Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

Guest maht

Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

You're welcome, we're happy to help where we can. I'm happy you managed to perform the XY calibration. The flow sensor did not trigger because it is in the feeder, not the print head. Even though it was not printing, that is because it was retracted too far. Not because it was not feeding any filament. So the flow sensor/ feeder was working correctly, it just received the wrong command that made it retract too much prior to the calibration. 

Hope this helps, and also gives you some more insight in how the flow sensor works 🙂

Not entirely relevant but perhaps interesting to know: The flow sensor is not activated during the first 2 layers of a print because of small height differences and changing pressure in the nozzle could easily result in false positives. It is activated from the third layer, where the flow became more consistent/predictable. At layer 3, when something is preventing a proper flow/feed of the filament, it will trigger then. This should still be fast enough to prevent any big problems and reduce the loss of time to a minimum. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, piphil said:

One thing that does puzzle me however - why is it that the S5 didn't realise that there was no plastic flow during the calibration process? Wouldn't the flow sensor pick up that it was printing nothing?

If I am correct, the flow sensor does not kick in until a layer or two has been printed.

Also, if retracted too far, it will be feeding, just not at the nozzle yet.

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

Hi SandervG,

I have an Ultimaker 3 with this Buggy Firmware... In moment my biggest problem is, that this FW

totally ignore, what I has loaded. I loaded ABS in each Core and tell it the FW, but at calibration

the FW set 190 for Core 1 and 210 for Core 2. Not very clever to ignore, what I has loaded, If

I want to print with it a Kalibration. Or must I in future always have suitable material ready for

calibration? Not really good, or?

With regards, Digibike

Edited by Digibike

I'm a U3 user that is having lots of issues since firmware update. 3D printing is not (at the moment) mission-critical, so it's just been sitting there dead. Decide to see if the hotfix is up today, and come on here. See developer saying it's probably not that many people...but how do you know? I haven't said anything on forum or elsewhere. My printer is unusable because of this terrible update. Roll it back or fix it quickly, please. I think the scale of problems is worse than YOU realize, because many users are probably like me.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, tvud said:

I'm a U3 user that is having lots of issues since firmware update. 3D printing is not (at the moment) mission-critical, so it's just been sitting there dead. Decide to see if the hotfix is up today, and come on here. See developer saying it's probably not that many people...but how do you know? I haven't said anything on forum or elsewhere. My printer is unusable because of this terrible update. Roll it back or fix it quickly, please. I think the scale of problems is worse than YOU realize, because many users are probably like me.

I am on the same situation here, i work daily with this printer, and i cant literally print anything since the update, please help!

Nothing printed successfully since the firmware update. Time flies fast, you know...

I am truly disappointed by the lack of interest shown by the UM team. 

Releasing an unstable firmware, letting the suppliers and moderators (working outside UM) deal with unhappy customers without providing any solutions; this isn't an appropriate behaviour for a high rated company. 

Personally I won't send mu UM3 to my French supplier to have the firmware downgraded. This would cost me way to much to fix a problem I didn't create myself. 

Anyway more and more people around me want to try 3D printing. Don't rely on me to promote UM products as I don't trust their seriousness and efficiency any more.

One of the so-called 1% customers affected by the disastrous firmware update.

Count me as one of the one percenters. I think there are a whole bunch of us not complaining which is contributing to the illusion that very few are having issues. I think that since we paid a premium for our printer we trust that Ultimaker will make things right. I am starting to think that trust may be misplaced. Rethinking my purchase.

I just posted on their Facebook page about the issues, and their lack of response. I guess if all those with issue did the same they

might start to show some interest. 

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

Thank you all for making clear that it’s not a 0.1 percent issue but rather a 0.1 percent audience that is speaking. This was my position long ago when the Ultimaker Team stated that their element of urgency protocol followed the percentage of complaints. The USA distributors I speak with are at odds with the situation and don’t know what to do.

Your posts are important on many levels. 

It make “all” aware that because issues are not posted is “not” evidence of lack of issues.

Speaking from my recent personal experience; the 2 USA distributors; they  have been waiting many weeks with no direction from the Ultimaker Team shared.

I hope that many more .01 percenter’s speak out so as to add to the value of the core forum members that do.

Takes care

Edited by Shadowman
    Spelling

I've been following this thread since the firmware update bricked my printer, in the hopes that UM would recognize the catastrophic problem and at least provide a path to downgrading the firmware. But here we all are, almost a month later, with no hotfix in sight. 

My specific problem is that once I updated to 5.2, the machine won't level (active or manual), and ends the leveling process by saying there's a connection problem to my print head(s). I switched out the core with a brand new one, and that too gives the same ER18.

It's highly unrealistic that this isn't related to the firmware because I finished a print literally moments before updating to 5.2. I tried to start a new print after clearing the plate, and the error appeared. It also failed to recognize my material that was just used in the previous print, and then actively refused to let me change it. But that seems to have resolved itself after 10+ times of trying to force it to commit a material change. 

Anyway, just throwing my comment in here to help draw more awareness. 

Although you consider the possibilty of your error 18 not to be related to the firmware upgrade as small I think that indeed they just accidentally popped up around the same time.

Please check the forum here for error 18 related topics. Unfortunately, I do not have a link at hand right now. Re-mounting the print head cable on the print head solves the promlen in almost every case.

