Sharing some exciting news: the Ultimaker 2+

SandervG

Posted (edited) · Sharing some exciting news: the Ultimaker 2+

Am I correct in assuming the 2+ upgrade kit will also fit the Ultimaker 2Go?

Not the feeder as it's reversed and it's too bulky

Sounds like a challenge ;)

Edited by Guest
  • Like 2

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Sharing some exciting news: the Ultimaker 2+

No additional holes needed. It comes with an adapter plate that is mounted with the four screws that hold the feeder motor.

Interesting! So the conversion kit functionally makes a UM2+ out of a UM2, but it's really a 3rd variant (in that a converted UM2 and a new UM2+ aren't identical). Are there any other deltas you know of aside from the extruder housing adapter plate?

Will there be a TFM coupler for Ultimakers Original or we don't get some love?

Any price orientation for the geared feeder? I want three!

TFM; it is not recommended. The diameter would fit but the TFM is a bit longer so it could make it wobble or unstable. But there is plenty of love, don't forget it!

Price; not yet!

It will be a conclusive upgrade pack, so everything to upgrade your Ultimaker 2.

And what about just a umo+ size TFM couplers? I bet many umo/umo+ users would love to avoid replacing it each 100-200h. As TFM ptfe can work continuously at 260C it would make many users happy. And sounds like a natural step to follow. That will also call many users that just buy in china because it's expensive to keep it alive.

So if you make TFM UMO/UMO+ Couplers:

- Happy users

- Users stop buying at china clones

- You show you keep giving love to the original machines

- Ultimaker makes revenue.

- Happy dance :)

Edited by Guest
    • Like 3

should be simple to adjust the mounting plate for the other side of the printer... it will stay bulky ofcourse. .. but I feel ultimaker should provide a upgrade for the go also...
    • Like 1

(and with a terrible forum software)

I totally agree.  They've nearly wrecked their showpiece...their community....by mucking around with the forums.  Either buy a platform like vBulletin and leave it alone!  8)

Yeah, I was really hoping that taking the website offline meant we would get the old forum back, or at least a forum based on common forum software.

That kind of "upgrade" would have made perfect sense together with the community-inspired upgrades on the UM2+ !

Getting the old community back is far more important to me than the UM2+ improvements actually.

I would come back and give it a try if that happened for sure , although it might already be too late to recover the old community. December 2015 saw about 80 posts/day compared to about 170/day December 2014 as an example, and the trend is declining.

• Like 6

should be simple to adjust the mounting plate for the other side of the printer... it will stay bulky ofcourse. ..  but I feel ultimaker should provide a upgrade for the go also...

Maybe someone who has an Ultimaker 2 and an Ultimaker 2 Go (a reseller probably) could try the upgrade kit on an UM2 Go and see if it works, so any potential customers will know what they are up to if they try to upgrade their Go.

Ultimaker has already tried it, but their quality standards are sometimes too high, and there are some users that don't mind doing some dirty work in order to get better printing quality.

- Happy users

You had me at happy dance. ;) Let me have a look around and see what the options are in this regard!

Edited by Guest
    • Like 3

Darn.... I planned on having 2 Olsson blocks for 2.85mm and 1.75mm filament and remove the unused nozzle to not have it hit anything and keep things perfectly reliable.

I already have made a better solution to the UM2+ plastic top without a second hole:

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/um2-print-head-top-for-2-85-1-75-filaments

;)

• Like 1

Will the new fan shroud fit the Um2Go? Are the fans the same as the Um2/2Go?

I have my printed shroud which is simular on my 2go and it fits fine.

The new fan shroud is actually a tad smaller than yours @Labern, i just measured it, so it should fit on the UM2GO with no problem :-)

Sweet. So now it's back to hacking the feeder to make it fit :p

- Happy users

You had me at happy dance. ;)Let me have a look around and see what the options are in this regard!

Please add to your list new PT100 for UMO+ !

Sounds like the accuracy would be a great improvement too.

• Like 1

@Labern: From the looks of it, it may be able to fit without hitting the plastic edge, but will probably interfere with the screws for the Y-axis motor, either way it is nothing a dremel cant fix but not just plug-and-play. ;)

Sweet. I get one and have a play.

