Sharing some exciting news: the Ultimaker 2+

SandervG

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited) · Sharing some exciting news: the Ultimaker 2+

Lol, i was concerned about the fan shroud for a while, and regreted trying to install new designs that just didnt seem to fit either with wires sticking out the back or for alternative setups and just gave up eventually going back to the original one, so just bend your existing one slightly to direct the air flow a bit further down and i think you'll be fine, in not in the game of buying stuff i wont need. I already have the OB and a spare pt100 and a 35W heater lying about, but again you dont need them either as i thought the 35W heater was needed for the OB but i was wrong. Some people dont even turn their fans on depending what they print. also the more accurate temp sensor is pointless as long as your one gives stable consistent readings as mine does even though it split when i removed it from the old heatblock. my flow is constant so my temps remain constant. My next purchase will be a new printer rather than upgrades. It would be nice to see some side by side comparisons of a good UM2 detailed print vs a good UM2+ print, as from what ive seen there is not much in it at all if anything at all. The feeder only really improves your print if you print on the roll otherwise it makes no difference unless it actually pushes more material than the other one as i have heard in posts, but whatever, im happy where i am with my UM2 and its staying as it is till it dies from now on (aside from essential maintenance). Im no good at tinkering so ill leave it up to others and have heard from many people that they regretted messing with their printers in order to 'improve them' myself included.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Posted · Sharing some exciting news: the Ultimaker 2+

So is the UM2+ stepper motor more powerful or have a better torque curve? Or is it just the same as the UM2 but with a shorter axis?

As far as I know it's pretty much the same one.

I would guess that it is a two-part thing, that one part is better torque curve and the other part is that by going from 400 to 200 stepps it does not get a incredibly high steps/mm value.

The upgrades on the UM2+ is simply amazing. New fan shroud is spot on and the redesigned feeder is great.

• Like 1

When will the + upgrade become available for UM2 (EXT) owners?

I really want to upgrade to the + version asap. :)

Thanks!

Mickael

Edited by Guest
    misspelled

Take a pen draw + and finish XD

No just a joke they say first quarter this month end the quarter

• Like 2

Take a pen draw + and finish XD

No just a joke they say first quarter this month end the quarter

Ok thanx, I hope so...

It is live :)

Here you can find the post that introduces the launch and there is even an opportunity to win one :)

• Like 1

Very nice, but why are there new print head shafts same as for the print head? The only change there is the fan shroud, heaterblock+nozzles and the coupler.

Edited by Guest

Very nice, but why are there new print head shafts same as for the print head? The only change there is the fan shroud, heaterblock+nozzles and the coupler.

Well, just about everything was tweaked from the original um2 print head; Olson Block pre-installed, dual extrusion path closed up, new heater, new temp sensor, and new fan shroud. You don't have much left from the original after all those upgrades, so why not make it an easy upgrade with a fully assembled print head.

Not sure on the shafts though, didn't read anything on that previously.

• Like 1

It is live :)

Here you can find the post that introduces the launch and there is even an opportunity to win one :)

I'll just watch the contest from the bleachers, haven't been able to print with my um2 successfully for over a month. Just ordered a full kit, since I would like a working printer again.

Can I print my contest entry on my other printer? ;-)

What is that 'other printer'?

Does it start with U and ends with Ltimaker Original? :p

How to order this from Singapore? All the web shop don't work for my country. Any advice? Thanks.

How to order this from Singapore? All the web shop don't work for my country. Any advice? Thanks.

Let me find out!
    • Like 1

What is that 'other printer'?

Does it start with U and ends with Ltimaker Original? :p

Nope, it's starts with a "Fab" and ends with a "rikator Mini 1.5". Since I was in the middle of printing parts for the "Mostly Printed CNC" when my UM2 went down for the count. Bought this to finish the job.

Some of the OLD UM2's had different heights for the black parts. I guess this way it makes sure everything would fit.

Normally when you change bearings its also good to change the shafts otherwise new bearings end up being used on warn or damaged shafts.

• Like 2

Hi @TheDeugd or @SandervG,

you wrote:

...the build speed volume can go up all the way to 24mm3/s with a 0.8mm nozzle...

How did you get to this number? Is this a theoretical value or did you do some measurements to determine the max flowrate of 24 mm³/s?

In the shop of a Shop in Switzerland they anouced a dual Head Upgrade.

Unfortunatly without more detailed info about the type of Printer.

I would be happy if this would be available in some time for Ultimaker 2+.

Especially to build support structure with washable material.

Somebody nows more?

Hi and welcome to the community

What you saw there is probably the dual extrusion upgrade for the Ultimaker Original and it's not compatible with the 2+

There won't be an official dual upgrade for the 2+ (Although never is a big word, just don't count on it being developed by us)

In the shop of a Shop in Switzerland they anouced a dual Head Upgrade.

Unfortunatly without more detailed info about the type of Printer.

I would be happy if this would be available in some time for Ultimaker 2+.

Especially  to build support structure with washable material.

Somebody nows more?

Can you please provide a link?

I remember reading about a not-yet-ready kit from a 3rd party a few months ago. But I didn't save the link and can't find it in this forum by searching...could it have been that one? I don't think there were too many details about it on their website, only that it would be coming.