Exactly the error is my printer in the calibration synonymous, the cable is not, everything was checked, it did not work after the firmware update ... have my Ulti 3 Ex now sent to the dealer, but they are annoyed, for that  is my time too bad ..... at the price I really expect a better care ..... and I am also of the opinion that it is more than 1% by the firmware problems have .... times one  Another question: Can one be satisfied as a company if 1% of the customers are no longer satisfied?  I would definitely not be ..... Happy Easter

On 4/12/2019 at 11:00 PM, tvud said:

On 4/13/2019 at 8:52 PM, Lariniel said:

I am on the same situation here, i work daily with this printer, and i cant literally print anything since the update, please help!

We're sorry to hear this. It's based on the feedback we received from our sales partners, and the reports they've received from their customers. If nothing is being reported, it's true that issues may remain unnoticed. If you can elaborate on your issues perhaps we can provide some help until the new firmware is released. 

44 minutes ago, SandervG said:

We're sorry to hear this. It's based on the feedback we received from our sales partners, and the reports they've received from their customers. If nothing is being reported, it's true that issues may remain unnoticed. If you can elaborate on your issues perhaps we can provide some help until the new firmware is released

As far as I'm concerned (mainly one UM3 with non-working XY calibration), I think that the already acknowledged issues should be fixed before asking to elaborate and provide detailed bug reports for other potential issues...

19 minutes ago, Matioupi said:

As far as I'm concerned (mainly one UM3 with non-working XY calibration), I think that the already acknowledged issues should be fixed before asking to elaborate and provide detailed bug reports for other potential issues...

Hi, we're working on a solution. In the meantime, you can do an XY calibration by manually pushing your filament in before the calibration starts. We realize it is not ideal (and should not be necessary), but it's a successful workaround until the firmware is fixed. 

Some issues that have been reported here, were able to get fixed with a factory reset or cura connect reset. My proposal was to see if perhaps we can find a 'short term' solution for other issues as well. If other issues are reported of which we can include a fix in the new firmware version that would be a gain as well.

4 minutes ago, SandervG said:

If other issues are reported.......

Sooooo, you are asking for more grief......😂

Hi,

Pushing manuell the Filament is fine, but for my Problem not real the Right way, how I wrote

here:

"Hi SandervG,

I have an Ultimaker 3 with this Buggy Firmware... In moment my biggest problem is, that this FW

totally ignore, what I has loaded. I loaded ABS in each Core and tell it the FW, but at calibration

the FW set 190 for Core 1 and 210 for Core 2. Not very clever to ignore, what I has loaded, If

I want to print with it a Kalibration. Or must I in future always have suitable material ready for

calibration? Not really good, or?"

The Fw ignores completly, what was loaded …!

With regards, Digibike

When you say you are working on a solution, why not just release the previous version of software as a hotfix. This did not have all the issues reported here so voila problem solved in the short term. Interested to know what priority is being given to this "hotfix" as 3 weeks on it seems to be just vapourware.

Also interested to know if this 5.2.8 version is still available to download, as everyone who installs it is likely to experience problems.

I don't read from UM replies anything about the issue of printing in thin air, in my case 10-12mm above the bed, which is caused if

any Z-offset is used (i cannot print ABS on my UM3 unless i set a small negative Z-offset) has this issue been ignored, or is it recognised

as something which needs to be worked on?

1 hour ago, itretail said:

When you say you are working on a solution, why not just release the previous version of software as a hotfix. This did not have all the issues reported here so voila problem solved in the short term.

I completely agree. If my current issue is unrelated to the firmware, then I should be able to definitively prove that by rolling back to the previous version and seeing if the problem persists. Why is it incumbent upon me to jump through a bunch of hoops to prove this? 

16 hours ago, Digibike said:

Hi,

Pushing manuell the Filament is fine, but for my Problem not real the Right way, how I wrote

here:

"Hi SandervG,

calibration? Not really good, or?"

The Fw ignores completly, what was loaded …!

With regards, Digibike

Hi, I realize this. I've forwarded your issue to one of our developers and asked for his input. Thank you for your time and patience. 

17 hours ago, itretail said:

When you say you are working on a solution, why not just release the previous version of software as a hotfix. This did not have all the issues reported here so voila problem solved in the short term. Interested to know what priority is being given to this "hotfix" as 3 weeks on it seems to be just vapourware.

In theory this would be a good idea, but as I understand it doesn't work like that. The previous firmware does not fit anymore within the new 'structure' the new firmware introduced. You can override it though, but this is more complicated than pressing 'download and reboot'. For an Ultimaker 3, instructions on how to do it, and guidelines on why you should or should not do it can be found here

For an Ultimaker 5, unfortunately only authorized sales partners can do this. Instructions can be found in the same thread. 

I really don't understand what all the fuss is about with respect to this recent FW upgrade, given that only a single error was introduced that can easily be rectified.  Immediately correct the firmware title to read "5.2 BETA" as it should have originally been named, and then ask for our forgiveness and praise our assistance for our unwitting conscription into service as your community software debugging team.

Same might be said for Cura 4.0 as well since both "stable" upgrades were pushed out at the same time, and I am not entirely convinced that it doesn't have its own contributing issues.

You're welcome! 

1 hour ago, N9ssham said:

given that only a single error was introduced that can easily be rectified.

I have read about more than one error. Then, there is the issue of bricked machines, which is a total collection of errors. And,  there is the thing about trying to not have this happen again.

And, though, limited in programming experience, nothing is ever that easy in practice.

On 4/12/2019 at 12:56 PM, piphil said:

One thing that does puzzle me however - why is it that the S5 didn't realise that there was no plastic flow during the calibration process? Wouldn't the flow sensor pick up that it was printing nothing?

Afaik the flow sensor is integrated in the feeder's housing and not in the printcore. So it does detect positiv material flow, which is correct.