E3D has stainless steel nozzles that fit in the Olsson block btw.

Well at least you guys aren't afraid to admit when someone external comes up with a good idea. The Olsson block as default is awesome and the spacer instead of the spring massively improves things for me as well.

So in the feeder the roller now has recess space to keep the filament in place and the knurled wheel has changed. Seems like a very good upgrade traction/retraction wise.

However: The biggest reason for me to go with a custom feeder was the extremely irritating changing of filament. Give me a quick release any time instead of that painful process. Especially if you just broke the filament or something (it happens!)

What was said before is also my impression: This upgrade again focusses more on trying to deliver a better plug and play printer for the less technical/stupid home user. Understandable, but it doesn't get my inner nerd excited :)

The Q&A remark is accurate IMO, when I received mine the wires interconnecting the LED strips were touching the rollers in both corners... I have friction damage on both connections up to the point where you can see the copper. It's a bit of a shame that a device this expensive has stupid issues like that.

Slightly off topic:

The coolest upgrades for me would be direct drive and and that your heater block fan would turn off at the end of a print. I think 2 is already a reality on the new versions but I'm not going to buy a new printer there.

Would also like to see a list with some measured TTLs for the different parts of the printer. It's just that things are starting to squeak and "krrr" on mine (yes I do lubricate everything regularly!) and I wonder if it's about to fall apart. I think a potential buyer might want to know too that his printer will possibly fail mechanically after say 5.000 printing hours (just throwing a number in there)

Edited by Guest

Wow a bunch of upgrades and i literally just bought my ultimaker 2 extended on dec 24th, i asked the ultimaker rep in Canada if i should wait(because i knew the ultimaker 3 might be right around the corner) he said no..feel pretty ripped off to be honest, if i knew this i would have waited the whole week and a half..... pretty piss off right now...

Edited by Guest

(and with a terrible forum software)

I totally agree.  They've nearly wrecked their showpiece...their community....by mucking around with the forums.  Either buy a platform like vBulletin and leave it alone!  8)

Yeah, I was really hoping that taking the website offline meant we would get the old forum back, or at least a forum based on common forum software.

That kind of "upgrade" would have made perfect sense together with the community-inspired upgrades on the UM2+ !

Getting the old community back is far more important to me than the UM2+ improvements actually.

I would come back and give it a try if that happened for sure , although it might already be too late to recover the old community. December 2015 saw about 80 posts/day compared to about 170/day December 2014 as an example, and the trend is declining.

correct about the forum, this is the result you get when you search for UM2+ on this forum...

upgrading (or at least make it work) the search of this forum would improve the usability a lot, this is imo also a reason why they have such a high bounce rate... because people use Google instead of the forum search to find stuff. :)

• Like 1

Resellers knew about this something like a week ago... so he might have been honest with you

Resellers knew about this something like a week ago... so he might have been honest with you

Sorry but even if that's true this doesn't make me feel much better about spending 5K a week and a half ago, to buy outdated equipment, when i could have purchased a newer model literally a week and a half later for the exact same price.... whats the return policy for ultimaker?

Edited by Guest

Sorry but even if that's true this doesn't make me feel much better about spending 5K a week and a half ago, to buy outdated equipment, when i could have purchased a newer model literally a week and a half later... whats the return policy for ultimaker?

Did you ask Ultimaker if they would do anything to compensate you?

@SandervG I got similar questions via PM, do you have any policy for people who bought end of 2015? any sharp discount on the upgrade?

Sorry but even if that's true this doesn't make me feel much better about spending 5K a week and a half ago, to buy outdated equipment, when i could have purchased a newer model literally a week and a half later... whats the return policy for ultimaker?

Did you ask Ultimaker if they would do anything to compensate you?

@SandervG  I got similar questions via PM, do you have any policy for people who bought end of 2015? any sharp discount on the upgrade?

Yeah not yet but i will be calling them tomorrow morning, and i will either be getting a discount or returning this or something, I'm really not happy.