure you delete everything in %appdata%/cura/3.1/

• Like 1

On 1/11/2018 at 3:23 PM, ultiarjan said:

I run 3.1 with the Mark2 without problems. Maybe you should cleanout the Cura folder and do a clean reinstall? maybe you've had the Cura beta installed before and thats causing an issue.

On 1/11/2018 at 3:40 PM, gr5 said:

If you decide to "clean out the cura folder" make sure you delete everything in %appdata%/cura/3.1/

Guys, i swiped my complete harddrive, every ultimaker or cura related thing, hidden or not hidden, was deleted. (the first crashing version of cura 3.1 never even made it to my computer)

Really sad, as Cura is the easy way to use an ultimaker (my UM3 at my office is 100% supported by Cura, wonderfull), but with my UM2+ MK2 i am really struggling.

Just thinking about converting my 2nd UM2+ to a Mark 2, as I have one „old“ UM2 hotend left from the conversion of UM2 to UM2+ of that.

So the question is what are the non-fixable compromises of the UM2 drive train & hotend.

What where the differences of the UM2+ upgrade again?

Feeder

• don’t care, will use a Bondtech

Print head

• Olsson block - don’t care, will covert to 3D Solex Matchless V3. Is it possible to mod the UM2 head with that?
    • Stronger heater - already ordered a set of 50W
    • Spring vs. alu ring above the coupler - does that make a difference?

Fans and cabling:

• one was a different hotend Fan and how it’s connected (UM2 always on, UM2+ controlled by firmware?) ? Is it the same fan? 
    • The fan shroud is optimized on the 2+. Could print one.
    • And wasn’t there something with the model fans, too? Are they same or different?

Cheers,

Conny 

Edited by conny_g

14 minutes ago, conny_g said:

Just thinking about coverting my 2nd UM2+ to a Mark 2, as I have one „old“ UM2 hotend left from the conversion of UM2 to UM2+ of that.

So the question is what are the non-fixable compromises of the UM2 drive train & hotend.

What where the differences of the UM2+ upgrade again?

• Feeder -  don’t care, will use a Bondtech
    • Olsson block - don’t care, will covert to 3D Solex Matchless V3. Is it possible to mod the UM2 head with that?
    • Stronger heater - already ordered a set of 50W
    • Spring vs. alu ring above the coupler - does that make a difference?
    • Fans and cabling: I think there were two changes, one was a different hotend Fan and how it’s connected (UM2 always on, UM2+ controlled by firmware?) ? The fan shroud is optimized on the 2+. And wasn’t there something with the model fans, too? Are they same or different?

Cheers,

Conny 

Spring ve alu ring makes a big difference , and you can get that fan mount on aliexpress real cheap from san brother store, their representative alinda qi is very helpful, rest all you have is awesum and great.